Heavy/Scratch: RWX-08 Raziel Megatron

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Treadshot A1, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Hi all! Following on from Pinpointer, i'm moving on to bigger robots. I spent most of my exam prep time thinking of how i was going to build this guy, and i can't believe he's finally here! This is RWX-08 Raziel Megatron. For those who don't know, i've been trying to focus on making transformer versions of combat robots from the show Robot Wars, hence the RWX (Robot Wars X-overs) numbering.

For this design, i really wanted to make a robot whose alt.mode was one of my favorite combat robots of all time: Razer. I wanted to make to make the alt.mode as accurate as possible, as close to the half-bird-half-reptile machine as i could. In fact, i think i spent more time carving out the alt.mode than the robot mode! [​IMG] Anyways, i think i got the alt.mode close enough, and i made it a point to ensure the crushing beak works just like it did in the Robot Wars show. The idea is just to drive the wedge underneath the opponent, and then crush them. Destroy their inner mechanics. Put them beyond repair. At first i wasn't sure which transformer to make this into, but it just seemed so cruel and silver, it just had to be Megatron. No one else could be so cruel.

The robot mode...well, i think it's pretty obvious it's RWX-07 Shrapnel's body, remolded pretty much everywhere. Only the upper legs and crotch remain unchanged, the rest has undergone a huge makeover. I spent ages trying to figure out the shoulder transformation, as i really wanted the spiky front end of the vehicle mode to point forward (they would've been ridiculous as shoulder pillars), i think it looks more threatening this way. The arms thus had to rotate around, and hence you see the side of the vehicle mode end up on the inside of the arm. I do realise, compared to Shrapnel, Raziel Megatron's torso is a bit...well, the hinge had to be raised to allow the longer front end of Megatron to fold down as chest armor. I've maximised head size within that space as much as i can.He's still got articulation to look up and down, and slightly left and right. I also made sure that his hands were made with the standard 5mm fist holes, so he can still use your standard 5mm TF weapons.

I think the most important thing to be learned is that i printed this at 80% of the original size, and while that works fine, i just wanted it a bit bigger. As it stands, it's about...Well, it's slightly smaller than a deluxe but too big to be a scout. At full size it'd be Deluxe. While i don't think i'll reprint this piece due to cost (which is why i had this shrunk in the first place), i'll probably upscale the Insecticar back to original size. I just want my robots a bit bigger, that's all. :) 

Anyways, i'll shut up now and let the pics do the rest of the talking. I do hope you guys like him.

You can buy RWX-08 Raziel Megatron on my Shapeways Shop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the robot i based the alt.mode on:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Repainted the mouth with more care this time so the black doesn't bleed.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    you are amazing now but you are going to be one great toy designer in the future

3. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

That's different.

4. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

that is incredible

5. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    That is awesome!!:) 

6. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Cha-Ching!
    Jackpot on that idea mate. Awesome concept and execution!

7. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    Nothing to say but :thumbs2: 

8. Traachon

Traachon Metamorphing Dudicus

He looks great, but I have a small problem with some of your creations, namely this here Megatron and your Frembles. Their faces seem a little flat and they have somewhat strange face proportions. I understand and appreciate how difficult it is to create something like this, their faces just kinda bug me. Your Tracks in your Shapeways thread has a much more 3D head/face and seems like a great improvement. Other than that, your work is outstanding! :thumbs2: 

9. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

wow! your so good at scratch-building! and like the rest of the fellows commenting i can easily see you having a future in the toy business ;) 

10. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

no no no he didnt scratch build this he designed the 3d model of the parts and ordered it from shape ways he just designed the figure he did not build it

looks good i dont like the blue and red wheels on megatron though

11. Treadshot A1

Thanks! I certainly hope so.

Different good or different awesome? ;) 

Thanks a lot all of you. :) 

Yes, i agree. And to be honest, you're not the first to say that. See, when i started out i designed heads in the way i'd been taught to use sketchup in school. Then i found a better way. And frankly while the second led to better heads like the SG Galv Head, there were still people saying things like you (not that that's a bad thing at all). The reason, i think, that Tracks look better is because i found a way to combine the two methods i'd been using before, add in a few other tricks and...well, the result is plain to see. Tracks looks better. :) 

However, i would like to point out the Fremble linked in my sig was made with the new method. Perhaps you a referring to the earlier versions of Fremble?

Hehe, no big deal. I'm no Anemis, so i do go through the 3D printing route. Really saves on manual labor, too. :lol  I hope i do have a future, i'd love to see kids [HIDE]poke their eyes out with Megatron's crushing beak (lol j/k)[/HIDE] enjoying my designs.

Jetcracker, the red and blue wheels...yeah, kind of bright I guess? I suppose the real machine had slightly more subdue colours, though i don't know whether that's deliberate of just dirt and grime. Either way, i tried to stay true to the combat robot. :) 

12. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm really curious how much this thing cost because I've had the idea of printing full deluxe sized figures as well.

13. Shinbs

Shinbs Well-Known Member

Dude,what's with the mouth?Your projects usually have interesting transformation schemes and all,but the faces bro,these damn mouths,I know you try to make it like they're serious/slightly frowning,but all it really looks like is a big,silly,cartoony,sad "D:" expression.
    I don't mean to sound rude,but I'm pretty sure that I,and many other people mentioned this in the majority of your topics( I didn't read the comments in this one,in particular).

14. Treadshot A1

This is a wedge shaped robot. So it's going to cost a lot less that a deluxe, probably only 40% of it, based on my Kickback relative to Bombshell.

Theres a simple answer for that: I can't paint. :lol  The mouth was rendered much better in my CAD program, but my paintbrush isn't as skilful. I didn't notice it till now, though.

15. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Holy shit, Robot Wars Transformer! You are officially badass, dull surprise notwithstanding.

16. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Making it into unicron would have been a tad better in my opinion, but beautiful idea non the less