Rumour: EA have dev kits of the new Xbox console

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, May 6, 2011.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
  2. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Interesting....and also slightly disappointing, as if it's true I really hope it's not coming out for a good long while. Hoping to get a few more years out of my 360.

3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Dang it we don't need new game systems. i am fine with the technology we have now.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This could be super early work. Maybe another year or two.

"Shhhhhh, that's super secret!"

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I thought Microsoft and Sony both said '2014 at the earliest' when Nintendo announced their new box.

It's funny -I remember when the Super Famicom had been out for months and Nintendo denied, denied, DENIED the existence of the Super NES.

Now they're the first to go 'Oh yeah, we have a new system'.

6. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

Update

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

My body is ready!

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmm. Interesting.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The denial makes it even more likely.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have an EGM from 2003 that I was just looking through, and I read the rumor section. One of the rumors was that Sony was funding Naughty Dog and having them make an engine for a platform adventure game for Sony's "Playstation 3". Just saying that even if bigger companies are already working on stuff it could still be a few years away and it's not something really new.

11. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just so long as it has backwards compatibility and carries over my achievements I'll be happy.
    Ah who am I kidding, even if it doesn't I'll still be there.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Ditto to both.

13. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Yeah its way too early for this. Yes, companies are always working on the new consoles, but development costs to take advantage of a new xbox or playstation would be way too high at the moment. A developer would go out of business if their game was not a blockbuster success. Well, either that, or get ready for a "next gen" graphical experience that might be a bit underwhelming and rushed.... Might not be that bad if you're only expecting to play 360-looking games at full 1080p and AA applied.

Even the best looking PC titles can currently be downported to consoles and still look reasonably good. I wouldn't expect to see any new console from MS or Sony for at least a few more years.

14. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

It is too soon. There is still so much the 360 can do. People won't be interested without a graphical leap.

15. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    The Kinect hasn't even been out for a year and already there's plans for a new Xbox console? What are they gonna call that one? Xbox 720?

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OK, the only way something WON'T look dated when it released on a new console is if companies have been working with it for years. The rushed games look rushed because they're... rushed. If Sony and MS intend on releasing a new system within the next 3 years there's very good chances that bigger companies have development kits and are working on engines that will make it easy to upgrade as the final specs of the news systems are decided.

It's also just not too soon. This has been the longest console cycle... ever, and we still probably have a couple more years, which is forever by technology standards.

17. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Well yea, a console launch 3 years from now might provide a big enough of a technical leap. Before that just feels like a waste since there is just not a huge graphical leap between the current consoles, and what will be in a $500 box 1 to 2 years from now. 3 years, maybe. I am sure engines are in development, but I dont think that now is the time to start really showing stuff off.

What is interesting is Nintendo's 2012 launch in all this. If their console is well powered, there could be a PS2 situation where games are developed on Nintendo's consoles, and Sony and MS just get the up-ports. If Nintendo's new console is more like the Wii, the MS and Sony can be in their own league again. I would imagine that MS and Sony would prefer a situation where they are not competing with Nintendo, in which case, it seems that MS and Sony would want to bring out their consoles much later, rather than sooner. Although on the other hand, I am also sure that those two companies would not like Nintendo eating up their market share for two years.

18. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Well you would think it takes a while to make these new games for a new platform so it does seem about right (in my head) for dev kits to be out there if we are going to see new consoles in late 2012/2013

I'm pretty sure Xbox live will carry over I just hope my XBLA games do and hopefully my Xbox 360 games too but if the new console works in a different way and that option isn't available I could live with it.

19. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, I seem to remember EA saying they had a nintendo dev kit last year and it was after the 3ds was announced. lol Also didn't they say they had the NGP dev kit before it was announced too? LOL Pls correct me if I'm wrong but I swear I remember them announcing those two rumors last year.

20. Rubber Ducky

Rubber Ducky beepboopbop

Or the Kinectbox 1440