sacrilege? - I think I like classics 2.0 Car Bots better than Alternators.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Don't get me wrong, they are not nearly as detailed in car mode, lack rubber tires and full interiors and don't look like "model cars" in car more, but I find them a hell of a lot more fun!

For one, they are not a chore to transform, and while I like intricate transformations, I have not transformed my alts in ages because some of them are so fiddly and many seen to take too much effort.

Second, they are smaller and more manageable, and third they ones out so far actually look more like their G1 counterparts and have better articulation!

2. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I agree. I'm having more fun with my Classics 2 Sideswipe than I ever did with my Alt Sideswipe. I would say Alts are great for display, and Classics for play.

Alts = wife (husband) too high maintenance.
    Classics = girlfriend (boyfriend)

Or is it the other way around?
    :confused2 

3. dilectus

dilectus Well-Known Member

I never did care for the Alternators. I know it's impossible to be a Transformers collector and worry about proportions, but the Alternators are just way too big for my likes. LOVE Classics though.

4. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    If only Superquad7 posted this thread, then it'd be sacrilege

5. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree. I've actually been debating if I should sell my Alt Sunstreaker and Sideswipe since I love their Classics representations more.

6. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I feel the opposite. I actually feel no love for any classics toy below the voyager scale apart from bumblebee, and that's cos he 'fits in' with my alts. The others just feel too small and 'toy like'. I can't display them. Funnily enough, I don't find the classics toys to be as much fun as the Alts/MP's, and that doesn't even make sense to me.

7. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Universe Sideswipe and Silverstreak are some of the best repaints.

8. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I like my Classics/Universe a whole lot more than my Alternators. In fact, I plan on selling my Hound Alt once Hound/Ravage is released in the Universe line.

9. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I call sacrilege j/k. I will always like Alt's more than the classics line, but I can see how your mind can be swayed as they are great molds (referring to classics). For me it's cost issue and can't buy Alt's and collect classics. So I picked Alt's & BT's that doesn't mean I don't have any classics (I have Nemesis Prime, Mirage, Sunstreaker) but it's a cost issue.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    There's a lot to be said for playability. The Alternators, marvels of engineering they may be, were frequently too complex to transform to be a lot of fun. The new Classics can still be fairly intricate figures, but they're not so complex that they can't just be picked up and played with.

11. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    lol! u got it right :D 

12. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I too prefer the Classics to Alts. In fact, most of my Alts are packed back into their boxes, except for a few that are so close to their G1 counterparts I have them displayed with my Masterpieces.
    If only Classics had rubber tires, I'd consider them perfect.

13. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    For me it's no contest. Alternators were models first and toys second. In robot mode they were almost always plagued by ridiculously huge car-hood torsos, itty-bitty arms, and awkward car-bumper legs. (To say nothing of the sheer frustration of trying to line panels up in car mode.) The Classics cars have alleviated almost all of the problems with Alternators cars, by sacrificing only some degree of realism in car mode.

Though I have to say that Alternity Convoy is looking pretty good. The way the chest shrinks down makes a huge difference in the look that most Alternators could have benefited greatly from.

14. Dark_Convoy

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this.

15. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not at all, in fact, I would've expected this kind of answer. Basically, Universe/Classics/Henkei are just more FUN!

16. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely prefer Classicverse to the Alts, not that I dislike the Alts but they are kinda boring.

17. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am very surprised to hear this, I always thought you love your ALTs the best. I completely understand your point, though I never got into ALTs that much to begin with, so it's natural for me.
    (I don't own any Classics2.0 cars, but I value playability a lot.)

It's Sonscreen?!

18. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I take your point, but they're totally different beasts, aimed at different markets. I prefer my BTs - I like the majority of the bot designs, the scale replica aspect, the finish and the complexity of them. But they're not for mucking about with - which, clearly, Classics/Universe are, and I think some of those are damn cool as well.

I actually feel there's some crossover with elements of Alt transformation and articulation in some of the new Universe Classics... Sunstreaker/Sideswipe particularly. Yay for much better articulated toys :) 

19. Dark_Convoy

I know it's crazy, I don't know what's happening to me!!!

20. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Ack! Burn the heretics! The barbarians are at the gate!
    :lol 
    Actually although I prefer Alts to Classics 2.0, I totally understand the points you make. I agree that the Classics 2.0 cars are much more fun to fiddle with, have better articualtion and likenesses. But for me the sheer detail and engineering (and size) on the Alts is what makes them something a bit special. I am loving Classics 2.0 though.

Alts to display.
    Classics 2.0 to play.