Rumor: E3 to show PS4 and New X-box!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Jan 6, 2012.

1. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But like many said, it seems like the only thing that can improved overall is the graphics this time. And even for that it won't be reasonable to expect Sony and Microsoft to go all out again like they did with the PS360.

2. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    If this is true, then I can't wait!

But this means that Halo 5 if defo on the 720, so anyone who wants to play Halo 5 HAS to get the console.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I wouldn't really bet on that. Sure Wii U will be less powerful than the new Xbox or Playstation. But the gap is going to be nowhere near the current generation gap between the Wii and 360/PS3. Given how good the Wii U Bird Demo looked from E3, I would think that the gap is going to be closer to the gap between gap between the PS2/Xbox1. Noticeable, but well within the range where the Wii U can get downports of many games on the other consoles.

Also, the law of diminishing returns seems to be hitting games graphics really hard these days. It takes a tremendous amount of power to run the latest games with all the bells and whistles at 1080p with a good amount of AA. For example, Batman Arkham City runs and looks great in DirectX 9. It looks a little bit better in DirectX 11 with PhysX and other DX11 features turned on, but there is quite a performance hit if you're not running a very beastly machine. Basically, it seems that now, we are at the point where we need a whole lot more power for graphics that are a little bit better.

4. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Honestly, I run Batman AA with Direct x11, PhysX, and 3-D, and it runs fine (Yes, my computer's pretty fucking insane), but that's not even a fair comparison to compare to console upgrades, because even a mid range PC is better than the best console capabilities at this time.

I long for the day where these companies finally say "Fuck it, this is going to be the body and board we're using for the next three generations, and that's that.".

Then, premium for the console body, and from there they release actual raam and graphic card upgrades that you can purchase and either install yourself or pay to send in and have them do. Either way their making their money, and there's no more of this having to buy an entirely new console to play the exact same media (because, realistically, PS4 will use BRDs too).

5. Gigatron_2005

Well I was just attempting to demonstrate diminishing returns with current high end hardware/demanding software with respect to visuals. Sure, current consoles are pretty weak compared to even a mid range PC, but even those consoles can put out some great looking games. Batman AC looks pretty alright even on the consoles. With the next gen systems, I think a lot of people are expecting another huge leap in graphical quality as we saw from PS2 to PS3. I just think that a leap that big is extremely unlikely to happen.

6. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

now that is a cruel yet smart business idea

7. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    I think Batman: AC definitely looks alright on consoles, but even at regular settings on PC, it makes them look like absolute trash. There's just no comparing real time 1080p character models and settings to upscaled 5-something-p to 720p on consoles. They look like a jagged mess.

And, I guess that's what I would at least like to see in this next generation. Consoles at least able to run mid-range 1080p real-time renderings and keep a legitimate 60 FPS. I think the overall clarity of it all even would come off as a big visual leap to even casual gamers. You can build a PC that's upgraeable that can do that for around 600 bucks, so I have no idea why they can't build more efficient consoles at a more feasible pricepoint.

8. Gigatron_2005

I wouldnt say it looks like absolute trash. I played Batman AC on PC, maxed out except for AA (I think I used 4x or 8x). At some point towards the end of the game I was lost, so I looked at a youtube video so I could see where to go next. Thing is, it took awhile for me to even notice that the video I was watching was the console version. I think for a lot of people, the graphical quality of the current gen is "good-enough". At least for the first few years of the next gen, I think this could be a big problem for these new consoles.

9. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    I guess that's a YMMV, because I popped it in on 360 at a friend's house and it looks like a jagged mess.

LoL dude... a youtube video that takes up 1/15th of your screen isn't going to show the same inaccuracies as playing on console on a decent sized TV full screen.

And you're right... the current gen is always going to be "good enough"... until better is shown. It's pretty much like that saying, "You can't miss what you've never had.".

Anyways, as said earlier, I'd really like to see some games that take each system to it's potential before a new console's released, And, hopefully, as stated earlier, they start to release consoles that can be upgraded over time as well.

10. Gigatron_2005

Of course its going to look like a mess on a larger TV screen. But even then, I think for a lot of people, it still looks good enough. Or at least good enough to save a couple hundred dollars on a new console. Remember, I am just saying that because of diminishing returns, I think people might be underwhelmed with the 360/PS3 to next-gen leap.

And upgradable consoles have existed before. Nintendo 64 had a RAM expansion pack. And the Sega Genesis eventually turned into a Frankenstein monster if you bought the add ons.

11. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Well... no offense, but most people who play consoles don't play them on TVs below 32" or so I'm thinking, so yes the imperfections show. And, when they're not akin to things like real=time 1080p renderings with true anti-aliasing, of course they're going to be good enough bc it's the best thing they've seen. That's my point.

And yea, I see what you're saying in terms of the leap not being as extreme as PS2 to PS3 era,

And, as for upgrades... I never said anything like console additions have never been done before, but I'm talking more akin to PCs and not that gaudy shit for pretty minimal results like the (shudders) genesis did. It's weird thought, that at least back then they went for the idea, and now they don't.

12. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The genesis was amazing.

[​IMG]

13. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

Yeah and most PC gamers spend thousands of dollars to max out they're hardware so what's your point?

14. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    ... no.

But even made-up stuff aside, if you'd read, we'd kept highest-end PCs out of the equation bc there's no way in hell, and compared to mid-range PCs which are still above and beyond consoles for around 600 with the ability to expand.

... so, there was no direct "point", but a valid comparison for the conversation at hand.

LMAO. GOLD.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  15. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I remain unimpressed- and I think people underestimate what Nintendo is going for with the WiiU. Then again, I may be overestimating what Nintendo is going for with the WiiU, but if the console is truly for "You and I," then the online, game content, and connectivity are going to be vastly improved- if not on-par with the current gen, then surpassing it. Nintendo cannot make a console that "catches them up" with everyone else- they need to make something that needs to be bought.

So yeah. If Sony and Microsoft think they can do that too... good luck to them.

16. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    we need better physx processing, just compare arkham city on a fully decked out pc to 360/ps3, the effects are amazing.

plus what we need is more digital content integration, like digital copy available on release day.

also drm needs to be adjusted, and we could use cloud storage for save files.

and hell, add a browser, and full keyboard mouse support for browsing
    i paid $160 for my keyboard and expect to plug it into anything on earth with a usb port.

17. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    why not buy a computer since that is what you practicly want.

I just want a freaking game consol, like in the gold old days. These days its online here, playcode here, dlc here and all other crap. I want to buy a game and the game is full when I buy it and not 6 months later or earlier " check the psn store for 10 dditional missions that explains everything"...that is WTF and this whole online crap is annoying me.

18. DeathAnghell

DeathAnghell Beast Wars!

I hope this doesn't happen. The Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3 were rushed out way too quickly in my opinion. They need to keep these consoles out as long as possible.

19. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Bad idea IMO. If I recall Sony just recently started turning a profit on PS3's. The main reason the Wii U is coming out is because Nintendo is already behind.

However visuals just can't get much more advanced without the cost of making games increasing far too much for them to be profitable. There's no reason for a new set of consoles yet. Wait until 2015 at the least.

20. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

The PS3 has been profitable for 2 years now.

I think people don't realize how ancient 6 years is in the tech world. Sure, they may be able to do great things with that tech, but it's holding games back at this point. New systems are warranted.