Rumor: Alternators Nemesis Prime To Be A Comic-Con Exclusive???

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Razerwire, May 10, 2006.

1. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Get one for me too!

I was gonna go to SDCC, but my family is making me go on a trip to Thailand right around that time. ARGHHH!!!!

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm thinking more and more about going now...:banghead: 

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Weak. :thumbdown 

Sure, it's fine for the TF fans who can swing by SDCC, but for the other 99% this bites.

4. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Which is exactly why it sucks.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    at least a botcon is a hasbro official TF convention, AND is in a more centralized location for the rest of the country, or continent for that matter... damn... I want one realllly bad, but there is no way I could afford to fly to cali.. :cry 

I hope like hell this is bullshit

Andy

6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah but SDCC is like the mother of all pop culture conventions unfortunately... Well, more fortunately for us Californians than others... But I doubt I'll be able to make it down there in July as well...

7. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I believe it.

8. Wheels

Wheels Cammy's Boy Toy

Damn it, this sucks! :banghead: 

I'm hoping that Hasbro does something smart down the line, or you can count me in that same group. :redface2: 

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    So do I.

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong; but IIRC aren't Hasbro unable to use Alternators for Botcon due to licensing??

If that's the case, how could they use an Alt for SDCC??

Since Chevy produce a truck called the Trailblazer, it's very unlikely, the names are too alike.

When was the last time a Scourge or Nemesis Prime had any retooling from the Prime mold that it was a repaint of?

11. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

If this happens, I may swear off all Hasbro products.

12. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Pick a Nemesis up for me too, if this turns out to be true :cool: 

13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Just speculation on my part, but what if they are doing this to test the waters? Sure a lot of us were excited that we would get a black alt prime, at the same time kind of worried when Kickback said it would be very limited, even more worried now when we hear it might be a SDCC exclusive.

With its mold similarities to g1 ginrai, what if the SDCC version resembles Nucleon Quest Convoy?(blue eyes, silver trim). If there is enough demand, maybe hasbro will release a....

Alternator Scourge(mass market repaint alternator prime) w/red eyes and blue trim instead?

Just speculation on my part, I doubt Hasbro would shaft all of us that want a black alternator prime in some way shape or form.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Botcon/whatever exclusives are made by/purchased from Hasbro according to the convention organizers' specifications, so Hasbro gets final say on what can and can't be done for an exclusive.

For SDCC, Hasbro chooses on their own what to make as an exclusive. The only limits are whatever Hasbro feels is feasible.

That said, I'm REALLY hoping this is not true, because this is the worst kind of discrimination - the kind against me! :) 

15. godsenddeath

News Credits:

I was thinking something along that lines too. IIRC, the range of colors on the Ram SRT10 is pretty limited.

So, unless Dodge allow Hasbro to produce a Ram SRT10 in a non authentic color, or Hasbro retool it into annother version of the Ram ($$$$ - unlikely) their options on repainting the mold are rather limited. In which case, why would they use one of the repaint options exclusively as a convention toy??

16. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Dodge already allowed them to paint the Viper in a non-factory colour scheme, so they don't seem to have that much of a problem with it.

And given the plan would still seem to be to remold every toy in the line at some point, I don't see why another Ram model would be that far-fetched.

This is definitely one of those times when Hasbro does itself no favours by not simply telling people what it's going to do in advance.

Phazer

17. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not great news if true. And I think it will backfire in Hasbro's face as there are ALOT of Alt collectors out there who are trying to support the line by buying all of the figures as they come out. (including the repaints) To make an exclusive that's limited at the cost and size of an Alt a SDCC only toy would outrage and alienate those fans who supported the line the most.

I've done two SDCC's and it's a cutthroat deal with show exclusives. Between collectors and "true scalpers", there's almost never enough of the toy made to sate the frenzy of demand to get one (or more) of any given figure.

Little exclusives are usually handed out to each patron who wants one. They usually are limited to one only, but there are ways around that. The larger ones are drawn for in a raffle of some kind. (usually due to the limited number of them.) I won a He-man figure at one show that way. This is a bad way to give out an exclusive in my opinion since the fan who wants it really bad has to hope his luck is better than the scalper. It's a reason why I dislike Luky Draws. (An LD should be made to order so that all who want one can get one and Takara would make even more money.)

So 95% of the fans who collect this line will get shafted. There will be some of us who will be really screwed who will try to win one off of E-bay and are having to pay $100.00 or more for it. And all the while cursing Hasbro's name.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for exclusives. They add a little spice to a collection for those who care about such things. But I believe they should be made availble to the fanbase that they're targeted at in a way that the fans can pick one up reasonablely. Some who complain that Botcon is unfair in the same way miss the point. Botcon is made for the fans and attracts mostly the fans to attend. A show like SDCC, will mostly be made up of those who could give a rat's ass about TF's save for the money they'll get selling it to a fan online for a fat profit.

You think I'm kidding? Remember that He-man figure I mentioned? Well I'm not a fan of that line and had no intrest in signing up for it. Wanna know why I won one anyway? A guy walked up to me and offered me $20 to sign up for it. And if I won it, he'd give me another $20. $40.00 for a free figure at the show. Guess how much the figure went for after the show. Over $150.00. For a $10.00 repaint. Now what are we gonna have to cough up for a $20 one.

Besides, there are not too many fans who can attend both Botcon and SDCC, so unless Arron and the team want an earful of whine at BC, I hope they offer them at both shows or something even better.

18. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Good ol' Keldor.

Hasbro could avoid that if they produce more than enough of it, which Mattel did not do.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    What a stupid fucking move; deprive almost the entire fandom of a figure that a very large part of it wants, far more so than Botcon exclusives. Good work, Hasbro.

20. godsenddeath

News Credits:

If you mean Sunstreaker, the Viper Competition isn't a standard order car. I don't think it's even street legal in the U.S.(?)

A remold on Ricochet and Rollbar didn't seem that far-fetched either.