Rumor: Godzilla 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ra88, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Psycho_Mantis

Psycho_Mantis Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Independence Day 2 also...but i cant stand Will Smith.
    (whenever i see him, i picture him rapping .)

2. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Rumour has it that Michael Bay is interested in directing, but only if he's allowed to ground the lizard in a realistic world.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Emmerich already did. You fail.

4. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Mecha Godzilla, for the new movie:
    [​IMG]

Just kidding.

5. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Hey, I'm cool with 'dat. yAy.

I don't see Toho handing over the rights to Sony again. I mean, they've always wanted an American Godzilla film made, but they can't have liked the finished product. (They probably liked the RESULT of the finished product, though...) They'll be going about this more cautiously this time, I'm sure.

That said, this is a chance to get Godzilla some respect again. It has to be done right, though...

6. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

you know what....I like American godzilla....

bring it on.

7. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    To tell you the truth, I always fancied the idea of having the cartoon series TriStar Godzilla fight a mature Godzilla Jr. from the end of the Heisei/1985-1995 movie series. That would be a fair match in my eyes. As for continuing the 2000 series including the craptacular Final Wars, I rather they didn't because they weren't really great IMO...

Though, if they were to make a more darker and serious film, I think Toho should follow what Daiei studios did with the 90's Gamera...e.g. they should break the rule that no human deaths would occur in a Godzy film.

Overall, I like the rumor, but I highly doubt it would happen. I believe Toho already stated they would restart the franchise around 2015 or so, in order to get "new creativity and blood" into the character.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    About Peter Jackson directing the new Zilla movie...er, no. I was moderately disappointed in the Kong movie because the big guy only appeared after 1 hr in the show. I understand the need for character development but dang, the average movie goer wants to see more of the monster in a monster movie than er, character development. Kong would have been better if it was like the Korean movie - "The Host".

As for a new Zilla movie...I don't know...I mean, the Japanese weren't exactly happy the the last version and it showed when the Japanese version took him/her out within a few seconds in "Final Wars".

9. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    I quite liked the US Godzilla movie. It was fun and had some awesome moments and images (Godzilla coming up the street while the cameraman was filming was one of the best bits, as well as the lead up to that reveal).

The US movie had quite a bit of man in suit action, it was just blended with the 3d and pratical models a hell of a lot better than the Japanese films. Even today, they can't pull off a convincing CG monster and it's really apparent when you're looking at a suit and a CG element. Maybe it's their way of film-making, or budget, or something. Dunno.

(Before anyone asks, I like the Japanese Godzilla films as well, as stupid as some of them are - tiny half-dressed fairies are cute, though, and make up for a lot of stupidity)

10. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Well, suitmation is considered somewhat of an art form in Japan, and combine that with the lower budgets and tighter shooting schedules Japanese films often have, it's pretty much the only option for monster films.

However, Gamera 3 and Ultraman: The Next show that suitmation can still work. And more importantly, look real.

All that said, we won't be seeing a man-in-suit film from Sony, if they go through with it.

11. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Naomi Watts's job in life to be afraid of Samara that's it!

12. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    More importantly, I don't see Toho letting Sony do it because Sony would release it on Blue Ray and make even less money from it:wink: 

13. Shipley

Shipley extremely online

News Credits:
    I'm a little fuzzy on how the success of Spider-Man would affect whether a Godzilla movie.

Does Spidey fight Godzilla?

14. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Amen to that, but I think Del Toro is busy making a new Tarzan movie.

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Darn.
    Well, it was a directorial wish list…

Two points:
    A. For those that said they like the American Godzilla movie I have no backlash.
    It is not a horrible movie. It is a good giant monster movie. To me, that monster just is not Godzilla in anyway other than the roar.

2. It has been pointed out that in Final Wars Godzilla dispatches Zilla (the American Godzilla) in less than a minute.
    To be fair, Godzilla defeats all his foes except for Monster X\Kaiser Ghidorah with relative ease in that movie.
    I think the line in GMK about the Americans thinking the monster that attacked New York was Godzilla but the Japanese “don’t think so” more of a display of Toho’sview point of Sony’s version.

16. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Lets not also forget that Godzilla was created from a Godzillasaurus and Zilla was created from a Marine Iguana. 2 totally different beasts of origin. So in a sense, yes, they should be looked at as two totally different monsters. And this is coming from a big fan of both "Godzillas."

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i dug it too...not the best movie, but it was still fun....i would love to see a new godzilla movie though, cuz i just got GOJIRA on dvd and have been waiting to watch that...maybe ill do that tonight....

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Too bad the timestream got altered and the Godzillasaurus then got mutated by a modern nuclear submarine (was it still alive on the ocean floor for decades?) so it was "unfriendly".

That is the best line in that movie.

19. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

That seems to be the general concensus among people I've talked with about the American version, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I understand that. Godzilla was a giant lizard who destroyed things. That's what the American version was.

Of course, aside from the American version, I don't think I've ever seen a Godzilla film. I imagine this is like saying that to them, the TF are nothing more than giant robots. *shrugs*

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    In the Japanese continuities there are several different versions of Godzilla.
    In some movies he is seen as an unstoppable natural force like in Gojira and GMK.
    In others he is more of an anti-hero and in some he is downright heroic.
    (And, no, I don’t take these movies too seriously, but those themes are there.)

In none of the movies is he just an animal wandering around a city that happens to be causing damage because of his size.
    Godzilla 1984 somewhat portrayed him in this fashion, but I still get more of a “natural force” vibe from it.

But the American Godzilla was just a big lizard that walked around New York.
    It couldn’t breathe fire. It ran from everything.

That’s another thing in every Godzilla movie: Godzilla always fights.

If Devlin and Emmerich were trying to go with the “unstoppable natural force” theme then their creature should not have been killed by two missiles.
    It just seems like an American movie director can’t show the army as being ineffective.
    But if the creature is a force of nature, then there is nothing humans can do to stop it.

I still think the continuity is salvageable.
    Just make the creature more aggressive.
    It’ll certainly be more entertaining.