Rumored possible price drop for PS3 in 07.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by pscoop, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Considering the original article, I never unserstand why people take what analysts say "might" happen in the future as a possibly valid rumor...

PSP impossible for under 300 anyone?

2. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

If this is true this will be nice. I know its still damn expensive but would be worth it. I can wait till october... i can wait.... i can..i hope.

3. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

From the article:

Past experience would indicate that, the longer you stay in third place, the fewer titles will be coming your way, especially exclusives, which just makes it that much harder to climb out of the hole.

I still think $500, while still cheap for a BR player (though who knows what those prices will be come XMas), is still high for a console. It's better, and will have a more open market, but there will still be a large swath of the gaming community cut out. And of course, if the PS3 goes down in price, I think we can be sure Microsoft and Nintendo will match.

4. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wonder if a price drop will mean a lack of features. Possibly leaving out the PS2 chip that enables complete backwards compatibility? I guess we'll wait and see.

5. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Since they've already estabished what components each region will have, I doubt they'd pull something like that. (I know, put nothing past Sony). I doubt it will come down in price until they can manufacture the parts and the entire unit more efficiently/cheaper.

6. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    $500, eh? I might bite for that sometime in '08. Still got quite a few games I want to play on my PS2 before I put it aside, though.

7. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

How the hell were they able to cut out 1400 parts???

8. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    $500 is still not a deal. If it gets to $400 for the 60GB version, then we'll talk. Way too much for a video game system.

9. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

Where do you get 'free online'??? It costs $600 freaking dollars! You're more than paying for online play for that much. $300 for a 360 or $250 for a Wii and you have $300 left over to pay for online play for a few years.

I guess I have no room to talk. I paid $500 for my Radeon X800 XT PE when it came out...:rock 

10. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member

What basis is this coming from? Seeing the market prices of the next gen systems, this fits right in.

11. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member

The money you pay for machines are economically considered sunk costs. Once you have them, you still have to pay additional $$ to play online.

plus, if you want to compare premium systems, the 360 is $400. Then you have to pay $100 for the adapter. By the time you pay for xbox live, you're gonna be looking at the same ballpark minus a blu ray player.

12. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks for only addressing half my point. And how nice of you to go the fanboy route and compare the high end PS3 vs. the low end 360. Oh, and anyone who has a Wii, let me know how that online play is going. (insert Twin Twist giant roll eyes here)

And what pray tell are you going to be downloading on that precious HDD-less 360? If you're going to try to make a point, at least make real comparisons. Compare the $400 36 vs. the $600 PS3. You have to add an addition $50 for a years service of Live to the 360. So that's now $450 vs. $600. Sure the PS3 is still $150 more, but that's what you get when you have a machine that has a whole lot more under the hood, namely a 60GB HDD and a hi-def movie player.

13. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Was your PC free?

Are you using a free ISP?

Tried playing games on Xbox live with a silver membership?

14. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    This actually pretty sweet. From the FW update yesterday.

Remote play via an access point

In english. You can now use your PSP to access the information on the HDD of your PS3 via a wireless signal. This will come in handy for me who's wife takes up the TV for 2 hour watching American Idol. Now while she is watching that crap, I can watch any of the movies saved on my PS3 with my PSP.

It is going to free up some space on my PSP's mem stick and is just cool to see the PS3 menu on the PSP screen. Additionally you can access the PS Network and PS Store and I believe download to your PS3 with your PSP.

Nintendo and Microsoft have NOTHING like this. And I say again Sony has more tricks up it's sleeve.

Newest Firmware update

15. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Heretic! The angry mob has already declared the complete and utter collapse of Sony.

That said, i'll have to check that out later.

16. Skywarp_TPK

Skywarp_TPK Harbringer of the MegaDub

Ditto.

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Agreed. $400 is the absolute limit for what I would pay for a console. Blue-ray player be damned, I (currently) don't care about that feature, and I don't really know if I ever will.

18. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

Depends on your perspective. To the multi-millionaire, what's $600 for a console or a fine dinner or even a bottle of scotch? Right, it's not a big deal.

19. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd buy the 60GB PS3 for $500, I am sure there are other fence sitters out there that would too.

Im sure it wont be enough to convert the masses, but at least it would be a step in the right direction along with Home and Little Big Planet.

20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    <--- is not a millionaire.

And for that matter, the difference between paying $400 or $500 or $600 for a console wouldn't mean squat to a millionare anyway, the average income person is the one the price has to agree with.

THIS average person says NO to a $500 PS3. $400, perhaps. $300 or less, sold.