Rules I have come up with when collecting toys (The increasing price debate)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I keep seeing threads about the increasing prices of TFers. Yup they are increasing. Just the way of the world. Try to do food shopping once in a while.

But, I thought I would just give you some rules I have come up with in regards to price.
    1- You can get a deluxe at $15 a pop now, if you just cannot wait and have to have it.
    2- You can wait 6 months and get the same toys on clearance at $8-10 a pop.
    3- You can say screw it not get it. But when you wait longer then 2 years, you may be spending $30 a pop for the thing your complaining about spending $15 a pop on now
    4- If your buying anything other then classics, wait 4 years, you will be able to get them in a lot at bargain basement prices. Look at Animated now.

So just some food for thought. For me personally, after trying to hunt down G1 and so on, $15 keeps me collecting. It's better then $30-$50 average you spend on G1 and classics now a days.

2. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

I agree. I usually wait. There are figures that I want and splurge on, though. I might get a little flack for this, but I think the thrill of the hunt comes from the endorphin rush a lot of collectors get when they find something, its like kids today and the texting.

3. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of these toys will never reach clearance especially for the first few waves of items. Many animated toys are selling for many times their retail prices: Arcee, Waspinator, Blurr, Swindle, Samurai Prowl, electro soundwave, freeway jazz, target shockwave, etc.'

Ironically, this day in age the best sales seem to be in the Christmas shopping season. The doldrums of spring and summer leave no incentive for retailers to slash prices knowing its not the traditional toy buying season

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Funny, because I saw a lot of animated sell for $100 on Ebay, with a lot of the characters you mention here. This was probably 6mon - 1 year ago.

5. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lots are not the same as individual sales.

6. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    I too have revised my buying habits. I used to try to get at least one of every mould, two if it was an especially good repaint.

Basing purchase decisions on two basic things now:

1-Character - if it's one of my faves it's bought!
    2-Design/Engineering - if it's a less popular character but has an amazing
    transformation it's bought! (which will make the review threads here priceless!)

7. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

I don't think he meant actual "lots" but "a lot" of different singular figures. I could be wrong, though.

8. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah. I read it as *a* lot with *alot* of the characters mentioned.

9. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah. I read it as *a* lot with *alot* of the characters mentioned. But if that was only one time he saw that, would really be a good base for the argument.

10. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately the case is nearly always #1. Most stores by me don't do clearance, and with sketchy distribution, I can't really risk never seeing the figure again. I saw FE Starscream once, and passed wanting to wait for the Voyager, but when I changed my mind I had to give up significantly more to acquire him later. This has been a problem the past few lines so if I see it, I buy it.

11. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree alot with your rules and I use several of the same guidelines these days. I don't see a lot of point in spending full retail when the discount chains are doing really awesome jobs stocking a lot of the past seasons hot toys.

But I also can't agree that everything can be lumped in with animated. Animated is feeling the same hit that a lot of classic lines like cybertron, alternators, energon, etc. are taking because people are really interested in their classic styled toys right now. I feel like classics will take a hit too in the coming years if the MP line really continues to heat up.

It's really stupid trying to play toys like a stock market, but let's face it, as collectors that's what we have to do the majority of the time. If you wait on a line and it ends up bottoming out a few years down the road, great, you get to luck out on some awesome toys (like animated). But I don't think it's safe to assume that everything besides classics is going to follow that trend. You may be buying some expensive figures a few years from now. So yeah, in reality, the bargain stores are my "buy it now" point if it's something I really want to add to my collection. I'm not gonna risk it going up more from there.

12. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I take it the $10.50 plus free shipping for a G1 astrotrain I picked up was a good deal. Just need to order stickers from reprolabels and it'll look pretty good and clean.

13. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I started instituting some rules to my toy buying recently.
    1) No more than $20 on a mainline toy. Which turned out nice when I found a DOTM Leader BB for $15 on Ebay with no mechtech backpack.
    2) On screen characters only.
    3) Try to keep it to main characters. I didn't get RID Wheeljack
    4) One representative for each character design. Won't be picking up RID versions of FE toys.
    5) Limit my 3rd party stuff to upgrades for things I already have (Iron Army) or really high end stuff (green Giant)
    6) No more than $100 for a Masterpiece (sorry MP 10, 11, 13)

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think it's always good to set rules for your personal buying habits. I don't like waiting to buy toys, especially retail releases. I disagree that nearly all retails toys can be found for clearance prices 6 months down the road. I choose not to risk waiting 6 months because there's been plenty times I passed on a figure and the price has gone up tremendously, even after 2+ years.

15. Thalack

News Credits:
    How many times hav epeople said they saw somthing on clearance cause it didn't sell, only to find said toy a year+ later going for exceptionally more. HA Barricade, Shadow Megatron are two examples. Also, the waiting for 6 months rule, though I've though of doing it to save money, could very easily mean you need to pay double. I'd rather grab it now at store price, if I have a coupon or some kind of bogo, whatever, thats a nice bonus but I feel I'm paying a fair and cheap price by snagging it now at retail.

Some figures may be available in 6 months for cheap. I just picked up an Ark playset for $15 from walmart the other day. I wanted this figure since I saw it, but never wanted to dump the $30 price tag into it. I got lucky and found it on clearance for $21 and the manager knocked another $6 off cause the box looks like it survived a hurricane, tornado and a World Cup match all at once. Everything inside was perfect and without a scratch. I consider that extreme luck.

It just feels too risky waiting 6 months for a clearance sale cause you honestly don't know what is gonna disappear by then and what will be around. You might get lucky and et everything I have at half price. You may end up finding that kicking yourself in the butt is a good option cause if you REALLY want them now, you have to pay premium ebay prices to get them.

16. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to have these rules back when I was in college. I slacked a bit on them but now it looks like I'll need to reinstate them.

1) No Repaints
    2) Hasbro versions only of products available at retail unless a sale is ongoing
    3) 1 expensive purchase a year (over $50) and never over $200
    4) Don't buy toys I don't like the promo pics of as a "trial phase." This causes many impulse buys.

17. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Here's my rule to save money and be happy:
    1: Buy Cyberverse

18. Thalack

News Credits:
    This is a pretty good rule.

19. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My one rule is try and i say try very loosely try not to piss the wife off! Lol

20. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    Rules\Guidelines:

Rule #1: buy EVERYTHING!
    revision 1: buy only classics, THATS IT!
    revision 2: sell classics only buy masterpiece
    revision 3: only buy masterpiece and third party
    revision 4: add WFC FOC
    revision 5: add tf-prime
    revision 6: contact buyers and buy back previously sold toys
    revision 7: F-it! Buy EVERYTHING