Sad state!!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lordtigerhawk, Mar 18, 2012.

1. lordtigerhawk

lordtigerhawk Well-Known Member

I just got back from a local toy show in the city next to me. I had High hope of finding some old transformers for some Kitbash I want to do. All I found was over priced Junk. Don't get me wrong there was some alight stuff there just not the parts I needed. Found some loose Classic line transformers from about 6 to 8 years ago. All of them loose with no instructions and not cards. The guy who I spoke to told me the same price 30 dollars. I can see if it was still in the package, but loose no instructions. What are you smoking crack. I just set the items back down on this table and walked away. The sad part Is he was selling to other folks there, fans like myself I was able to answer questions and tell folks about the bots more than the vendor. What a Dumb Bunny :scalper  If you going to sell transformers know more about them than that.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    More interest/awareness -> Higher Demand -> Higher Prices

It's the downside to Transformers riding high at the moment.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I get this all the time at car boot sales now. Where I used to be able to find a figure for a quid or less now it's ridiculous prices because they're 'rare transformers from that movie'. Someone once had a battered Energon Optimus, no chest doors, no extra helmet, no gun or drones or trailer and he wanted (if I remember correctly) £8 for it just because it was Optimus Prime. Maybe my opinion was coloured slightly because a month or so before I'd got a complete great condition Energon Optimus from a car boot sale for just £6.

Another time I found a junker G1 Wheeljack missing just about everything it could, including the chest hatch, and yellowed to buggery, and the guy wanted £40 for it just because 'it's vintage'. I was accused of trying to rip him off when I pointed out his serious error in pricing. Are these people just looking up the figures online and taking the price for complete good quality figures as their guideline regardless of the tatty figure they have in hand?
    Funnily enough the same guy was there a few months later and that Wheeljack was now in the bargain bucket with a load of junky die-cast cars. I guess enough people had laughed in his face by then to convince him he'd been wrong. So I bought it for like 10p and gave it to one of the little kids that bought a figure from me off my own occasional stall, where I price any figures I sell a little more realistically.

At least I know the general value of these things. I'm sad for anyone buying at those false prices and thinking they've got something valuable.

4. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

It's supply and demand. I have seen classics being sold for a lot more than that (and in less than stellar quality, too). I bidded on Classics Sunstreaker on Oztion fairly recently and got outbid at $81. Someone just wanted him more than me I guess....still sucks hard though.

The high costs of everything Transformers does piss me off a little, but it is what it is and I either pay the prices or I don't get the toy that I want. I did find some generations on clearance at K-Mart though, including 2 I didn't have so the deals are out there.

That guy probably sold out, even though you refuse to pay those prices, I can pretty much guarantee that there are others out there who will quite readily pay (heck, I would if my paycheck didn't mostly go to bills and essential needs). It's those people with all the extra disposable cash that bump up the prices for the rest of us....unfortunately, it's just the way it goes.

ETA: Sending you some *hugs* as I know how frustrating toy collecting can be at times.

5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

It's a common occurance. Some dude at work wanted $200 each for rather weathered versions of both Sixshot and Metroplex. Sixshot with only one gun and a couple of loose joints, and Metroplex with a bit of flop and just less than half of his accessories missing. Wound up getting them for $20 each, but after mentioning that the real money was in the accessories shortly before paying him, he wound up "misplacing" the parts. Who knows? Maybe he'll find them, but I'm thinking they got ebayed.

On the plus side, I scored a G1 Scattershot for $4 yesterday at a flea market. The deals are out there, just not nearly as much.

6. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Was that MOSC? I've often picked up loose complete Classics Sunstreakers at the car boot sales for just £2. Sunny seems to be the most common at the boots.
    Yeah, it sucks. As long as there's always people that will still pay the high prices people will still ask those prices.
    It works in reverse too. People used to sell single DVDs at car boot sales for about £3 each and then last year someone came along and was selling them for £1. Others followed suit to be competitive and soon nobody wanted to pay more than £1 for a DVD.
    Whoops! Never let on that kind of info until after you've handed over the cash and have the figure (and accessories) in hand. I just plead ignorance if I'm buying from a stall that doesn't know me and my interest in Transformers. I had a stressful time once when a guy was selling these:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

for £20 each and I bargained him to £30 for the pair and I was trying to hand him the money and get away with them and all the while he was telling me how valuable they were and showing me the price guide of a G1 Omega Supreme and that it was the same molds and what OS was worth (this was before the Encore Reissue) and I'm going 'I just like robots and these are nice' and waving the money at him to take it to complete the transaction. Shut up and take my damned money before someone else comes along and offers more.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, I run into this occasionally too. Usually when I'm browsing loose junkers at a comic shop or wherever, I'm looking for kitbashing parts or just a bit of serendipity. As soon as you show interest, a lot of sellers assume you're trying to scam some valuable object away from them. It's like, seriously buddy... if I buy these from you, it's only so I can pull off all their arms and legs and throw them in a parts bin! :) 

zmog

8. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

It came with the card (shell attached but not sealed). I cannot find him anywhere here. I have bid on ebay, oztion and looked on gumtree. I pick over garage sales and can't find him. I am jeaous of how easily you find him :(  I really want him. For some reason I have never, ever owned him.

9. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All depends on what classics they were. If you were looking at a pile that included say voyager prime, mirage, ramjet and you turned it down for $30 cause they weren't on their cards, I'd lol.

You gotta know your prices before you go into these things too. Some of these older classics are worth a buttload as long as they are complete, regardless if box and instructions are nowhere to be found.

10. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I no longer have a car to get to as many as I used to (they're normally in fields out in the middle of nowhere and at stupid early times before buses start to run) and cash is tight these days for picking these things up, but if I come across one again I'll keep you in mind for first refusal.
    Was it was $30 for a lot? I thought it was for an individual figure. I suppose it would depend on which figure and how complete for if it's worth $30 tough.

11. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Here's a good one-
    I went to a local pawn shop and found a bin full of various figures and parts, no prices noted. In the pile were pieces of Zoids (2 nearly complete), Gundam kits and HGUC figs, weapons galore, and an incomplete Primus just missing a few small parts.
    I started digging into the bin with gusto, and the owner actually said I could dump the pile and handed me a box for what I wanted to get. He looked over the pile (take note of this part) and asked why I wanted parts and incomplete figures. I told him it was for customs and repaints, and he was cool with it.
    After figuring out what I wanted, I took my rather full box to the counter. The owner looked it over, casually pushing the pieces and parts around, and asked what I would offer for it. I said $25, and he seemed okay with it. After I started pulling out my wallet, he pulled the junker Primus from the box and said it wasn't for sale, that it was his son's, that he'd have to check his eBay room, that...blah blah blah.
    Apparently, I jumped too quick to buy the box, and he figured it was worth more.
    I was mad, but the shotgun behind the counter dissuaded me from making a big deal about it. I told him if he was taking the one piece I really wanted from the pile, the rest were only worth $10 to me. I got the rest, but will never frequent that place again.

12. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not sure, the OP wasn't very clear in his post.

Still some people would be happy to pay $30 for a single complete, loose voyager prime, magnus, skywarp, ramjet, cliff...maybe even astrotrain and mirage as well. Those figures are just not as common as they used to be and some are catching much much more then $30 each loose on the secondary market.

13. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    From my experience, you need to haggle and make a deal at toy shows and conventions. The prices that are marked are the recommended starting point. If you don't at least TRY to make a counter offer, you may be passing up a fair deal.

At one of the toy shows in Pittsburgh last year I got a really awesome deal. There was a bot I wanted listed at $100. I showed interest but didn't really want it THAT bad. Not even really enough to make an offer. I had my nephews with me and planned on letting them buy some stuff with my budget. I tell the guy this and we leave. On my way out, having only $63 left, I offered the guy my last $63. When he asked why such an unusual offer I told him it was literally all of the cash I had left to spend - and he accepted it. So my point is - don't trust the price tags every time.

14. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love toy shows and finding the occasional treasure. It is a lot of fun, and one of the cooler parts of collecting. It is harder though, with so many people into Transformers. I always see some crazy asking prices at cons now. The real gems are much harder to find these days.

I think a fair amount of stuff gets marked up a little higher for shows, so that the dealers can make some money, plus pay off their booth rental fee. It is possible to find some deals though, I've met some cool dealers who I've kept in touch with and done business with over time. I trust them to give me a good price. You always end up meeting some a-hole dealers as well, but such is the hobby, take the good with the bad.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I was about to say... I couldn't have been the only one reading this thread and thinking $30 for some loose Classics figures wasn't a bad price. I couldn't give a damn about instructions or card, but of course the condition of the toys themselves matter. I'd drop $30 easy for any of the original Classics figures, loose and complete in good condition.

That said, I avoid the local toy shows. Nothing but Hot Wheels and known scalpers. There's one that's known to be pretty good about a month from now, and I'll try to go if I've got the day off.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this, most of them are more expensive than that on ebay

17. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Thankfully I'm not the only one looking at this and thinking '30 USD doesn't sound bad...depending on who they were'.