Ruined transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by littlebotbrat, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlebotbrat

littlebotbrat Well-Known Member

What things have ruined or improve the transformers series or toys or about anything you can think of?

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Japanese low-budget CGI... stiff, expressionless, reduced a lot of good characters to pale imitations.

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Wiping out most of the known characters, within a short span of time.

4. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Scandily-clad, big-boobed anime girls.

5. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I think the enduring popularity of the Transformers franchise around the world and it's recent move into blockbuster movies and primetime CN toon shows that nothing has ever ruined Transformers as such.

Sure there's been personal low points, such as the AEC cartoons, but the toys still sold buttloads and they still brought new fans to the fandom.

There have been consistent improvements however, especially in the design and engineering of the toys.

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With the figures, quality control. Things that get installed backward, up-side-down, left-right switch or two left or right (fill in the blank) seems more common than ever before. My first movie Rachet couldn't transform properly and broke in half. First Movie Bumblebee had the morph problem and broke on first transformation. Also with all the QC issues with MP Starscream, I wouldn't dare to transform my Walmart MP Screamer. I just don't get it, Transformers are more expensive that ever and the quality control has never been worse.

7. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How does THIS EVER ruin anything?????? LOL

8. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Banned

Beast Wars.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Nothing ruins Transformers except fans :D 

That's a lonely opinion ;) 

I don't believe that has ever actually occured. From recollection, most human chicks in Japanese Transformers series have been quite normal. No gigantic boobs, or scanty clothes.

10. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Banned

I know, I know... I'm not budging on it though.

11. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    The only thing that comes to mind would be those f**kin' Action Masters..:wtf: 

Come on, you put Transformers on the package in really big letters, and the toys don't transform. Who ever came up with that idea should be pistol-whipped with Shockwave. :stick: 

12. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

And no, you aren't alone. Beast Wars was the turning point to where most of the mythos took a completely different turn. I wasn't able to get into it, though I did indeed try, and I still dislike it to this day.

But on a side note, while some of the qc problems exist, the actual transforms nowadays are so much better than they were. I never thought I'd own TFs like the Classics, with articulation like they have and still looking true to the original characters. I just wish we had a cartoon to go with it.

In short, technology is improving the franchise. Bad writing in my mind isn't so much ruining it as successively tearing down the premises of the older series.

13. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    are transformers not actually more affordable than ever? g1 toys like prowl were about $12-15 and about 10 uk pounds back in the 80's, a similar sized toy today is a scout class at $7 although in terms of metal content that probably puts it closer to being a delux (still only $10) equivalent. it took way longer to earn $10 20 years ago than it does today.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Funny, because if I remember correctly, it was Beast Wars that pulled TFs out of the shitter after Machine wars lost popularity.;) 

As Aussiehippy said, if Transformers was ruined, then we wouldn't have it. We came close once with G2 and Machine wars, but never has Transformers been ruined.

15. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

I think the thing that hurt it for me for a while was Armada. I never saw the show but a couple times, but the figures, yechhh!

But they came back in energon and I started back up. They never got ruined totally, only personally for everyone at sometime in a small way.

16. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

I could predicatably say the movie or Michael Bay, both are high on my list of worst things to happen to Transformers, however the main thing that has 'ruined' Transformers for me over the years reusing and reinventing the same characters,storylines,concepts,gimmicks over and over and by doing so diluting and devaluing the mythology. It has now gotten to the point where words like Prime, Megatron, Unicron, Prowl, Ironhide, Allspark, Matrix and so on mean very little as they have been redifined so many times there's no clear idea of what these things are or what they stand for withing the mythology. This is the primary cause of my occational appathy and mistrust of Hasbro/Takara about the future of the franchise. I'd much rather they'd stuck to one continual continuity rather than the conitual rebooting and rebranding of the franchise we've experienced since the end of Beast Machines.

Yours AK

17. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ruined is a very strong word, but i think the single worst thing to happen to Trasformers was the end of the G1 cartoon.

No cartoon means less advertising.
    Less advertising means a less profitable toy line.
    Less profits equals less to invest in designing new toys.

Judging by the constant succession of cartoons (some better than others) since Beast Wars, Hasbro would appear to have learned their lesson.

18. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    You!!!! there I said it

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know really. Like Aussiehippy said, we wouldn't have Transformers if it had ever actually been ruined. I think that many individuals in the fandom look at personal low points like the AEC, (insert whatever here) ect and start spewing 'OMG, this will ruin TRANSFORMERS!'. But the series has never ended. It may have ended for some (who usually later get back into the franchise when something they like comes along), but just because a fan decides to step away for awhile doesn't mean Transformers were ruined as Transformers is bigger than an individual fan or even an entire fandom. I tend to think that the fans over estimate their importance.

As for me, personally, the AEC trilogy was a rocky point.

20. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Armada toys might have ruined it for you, but they were really, really successful in terms of sales and bringing new people (and old ones) into Transformers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.