Rumble's loyalty

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Funky Munky, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Funky Munky

Funky Munky G.I. Formers & Trans-Joe TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Would you consider Rumble as the most loyal cassette to Megatron?

Kind of depressing in the movie when after you see Soundwave carrying Megs, Rumble hauls the fusion cannon which is actually bigger than he is.
    Then Starscreams orders Astrotrain to take off and as the rear closes, you see only Rumble holding the cannon.

Not sure if Rumble has any true fans or not.

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think Rumble was more loyal to Soundwave than Megatron. He was just doing what Soundwave would've wanted him to do. As far as true fans, I love Rumble. He's actually my favorite, I identify with him. We're both short and like to run our mouth to everyone

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I would say all of Soundwave's original cassettes (Rumble, Laserbeak, Ravage etc) were equally loyal to both Soundwave and Megatron. Megatron seems to have quite a soft spot for Laserbeak actually...

4. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I agree with Auto Morph, Laserbeak was definitely very loyal.

Not sure if Rumble was loyal or just followed the crowd. Rumble never struck me as being all that intelligent

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    For all of Megatron: Origin's many, many faults, it was interesting that Frenzy and Rumble were among the very first of Megatrons followers by being fellow miners and weren't in favor of becoming cassettes for Soundwave.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Depressing? I think it's adorable. It's one of my favorite shots from the movie, and one of the few bits of humor. He's co cute there, dutifully carting along the cannon.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'd say yes. In his original bio, Rumble is said to follow Megs' orders "blindly and hungrily", and is consequently one of Megs' favorites.

8. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Yay for this thread!

Rumble is one of my favourite (G1 cartoon) characters.

He always struck me as one of the better (and more subtly) developed characters.

He councils Starscream, telling him to be practical; he doesn't care about telling Megatron when plans go wrong; he delights in his work but never seems to be committed to the Decepticon cause; he dislikes Skywarp as much he dislikes Hound; and he continually seems to have seen more, know more and run his mouth more than those around him.

As for his loyalty, probably to Soundwave before Megatron, and both born out of realpolitik - our first real introduction to him is talking about Megatron's power and he seems to know when that power is spent - though his immediate anger at Soundwave being insulted points at a bit more.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd say Ravage is just as loyal if not more so, based on the BW appearance, and how he abandons his Predacon mission the instant he comes across a 300-plus year old order from the original Megatron.

10. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Good call on that one and for bringing BW into the mix :p 

I would say Lazerbeak is most loyal to Megatron. There were many times that he flew past Soundwave to land on Megatron's arm.

As for Rumble, one of the best developed Decepticons in the G1 series, I find he is extremely loyal to Soundwave and the Decepticon cause. By default he is loyal to Megatron but I think the loyalty is more towards SW and the cause.

11. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I always took Ravage and Laserbeak to be the most loyal Cassette Minicons. I always considered Rumble and Frenzy to be loyal to each other, but will listen to Soundwave and Megs - until things go a little too down south.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I've always loved Rumble... he's definitely got one of the most vibrant personalities of all G1 cartoon characters. He's probably made me smile more than most others, and that scene in the '86 movie is definitely one of my favourite moments in the film.

As for his loyalty, his original bio made that very clear. He's a mouthy little punk who doesn't take well to authority, but he looks up to Megatron like a street tough might look up to his gang leader. Megatron gives him exactly the kind of guidance he needs. He loves his job, simple though it may be, and hates Autobots. It's a good fit.

Soundwave? This is one of those subjects that breaks G1 original continuity off from G1 Cartoon continuity (not even going to raise the topic of Rumble's colour... oops too late). Soundwave on the cartoon seems to be very loyal to Megatron, but that's probably a misunderstanding of his character. The truth is that Soundwave is a sycophant, a suck-up... he is only loyal to Megatron to the point that it keeps him in his favoured position... but if someone else were to come along that firmly replaced Megatron in that position of power, Soundwave would be just as slavishly devoted to them. Basically, Soundwave doesn't want to lead... but he'll do anything to remain in the #2 spot, at the leader's right hand.

The issue is that all the other Cons know this about him, and have been shafted by him at some point. His G1 bio makes it pointedly clear that EVERYONE HATES SOUNDWAVE because he's a blackmailer, a brown-noser, and just basically your standard middle-management creep who has his eyes on everybody else's business.

I've always objected to the portrayal of the Cassettes as "Soundwave's pets" because it completely undermines their value as distinct characters on their own. Soundwave is not their dad, or creator, or their master. He is nothing more than their direct commanding officer.

BW Ravage got it right... Ravage is actually one of the smartest and most independent Decepticons around, a far cry from his role on the cartoon as little more than snarling lapdog.

zmog

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Wait, is Rumble the blue or red one? *runs*

14. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I know what you're doing. :sly2: 

While I am RIRFIB, it's undeniable that Rumble is the bluish purpley one.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Thread won. Communi....I mean Megatron FOREVER!!!!!!

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

This I agree with.

17. Funky Munky

Funky Munky G.I. Formers & Trans-Joe TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Decepticons being adorable? Isn't that depressing?
    My, what WAS it about that scene?

If that Decepticon carrying the fusion cannon was colored Frenzy, would people's opinion be changed?

18. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    this.

DECEPTICONS FOREVER!

19. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

:lol  Aw, come on, it's possible to be cute and badass at the same time!

I agree about the cuddly "daddy" concept, but I think there would have to be *some* kind of positive relationship there for the whole cassette thing to work. The fact that one member of the group is folding themselves up and crawling INSIDE THE BODY of another one would seem to require some basic level of camaraderie. I mean, can you imagine letting someone you didn't trust climbing in your torso with his weapons right next to your vital organs? Or conversely, being trapped inside someone's chest, completely at their mercy until they decide to let you out...yikes. I can see this being fine when Autobots are involved, but its pretty impressive that this arrangement works at all with Decepticons.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

No difference (the same could be said for Rumble and Frenzy in the cartoon... just the same guy with a palette swap).

It was just a great image that played humourously on both Rumble's size, and his deference to his leader, by bazooka proxy. :) 

Only if you impose human terms on the whole thing. It's just their job. They fold up like ninjas in your outhouse, ready to spring into action at any moment. Being in cassette mode need not feel uncomfortable. It may even be a pleasant dormant state, even if they don't really like Soundwave.

I mean, Megatron transforms into a small "helpless" gun, and jumps into the hands of his greatest rival without even thinking about it. It's probably not as personal as you'd think.

Plus, despite the portrayal on the cartoon, which gives us Soundwave's bottomless chest of deploying leprechauns, I would really doubt that any of the Cassetticons spend ANY time just hanging out in his chest when they don't have to for a mission. Except maybe Laserbeak, whose cowardice might lead him to feel safer there.

zmog