Heavy/Scratch: RWX-03 "Thermidor 2"

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Treadshot A1, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

(WIP)

Well, as always i'm following a strict theme with my latest customs. This time, i'm building crossovers. more specifically, Robot Wars Crossovers (RWX)! That basically means Transformers versions of the heavyweight robots from said TV show. 01 is being kept secret for now, and 02 is...well, in need of a name (the only robot not directly inspired by a robot), but 03 is all ready for paint!

Inspired by this guy: Thermidor 2 - Robot Wars Wiki - Robot Wars Extreme, BBC

Of course, some liberties had to be taken, what with the whole "transforms into a humanoid robot" concept. Claws were made more wedge shaped (less lobster-y i guess), and the hinge means the toy isn't invertible. Also, the flipper has holes in it, because....well, i stole the flipper from ROTF Soundwave. :tongue:  The hardest part has to be the claws. I gave up on trying to make styrene claws that actually looked like a lobster's, as that's just beyond my patience levels right now. So i settled for simple wedges/spikes, and kept readjusting and cutting until the legs worked in robot mode.

Parts used:

• DOTM Backfire (everything but the legs and guns and Spike)
    • Universe Fireflight (Legs, salvaged from a failed Powerglide project)
    • ROTF Soundwave (Satellite piece, the symmetrical one)
    • HFTD Payload (Wheels, spliced from the back axle)
    • Styrene and misc. Lego parts
    Painting will begin as soon as my exams finish, assuming i'm still in one piece by then, and haven't exploded from excess studying...which i should be doing now, come to think of it. :D 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess i'm doing these customs partly because i like destructive alt. modes, but mainly because i loved the show as a kid, and the pullback toys suck, so i'm trying to create decent versions of each robot. While i don't have much affinity for Thermidor 2 (Seasons 4 and beyond never aired here), i hope i did it some justice. Some. Maybe. Okay, probably not, but still...points for trying? :lolol 

Attached Files:

2. liquid6

liquid6 Well-Known Member

Sweet!

3. hippymule

hippymule Duocon

It's funny I forgot about Robot Wars so after seeing this I searched it up for an hour or so.

4. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Haha, nicely done! I can't believe more of these haven't been done.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, this looks cool :) 

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Thanks!

Hehe, yeah, you do lose track of time watching battles! :lol 

I know! I can't believe i haven't seen someone else build destructive robots before. Thanks bro.

Let's hope the paintjob doesn't let it down, then. :) 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

I've made one slight mode to Thermidor 2 since the pictures were taken. You see, the point of the right claw was built from thick plastic sheets, while the left was built with styrene, only half the thickness. I've since added an extra layer of styrene to the left claw to add to the thickness and durability. It helps to alleviate the huge gap you can see in robot mode (the left claw forms the right leg, which is on your left).

7. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Pretty cool so far.

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Awesome.