Rupert Murdoch destroys rival TV Channel

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ArmadaJetfire, Mar 28, 2012.

1. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I'm really, really unsurprised if true.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    If true maybe this will be enough to get him to lose his Tv empire or part of it. I'd like to see him lose control of many of his american companies. He hides too many important stories from the public or down plays them, not to mention other crap he has pulled in the past.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not saying its right, but IMO he did us a favor in the long run by running ITV Digital out of business.

5. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I agree with this.

I'm trying to not get into politics, but since there isn't much way around it I'll say my piece: The man is corrupt with power and likes to puppet the public and politicians for his own gain. If anyone deserves, nay, needs to lose power, it's him.

Just watch: Fox won't even acknowledge this story.

6. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Rupert Murdoch? Why am I not surprised?

ThisThisThisThisThis

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I appreciate FOX NEWS, but if these nefarious allegations of clandestine meetings with a 'special unit' in smoke-filled rooms in probable seedy locations so that cable boxes can be hacked are factual, then go after him.

I have my doubts tho. I smell another left vs. right witch hunt happening.

8. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

never liked the guy. fuck him.

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Explain.

10. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

That would be illegal. He should be locked up.

Why are people his age obsessed with making even more money?

I hope he knows he will die someday soon. :p 

He's 81. He has more than enough money for his age.

11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    At this point it's not about money, it's about control and enforcing his vision.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

ITV Digital used 50% of the digital terrestrial bandwidth (as in broadcast towers and aerials, limited capacity but available almost everywhere and the default means of receiving television). They went bust in such a spectacularly disastrous way that it destroyed any significant commercial interest in using that bandwidth for subscription services, which lead to the broadcasting regulator basically giving it away to a BBC-led consortium which rebranded the entire platform as a free service.

The upshot of that was that uptake of digital television rapidly increased because there was more free stuff and because public perception shifted to it being the successor to the old 5 Channel analogue terrestrial service rather than just another company trying to flog them more shit. More viewers eventually meant that it became better for the main commercial broadcasters (ITV, Channel 4 and Five) to run their additional channels on the service for free then to lock them up in subscription packages on Satellite and Cable. Further to that, the obligation to provide a free service to everybody in the country resulted in a free Satellite platform with most of the same stuff so that people that can't get the terrestrial signal don't have to pay anyone just to get basic TV service.

I'm not pretending that less competition for Murdoch is a good thing, but it led to a better deal for the majority of people that don't want subscription services and the folks that do can still go and buy them from Virgin or BT if they don't want to give service money to Sky.

Interesting footnotes to this story -

- ITVD (and its previous incarnation, OnDigital) were woefully run companies that provided a worse service then Sky at a higher price. They also nailed thier own coffin shut by buying football rights at a price they coulden't afford. All of these things were regularly reported in the news, even on ITV's own services. No doubt piracy constributed significantly to thier problems, but I woulden't take claims of it killing thier business from senior players any more seriously then the same claims that music and movie types make every other week.

- Subscription TV wasen't a profit making business in this country fullstop up until about 10-12 years ago. Murdock didn't climb to the top of the market by murdering his competitors, he pretty much created it and stayed there by being the only person with enougth money to indefinately run a service at a loss until it caught on.

Actually, this particular case is just about the money.