Rumor: Price Increase to Come for Sirius XM

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Feb 10, 2009.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

for those that have it and/or care:

2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

They're about to go under, and they want to make their customers spend MORE money? Really?

Hah. This is why free radio will always win out. Sure it was great that you could get this service out in BFE cuz it was satellite, but seriously. Who wants to pay for radio? And now pay more??

No thanks. Forget it.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, between spending money on XM radio and listening to shuffle on my MP3, or streaming Pandora to my Iphone, I will choose the latter.

4. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I thought as a condition to the merger their was some kind of price increase freeze for 5 years or something.

5. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Bingo.

6. DevilzFan

Well, I just checked my e-mail. Forget rumor. It's confirmed. Fuckers.

Only thing I really listen to on Sirius is Howard. If they want to screw me over with a price hike and taking away my free online streaming, I can just as easily cancel my subscription and listen to the shows a day later on my Zune thanks to certain sites on the internet.

7. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    For the very small minority, I feel sorry for you.

8. DevilzFan

Not really a "small minority". The merged company has almost 20 million subscribers.

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    And will have much less after this. I see this going the way of the dodo as HD Radio get's more prevalent

10. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    It's been reported that they're preparing to file for Chapter 11, so this is just a way to squeeze as much revenue out to appease creditors as possible.

11. DevilzFan

Chapter 11 will allow them to drop some of the dead weight. (Martha Stewart, Oprah)

12. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I read that they have about $3.4 billion in debt, so they're going to have to drop quite a bit. It's not looking good for their future at all.

13. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I feel bad for them, I really do, but what on Earth made them think they'd make a profit out of free media?

Sure, some folks bought into it (basically techno and audio philes) and it's great for areas like backwoods hillbilly areas (*cough*West Virginia/Kentucky*cough*, or radio dead zones where you get nothing but country or talk radio (if you're even lucky enough to get that...) but the idea of paying for something you can get free in like 99% of the country is just mindboggling to me.

The technology was expensive ($100.00 was the average, though some of the simple modules were running about $50.00 depending on what you wanted it to do...) and the service was too much for too little.

If they had cut their prices in half, or even down to a quarter of what it is now, they'd have had plenty more customers and their accounts wouldn't be on the verge of collapse. HD Radio is free, all you have to do is buy the equipment and you're done. Sure, it's not available everywhere, but it will be in time, and it's 100% digital. Still...FREE.

I dunno. It was just a bonehead idea, really. Sure it sounds good, and there's content you can't really get anywhere else (although it was mentioned it can be found online...) but it's radio gorram it!

Folks would say it's like satellite for your TV...but there's no comparison. There's a big difference between getting TV and a slew of channels when you live in basically a cave in the side of a mountain,(or Alice Springs Australia out in BFE) and receiving radio out in the middle of nowhere. Run a big antenna. The same one used for TV can be used for radio. Still free service.

I have the feeling Stern's gonna be pissed about this one.

14. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I've always had a tiny interest in subscribing but just had never pulled the trigger. After hearing this, I'm just going to go ahead and put my purchasing gun away.

15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I had it free for a while when I got a new car and loved it, but was kinda irked when it died out. I was gonna re-up but the pricetag was just too much for me. If they cut their prices they wouldn't be going under like they are, because I'd have no problems paying for commercial free, non-standard radio....just not as much as they're asking.

HD radio is nice quality and all, but it's still the same old songs. Satellite Radio played a lot more of the obscure, harder to find stuff so it was different and nice to have stuff you won't hear other places. I mean, I only really used 3-4 stations, but there was always something good on them because they stayed within their specific genres. With normal radio, at least in my area, there's only really 2-3 stations I can listen too and they're a mixed bag of old popular stuff or new popular stuff. Plus having to listen to 10 minutes of commercials during a 20 minute commute kinda sucks :( 

While Satellite radio wasn't worth what they were asking, it was definately a nice service to have while it lasted.

16. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I've been a subscriber for a few years. If you don't spend a lot of time in your car, it's a waste. When I was an over the road truck driver, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I got in my truck in TN, drove to CA, and never had to touch the dial. I spend 2 hours a day in my car now, still, great service. Is it pricey? Yes. Is it worth it to not listen to the same old $h!t over and over on broadcast everyday, to me, yes. If they jack rates, I might change my mind, but we'll see.

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I've got XM. It was free when I bought my new car, liked it so I subscribed. As of the first of this month when I was billed, the price was still the same.