S.N.D. Primo Vitalis upgrade kit for CW Optimus Prime.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by fendetto, Sep 29, 2015.

1. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

Hot water is an option. I've used it before, I just tend to prefer the hairdryer now, out of convenience more than anything. But, I'd recommend microwaving a mug of water, putting the piece in the non-boiling water after it is out, and using tongs to pull it out, quickly drying it before working it onto the figure. (I used to use that for popping head on and off of figures from the DC and Marvel 6" lines all the time.) I know folks that use a boiling pot of water and dip the parts into it, but I live in fear of the piece slipping into the pot, landing on the bottom of the pan and melting. (I'm a bit paranoid about this since an incident with a Superman figure years and years ago in an early attempt at customizing. The bottom of the foot of that figure was a soft plastic, and was completely misshapen by the heat.)

2. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

My Generations Blitzwing disagrees

3. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Is there a reason why the handel comes out of the ion blaster?

Edit: i love him so much

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  4. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron RIP

News Credits:
    Yes there is. :p 

Oh, you wanted to know? :p 

Tis simple, when we were planning out the kit, and SND said they were looking at doing some MP-style hands for him, I wanted to make it so the handle on the ion blaster could easily be changed, between a 5mm post (for people who don't buy the MP-style hands or for using the gun in combined mode), and and an MP-style grip. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hound89

Smart :thumb 

6. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Out here making whatever whenever

YES, new swivel hands for this guy please! As far as I can tell, that's the last tiny bit of improvement left to make on Prime after this badass kit is installed. =)
    Also, not sure if this was shown anywhere yet, but he's about 14" tall in combiner mode depending on your choice of foot. Heads up that if you are following Ben's Collectibles install video, he actually reinstalls the grey hinge and blue pelvis plate upside down. The instructions show it should be reinstalled with the normal orientation.
    Can't stop messing with this guy! Kinda digging him without the spoiler backpack on in bot mode though; I'll only be using it in truck mode from now on.
    20160926_202751.jpg 20160926_204136.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm finding it harder and harder to say no to this. I have Orion, I have MP-10, but I want this so bad. I can't believe it.

8. Hound89

The more i look at the spoiler the more i see pottential for a rodimus prime add on

9. ultraman zoffy

Find a CW Prime and get this kit asap... it is absolutely awesome. Several hours after installing it and I still can't get over how seamlessly it integrates onto the original toy and enhances everything about it.
    Not sure why no one else is posting pics of theirs yet though... settled on him loaded with my OS Powerglide configuration as a default display mode, and he is even more beefy now.
    20160926_211857.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. tanleeseng

tanleeseng Well-Known Member

Hi guys. I need some help here. Just got this upgrade kit recently but unfortunately mine does not came with the extra screwdriver/screws. Worse still it did not came with any instructions so I have to rely on some online guide to install it. I'm pretty much content with the end result but facing some problem when I tried to transform him in to truck mode. Seems that I may have mispositioned some of the parts (think it's between the thigh & legs) resulting the flaps on his elbow unable to reach the connection point on the legs (the blue flaps). Any help on this is very much appreciate. Thanks.

11. ultraman zoffy

Did you follow Ben's video?

He also had some trouble getting everything to tab in just right for truck mode, but eventually got it together. I'd say just retrace your install steps while following this video and see what might be off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    That is incredible forethought!

Jealous of all these pics. Still waiting on my kit being dispatched :( 

13. dickenz

dickenz METROFLEX?!?

News Credits:
    Done and dusted. Purchased from Uncle Billy on AliExpress and received this afternoon. My first figure modification complete. Was a fun experience all in all and boy does the newly upgraded IDW Optimus look fantastic. I reckon he looks absolutely amazing. Well done John, knocked it out of the park with this kit.

Pain points for me were the pins and already near-stripped screws, clearly from the factory - Contrary to what I've read here my pins were installed in opposite directions... One came out to the left, the other to the right. My small pin got stuck because I tried to punch it out the same way as the larger pin only to find out it was installed the opposite way around. Fuming and curse words ensued upon beating it back to where it should be. My hot tip would be to use a torch and triple check which is the knurled end of the pin before attempting removal.

Pics:
    Front and Center:
    [​IMG]

With his MP10 mold brethren:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. Blitzsword

Blitzsword Autobot

My kit supposedly arrives on Thursday from BBTS. So excited to get it in hand and start working. The installation sounds very involved, but rewarding in the end. That's exactly what I look for in upgrades.

I knew I wasn't crazy! Glad to hear these hands are being considered. I'd definitely pick up a set in a heartbeat.

15. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Argh, I can't find another CW Prime for this kit.

Looks fantastic John, truly wonderful. Hoping to nab one if I can scrounge an Optimus from somewhere :) 

16. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    Got it and installe! Plus some shapeways combiner port fillers and nonnef's rubber wheels

only issue im having is the alt mode, but I think im just doing something wrong

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. IanAdams

IanAdams Secret Octopus

Prime is about $50 on Amazon, if you don't mind paying a good bit over MSRP.

I still can't believe prices have gotten so high on a very mediocre figure that had a pretty huge run. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

18. NemesisGamer

NemesisGamer Bane of Your Wallet

There is also a loose one on eBay, right now its cheaper than anywhere else.

19. Hound89

Jeez im glad i got mine months ago in anticipation for vitalis :scalper 

20. Zechsatron

Zechsatron Member

Ditto, but really it was when I first saw the two sets that upgraded the figure. I knew I was gonna buy one. So it was a worthwhile investment.