Rumor: Xbox With Built-in HD-DVD Drive

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Oct 19, 2007.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

this generation sounds more like a "keep coming out with a new console every year" generation.

let's see -
    PS3: first was the 20gb & 60gb models...then just the 80gb...then the 80gb and 40gb (which has even less than the 20gb had)...

360: first was the core and the premium...then the elite...then rumors of a smaller chip version (65nm chip)...then rumors of a 360 with HD-DVD capabilities...

Wii: Wii....then rumors of a Wii with DVD capabilities

DS: DS...then the DSlite...

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Thats some bullshit right there...probably true, but thats some still dirty dirty bullshit.

I really wish they'd make one console, and focus on games. It succeeds great, if not then drop the price.

I miss the old days of consoles.

3. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ugh....Just don't. Really MS...don't. Just make your hardware work, and not overheat.

4. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I'm tired of constant upgrades and price drops. Why the fuck did I get it at launch then, if all they do is release better models at cheaper prices.

I'm glad this didn't happen in the older console days, or we would have been stuck with the Nintendo CD.
    '

5. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

....more damn price points?

could they just stick to "one price point to rule them all"?
    I mean I'm happy with Wii, one price point thats it....no problems, and I know how much to save etc etc.....

now I ALSO have to worry about a new price point every year that changes the capabilities the machine or down right increases it.....or decreases it....

yeah I'm somewhat bitter at this....since right now I can only afford a core....

6. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Or the Sega CD with 32X?

7. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Give it another 2 weeks, and you'll have enough for an Elite and 5 games.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

At least those we just add-ons that didn't really affect the core system or its price. Everyone who bought the Sega at launch had the same system that people bought years later. The 32X (which came out late in the Sega's life) was pretty cool I thought, and wasn't that expensive of an upgrade. Never had the CD though. Today, I don't see the point of buying s system at least two-three years after launch cause I don't want to waste my money on something they'll only improve/drop the price in six months.

9. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

take away 2 games I have to get a ticket for the states....unless there is a miracle and they lower 360 prices

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

So they're making a PS3? o_O 

Odd. Really, Microsoft should have had wireless and a HDDVD drive in the first model, and certainly in the Elite. But if this comes along at the right price, I might be willing to pick one up. I have an itching to play Ikaruga and Rez, and they're both on Xbox Live. However combine that with Mass Effect and Im just about out of the 360 games that I really want to play. :p 

11. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Already easily done, so no real change there.

Crappy Halo 3 save system + freezing DVD player on 7 week old Elite = ARRRRGH.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  12. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

If you always wait for the next big thing... you'll end up with nothing.

13. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    What they (meaning MS and Sony) are going to do is stop the casual buyer from buying ANY system anywhere near launch. Casual shopper will just start waiting for a price drop right off. Hell, I've waited on a PS3 this long, how much cheaper will it get. Point made.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This is bullshit.

HD-DVD, HDMI and a larger Hard Drive should have been right out of the box to begin with.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my 360, but shit like this makes my blood boil.

15. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe the newest issue of OXB has a interesting article about a one console future being near. I was sad when Sega decided to call it quits making hardware, but their games have been so great since then that I made me forget all about that.

I could go for a one console playall format. Right now all of my other systems are feeling neglected anyhow, so why not one system to play everything?

16. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't see any way MS could have extended the life of the 360 without an HD drive. Developers are already constrained by the size of DVD. It will be way worse in a year or two.

17. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

But Microsoft would never let them switch to using HD-DVD for fear of completely alienating their current user base.

18. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Meh, its just an option. I'd rather buy the HD DVD drive at Best Buy and get Season 1 of Heroes HD DVD for free along side the 5 free HD DVDs and King Kong.

I already have the 120 gig HD and I do have just over 60 gigs filled but I have a terrible habit of being to lazy to delete things. In reality I'm probably using 30 gigs, as far as using it as a DVR, I already use my pc to do that and stream it through my 360 and in all actuality would rather have a stand alone DVR, but idon't see a huge hard drive being needed as long as they can compress it well. 120 gigs is a bit small for HD content but if you cycle through stuff then its not so bad.

19. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    so it's a model where HD playback is built in. who cares? MS is not going to change anything that will affect the primary technology of the system. gameplay is never going to change regardless of when and what system you get. secondary crap is always going to be added and improved and it HAS to in order to get more people to buy. sure, missing out on HDMI and larger hard drive sucks, but such are the risks one takes when buying anything at any time.

20. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    A 360 with a built in HD-DVD and and wireless; what does that sound like? Hmmmmm.... maybe a PS3!

I waited till the 360 Elites came out cause I wanted built-in HDMI and a big hard drive. I paid full price for one, once I found one! Then 3 months later they lower the price!!! I was PISSED cause of crappy distribution... maybe MS takes there distribution from other companies. *Glares at Hasbro*