???'s about the 1986 TFTM DVD

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CETERUS PRIME, Dec 3, 2010.

1. CETERUS PRIME

CETERUS PRIME Well-Known Member

I've been looking to add the Anniversary Edition 1986 animated DVD/movie to my collection, but I see that some on ebay are asking really high prices, and some are really low. It looks to me like some are of USA origin (the more $$$ ones), and some from other countries which have added symbols on the outer box in a foreign language. Are the cheaper versions legit and as good ? Are they all in the English language ? The descriptions are vague, so I figured this would be the place to ask, and I couldn't find any threads on the subject when I searched. Appreciate the help !

2. Wraithier

Wraithier Well-Known Member

You'd have to be sure which region the DVD is made for, DVDs from different regions won't play on all DVD players.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You're talking about the sony one? There were also some versions with a lenticular cover, a free t-shirt, etc. So make sure you know which version you're getting.

4. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If that one is too expensive for you (the 20th anniversary one) and you just want a DVD of the movie, Rhino released one like 7 years ago that sells for much less

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The main reason for the anniversary one, from what I understand, is scramble city or some other exclusive extra. There also wasn't a huge print run of them. Be patient and you can grab the 25th :) 

6. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    It has some weird sound overlays and some added optical stuff in the restoration (I don't mean in a good way), and some shots weren't restored that well. If that's fine by you, or even more interesting to you, go for the Rhino version. There shouldn't be too much issue finding a sony one though, as the markets were flooded with them at one point at clearance prices, which could also explain the difference in prices you're seeing.

7. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Just to try and add some re-assurance to you... I have a version that has asian writing on the cover but it is Region 1 and has the english track. I don't recall off the top of my head if english is the primary audio or not. I remember switching it so maybe it is the 2nd audio source. But all the menus are english and can be listened to in english. I don't know the distributor of mine though. It was part of a giant box set.

8. CETERUS PRIME

For example, here is one of the more costly ones without the foreign language symbols on the outer cover.

Transformers The Movie DVD, 2006, 2-Disc Set, 20th Anniversary Edition - Get great deals on DVDs Movies items on eBay.com!

And here is one of the less expensive ones. Notice the red foreign language symbols on the outer cover.

THE TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE (1986) Animated, DVD, NEW - eBay (item 190475802360 end time Jan-02-11 08:15:07 PST)

This is why I'm confused as to which one to look for. Obviously, someone is going to choose the less expensive version if they're both the same. I just don't want it to get here and be stuck with a DVD displaying my childhood heroes speaking something other than English :jawdropper: 

9. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Ceterus, do you live in the US? Your question implies that you don't. That makes a difference in how to approach helping to answer your question.

TFWiki has pretty comprehensive coverage of both international and commercial DVD releases of the film:

The Transformers: The Movie - Transformers Wiki

For US releases, Sony's 2-disc 20th anniversary special edition from 2006 is in my opinion the best-quality version released to date. I still believe there could have been a lot more content included as bonus materials.

But if you can be patient a while longer, I anticipate that Hasbro will partner with some distributor -- Shout Factory being the most likely candidate -- for a 25th Anniversary edition in 2011, and hopefully it will be a BR/DVD combo release that will not only correct the issues with previous editions but also provide the kind of definitive bonus content that previous releases have been lacking.

I'm confident that there's a really good chance of this happening since we have the momentum of TF Prime on The Hub, TF3 and of course the 25th anniv in 2011. Shout Factory already did this for the animated GI Joe movie, so I firmly believe a new release of the film will happen.

10. CETERUS PRIME

Guess I should have mentioned I'm in Canada, eh :D 

I never really thought about the 25th anniversary coming up for the 86' movie, but it makes sense now that you guys brought it up. I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on the sony 2 disc release, and if not, maybe I'll just wait for something better !

11. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Send me a PM, Ceterus, I think I may have a copy of what you're looking for.

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    That narrows it down.

I was going to suggest you check a local store that sells pre-owned DVDs like CD Warehouse, MovieStop, FYE or Hastings, but I don't know if they have any of those stores up in moose country.

The local MovieStop stores where I live in Atlanta always seem to have used copies of TFTM available, although it's usually Rhino's "Special Collectors Edition" from 2000, which wasn't that special at all except that it was the first US DVD release.

However, my copy is "special" because it's autographed by Gregg Berger and Corey Burton. :thumb 

13. CETERUS PRIME

You got'r :thumbs2: 

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I bought a copy off eBay a few months ago - it was from South Korea, so of course the DVD cover is in Korean, as are the menus. However, a little fooling around in the menus turns on the English version, then turn off the Korean subtitles. About $6 shipped IIRC. Not a bad deal to hold me over till the Blu-ray 25th version or whatever Sony releases.

15. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    If memory serves, Sony no longer has distribution rights for TFTM.

The most recent TF-related releases in the US were TF Animated (Paramount), G1 (Shout Factory), and ROTF (Paramount).

16. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    *hugs his MIB 1986 VHS of TF:TM from F.H.E.*

Yeah, the Sony one is good, you shouldn't pay more than $15 for it shipped domestically, considering it was like $12 or $13 at Wal-Mart.

17. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah the USA one is hard to get but has the most extras on it. Your lucky to get it under 50 bucks.

IF you don't mind a stripped down version I noticed there a ton of cheap versions outside the USA. Bunch of South Korean region free copies for 15 bucks on the bay for instance. Again it lacks extras. Licensing of extras varies through regions.