Sabbatical from TF's

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ninety, Jan 10, 2009.

1. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    What ho all!

It's been two months since I've been on here, last time was 11/11/08. I've had a lot on at work, and my free time has been filled with other priorities. I've had no time for TF's, I've only TF'd a couple once or twice, and I've got no idea what's been happening news/release-wise.

During the last couple of months, as I wasn't actively into TF's, I came to question my collecting. Last year was an expensive one, SO many new releases close to each other, I did a rough stocktake/pricing (I was expecting it to be high-ish, but got a bit of a shock nonetheless!), and thought about what else I could have done with all the cash. I'm fortunate enough to have the disposable income to spend on TF's, but the amount still got me thinking, partly due to me going abroad in about six weeks to start a new business. My partner (business) has said that if we need extra cash flow (we're organised/funded so that that should be very unlikely) we can dip into my collection! I can see where he's coming from, as to him i've got a lot of cash tied up in hunks of plastic, he sympathises (he has fond memories of Overdrive who I'm going to get a sealed example of for him for our opening), but I have to agree that the business has to come first.

I've also run out of space for them, I know eventually I'll have to have storage boxes, but I'm trying to avoid that as I don't like the idea of having them just sitting in boxes, not on display.

Long story short: I'm sticking with the 'Formers, but have re-focused my collecting, I'm going to stop collecting Ani. and sell most of those I have, I've still got one MISB I got 3 or 4? months ago, and another two that I've had a couple of months. As I open everything, I think that says it all, I like to keep a couple of sealed TF's for when I have a bad day, I've got six or seven G1 and G2 tucked away, but 3 Ani? I've opened all my Classics/Uni/Henkei (apart from Henkei TC, but I'm saving him!).

I'm focusing on Cl/U/Henk, my favourites, Megs, Ratchet, and Bruticus, and possibly sealed G1 (to open! Please keep any debate over this out of this thread).

My couple of months away were unplanned, but have been extremely useful in allowing me to take a step back and look at my collecting objectively. I'm content with my collecting/spending, and don't have any issues with collecting toys.

Thought I'd share, and am interested in opinions, if anyone will understand the collecting mentality, it's the fine folks here.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    -edit: I'm a stupid and can't read.