Customs: Rubbing Alcohol Inquiry

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Mechafire, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I plan on purchasing FP's Thundershread and the rest of the not-Insecticons sometime in the near-future. I would like to remove the symbols on their chests.

I've found out that rubbing alcohol would be the ideal tool to use. However, I've had varied experiences with rubbing alcohol in the past. Sometimes it would actually dissolve the plastic as I rubbed the desired paint off, among other mishaps.

Does anyone have any tips; specifically as to which rubbing alcohol product I should be using?

Thanks.

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I use 91% Alcohol that I picked up at Wal-Mart. I've used it to remove the red paint on Generations Drift and a few others using q-tips and putting some muscle into it.

As for using it on the FP Insecticons, I can't given any advice there. I'm not sure if the area the symbols are on is painted in any way. if it is, you'll end up removing that paint also. If the plastic was cast in that color, you should be able to remove only the symbols.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Just be careful with transparent parts. Rubbing alcohol can damage and even melt transparent parts if one isn't careful.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

For transparent/translucent parts I use 70% alcohol, just dipping a q-tip or toothbrush into the alcohol and rubbing the paint off. Then washing the piece the second I finish.

For most other parts I use 91 or 99%, depending on which store I pick it up from. More often than not I soak the parts overnight then scrub the paint off.

By "overnight" though, I mean overnight. As in 10p to 10a overnight, not 10a Monday to 10p Tuesday. If you soak parts for too long, you'll actually have paint go into the plastic. Honestly, it happened with my Breakdown custom- the red paint bled into the white plastic of Red Alert. It just worked out that I wasn't planning on it being completely white anyway.