Rumor - New Zelda from Retro?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Chrono Grimlock, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    http://www.nintendolife.com/articles/2008/01/30/retro_studios_working_on_new_zelda

"Rumour mill enters overdrive

We must stress this is a rumour with a capital ‘R’, but a story has come to our attention that suggests that US development house Retro Studios, better known as the chaps behind the successful Metroid Prime trilogy, is currently working on a new Zelda title that could be announced as early as E3."

"It’s probably unwise to comment either way at this stage but given the sterling work Retro managed to do with Metroid, we certainly wouldn’t be against the team being handed the opportunity to give Link a similarly new lease of life."

Crazy if it's true. I've got mixed feelings, they reinvented the Metroid series but Nintendo really out did themselves with Twilight Princess. I'm sure this is will be debunked shortly though. ha

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Still don't see all the fuss that's given to Twilight Princess.

I thought it was twaddle.

3. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    BUT IT WAS SEW DARQUE!1!!1

But in all honestly, I didn't really care for OoT. Twilight PRincess just stuck out for me. Lots of side quests and, an attempt at least, at a more adult involving storyline.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow if they are working on a new Zelda, I need to go down the street to Braker Ln. and apply for a job with them. I swear to llamatron's balls I almost got in when they were working on Metroid, to do the real-time cinematics, but they decided to just use the in-game engine to do simple scenes without elaborate story-telling that they had originally planned. My luck.

5. McBradders

Go and scout it out, I expect a PM in my inbox by the end of the day.

Also, Wind Waker wins, you can keep your "dark" Zelda rubbish. IT'S ABOUT A BOY EXPLORING CAVES! HI!

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly Wind Waker beats out Ocarina for me. I don't think I've ever felt so engrossed as when playing that game, exploring every corner of the ocean, and seeing a tiny little island in the distance, setting course, blowing the wind, and finding out what was hiding there.

7. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Wind Waker is my second favourite! LOOK AT HIZ EXPRESSIONS!

8. McBradders

CATFACED BOY EXPLORZ CAYVZ!

:eek: 

9. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Okay, now maybe this is just me, but, um... WHY DOES IT NEED ONE?! It might be the most successful franchise EVER, it's lease on life is very long indeed right now...

Nintendo's always done great with the series, handing it off to be developed elsewhere, even by a place as good as Retro, doesn't seem right... besides, anyone else remember the last time they did this? We got the CD-i Zelda games... and now that I mentioned them, let's all go back to ignoring their existence.

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I can't wait to bomb some dodongos!

11. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmm, I'll wait and see what comes of this. It better be a sequel to Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass.

Wind Waker Link > Twilight Princess Link

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

This rumor doesn't really make sense. Metroid was handed off to a US developer because the series was never that popular in Japan. Its success was mostly in the US, and if they were going to make the jump to 3D for the first time by taking it in a first person perspective, Japanese developers didn't have nearly as much experience with that kind of thing.

Zelda though, is a series that has been in 3D for ten years, and has always done well in Japan. Not sure what Retro has to offer that Nintendo can't (or doesn't want to) do itself, unless this is some kind of spinoff.

13. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Not owning the Wii yet or Twilight Princess I can't comment on what the previous game was like compared to my only just recently purchased Wind Waker game. However I have to admit it'd be nice to see a new Zelda game that could attempt something crazy. Maybe return to the style of Adventure of Link as far as game play goes only in 3d and with a more engrossing storyline.

Or maybe they'll make a trilogy and focus on Shadow Link/Dark Link, now there'd be an interesting side-quest to play as the shadow of Link and experience his attempts to ressurect Ganon from the grave only to be thwarted in the end by Link... Wait, but then you'd know what the ending is, ok maybe that's not such a good idea. Oooo I know, make Shadow Link his own character and make the trilogy about him trying to discover who he is and why he exists. :D 

Or just remake the original series from the NES days in 3d that'd be fun wouldn't it? It works so well for Final Fantasy. :eyeroll

Ok, I don't know what to make of this RUMOR, but I do know this. Anything in the Legend of Zelda series has its good points and its bad, so even if they serve to turn Link into a space faring smuggler with a hulking brute of an Amazon called Navi as his companion I'm sure the fans will eat it up. (Maybe.)

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Having not played a Zelda game since Zelda 2 on the NES, I was pretty impressed with Twilight Princess.

I think that Retro has shown a great sense of production values and respect for their source material. They could do a great Zelda.

More likely though, I think the rumor is bunk.

15. McBradders

I think the problem is that Zelda (and Mario Galaxy) have sold relatively poorly in Japan of late (Wii versions). The numbers get there in the end, but sell so slowly it may be the case that they wish for the focus to move to the American market where they shift quickly and keep selling steadily over a long time too.

This might indicate that the Japanese studios are moving to more domestically successful IP's that are garaunteed first day hits. Like Pokemon :( 

Makes a little more sense when viewed that way.

16. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:

Nintendo always did great with Metroid as well. And Retro blew me away with their ones. In fact next to Super Metroid, Prime is easily the best of the series, in my opinion.

Comparing Zelda CD-I too Metroid Prime 1-3 is nonsense. Retro has proven itself to handle properties well. I mean, I love Zelda but even I wouldn't mind something new, a little voice acting, etc.

17. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

So we can look forward to Gears of Zelda now. Great.

Press A.

18. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You must not have played Wind Waker :lol 

I'm hoping if Zelda is handed off to another company, it's Capcom. I loved what they did with the GBC/GBA Zeldas.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm surprised Retro hasn't been asked to do a Kid Icarus using the Metroid engine, but making it Third Person.

I was going to say this too. Capcom did a great job with the Gameboy Zeldas. A very good job even, especially the Seasons game.

20. McBradders

Lookit all dat Triforce! Here comes da IPONA TRAIN! NEIGH NEIGH!

Million seller day one!