Rumor: Xbox With Built-in HD-DVD Drive

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

I don't get the move of adding an HD DVD drive into the next sytem revision this late in the game.

12 million plus x-box 360s have already been sold without the drive so its not like developers can make any reasonable use of the drive for future games that require more than just 8.5gb of space. We will see developers opting for 2-3 disc games before any developer/publisher is gutsy enough realease game software on the HD-DVD media.

2. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I don't think it will happen, and even if it did, it doesn't sound like it is going over too well. Especially considering had they made it standard on the first model they could have let game companies use the tech for games. Who wouldn't want more space to put a game onto?

3. Bed Bugs

Bed Bugs Haven't gone postal yet...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    It does make business sense.

Serious, hard core - I want the best of the best shit people, will sell their older systems to people that don't currently have one for $100 or so and then they will buy the new models.

This, in turn, creates more people using the 360 system, which in turn, creates more demand for the software (games).

As long as they keep releasing upgraded models, there will always be people willing to pay up for them (even if they don't know WTF is the difference between what they own, and what I want to own).

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

well, i was gonna make another thread...but as this one is a rumor, there's one package that is actually coming out (i think):

5. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Arcades been found in retail. Its the replacement for the core and has no hard drive, includes the HDMI port, possibly includes a memory card, and has a disk that has five demos of Live Arcade games (once thought to be full games but right now it looks like trial versions).

As for the HD DVD 360 it looks as if this is going to be more of a Toshiba thing. Similar to the random Japanese Saturns being produced outside of sega and the dual 3D0s.

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i haven't seen a Arcade one yet...

just checked google and found pictures (http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/14/xbox-360-arcade-unboxed/)...at least they gave it a new box (nothing like the Core-Elite look)

and what's funny is that one if the pics, this Arcade one is called "XBox 360 Arcade", the premium is now called "XBox", and the elite is still called "XBox Elite"

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  7. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Seems pointless to me. By the time it comes out in 2009, the 360 will be in it's declining years and costing $200, and HD players- if HDDVD still exists - will be down to $100 or less.

8. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

So the Arcade machine requires additional purchases to even make use of X-Box Live Arcade.

Nice.

9. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    I'm guessing this will be some ultra leet version branded by Toshiba themselves.

Remember the the Panasonic Q?
    [​IMG]

It'll be a Toshiba HD-DVD player with 360 functionality.

10. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Its not supposed to be out yet, some stores got it a bit early and released it.

It comes with a memory card (256mb) so no it doesn't require an additional purchase to use Xbox Live and Live Arcade titles. The issue seems to be that th ebox says it includes 5 games while the disc itself just includes the trial versions.

Endgadget's unboxing of the 360 Arcade system.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Pretty lame that they are only demos.