Rubber Tire Replacement (what causes breakeage)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Larkin Vain, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Collector Reborn!

I recently found some of my old Car Robots figures to my delight the figures were in excelent condition, but the tires are cracked and pretty much falling off the wheel. A couple questions.

1. What causes this
    2. Does anyone seel replacement tires.

Thank you.

2. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    rubber dries out, it has an oil in it, the same thing happens to rubberbands when they get old and dry and break,

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's actually nothing to do with drying out, and everything to do with shrinkage. You'll notice that 99% of the time, the tires always split in the same place (for example, on RiD Optimus/Fire, they always split across the "O" in Fire Convoy). That's where the rubber came together in the mold, so the bond isn't quite as strong there as in other places. After some length of time, the rubber shrinks a bit, and stresses the tire, and then it splits along that seam.

Hasbro used to send out replacement tires, but I think they wound up revising their parts replacement policy, so to get replacements, you now have to send in the whole toy and get them to send you one back. However, since RiD toys have long since out of production, that's a no go.

You can, however, fix them yourself with marginal effort. Just stretch out the tires a bit first, gently, and then put a dab of superglue in the seam and close up the gap. It won't be perfect, but it should hold well. The neater you do it, the less the crack will be visible.

4. Ophiophagus hannah

Ophiophagus hannah Active Member

While I agree with the point mx-01 archon made about the tires breaking at the rubber joining point, shrinkage alone doesn't fully account for tires that were molded as one piece but shred and fall off. I have another explanation to offer on why the rubber degrades (if anybody here is a biochemist and I made a mistake please inform me of any error). I do believe that the breakdown of the rubber tires is caused by oxidation of the bonds that hold together the monomers of the rubber polymer. I don't know the name of the monomers but I do believe that a degradation of the bonds holding them together could account for your problems. A breaking of the bonds would lead to a weakened piece of rubber that would break at the weakest point (e.g. the joining point of the tire or where the polymers broke apart). Evaporation of the water contained in the rubber would aid in making the tire weaker as the total volume of the tire would be less. As to the second part of your question no, I have no idea where to get replacement tires. I would try any of your local hobby shops or even try to find companies that repair old model toys/cars. They might have the machines to mold new tires for you.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    My RID Prime looks silly rolling along on rims. (...and an incomplete trailer for that matter.) I always tease him and Magnus about it but they just give me death-stares.

Completely true story by the way.

Quoted For Scientific Truth.

6. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

I've only evr heard about this with the RiD cars and on ocassion the G1 stuff. If I recall correctly, the RiD tires are filmsy and cheap. You can see 'seams' in the rubber which is where I believe they generally split. It's as if they partly poured liquid rubber int the mold, let it cool them added the rest. The wheels onmy Alternators seems to be of sterner stuff but I'm paranoid that they'll split one day as well.

Is there a way to keep the tires from drying out? Can you use a touch of Armour-all on that type or rubber?

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I was thinking this myself.

I'm paranoid for the rubber in my alts and 20th Prime now.

8. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Collector Reborn!

Same here... is there a way to save them?

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I think it's mainly a RID thing.. all my sealed RID are still fine, however ALL the ones I opened have slitting tires except magnus. I simply superglued them back together and they seem to be fine and if you do a good enough job you really can not tell. none of my vintage G1 stuff has any cracked tires which is good, thank god.

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I had issues with this first hand.

I sent my RID optimus back to Hasbro (some time ago) and they ended up replacing him, but not after they sent my two of the mini primes :redface2: 

After that fiasco I bought a Prime and Magnus at a garage sale, jut for the replacement tires...

11. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    nah they pretty much just dry out, the rubber gets old, shrinking and cracking are also a problem of this. they can be superglued but stretching alot would cause it to crack in other places. you can use oil or petroleum jelly to revive certain rubber alittle bit.not 100% sure of it helping the toy tires though, the petroleum jelly couldnt hurt them i dont think though.

12. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Other than RID/CR toys I have also had this happen to my THS-01 Galaxy Convoy. I was pissed because he had just sat in my case for about a year, and when I pulled him out to be dusted two of his tires on the trailer were split. DAMMIT.

I have heard a coat of armorall every now and then works, but I have never tried. I just group it in with white plastic, BW/BM vac-metal, and brittle plastic as one of the things about collecting toys that makes me glad I don't look at it as an investment. Well, I guess it is an investment of sorts, but I look at it mostly as a losing one.

13. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    hey, i posted a thread like this eons ago...cuz my RID all have messed up tires too...and all i can say is this better not happen to my alts, or im gonna go bust hasbro's nose....or go to a hobby shop, and see if i can find replacements...but even if i can, that still sucks....

14. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Anyone with some solid advice on how/where to find spare tires of various sizes, so that a replacement might be picked out??

I have a g1 Tracks with 2 missing wheels, I got him for $1 and he's fine otherwise...

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they were dry, they'd be hard and crumbly. In my experience, they still stay soft and stretchy. They just don't meet together at that seam anymore.

16. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I've seen soemwhere before, but i cant remember the site, but what they did is they had some armour all in a cup and would soak the tires in it for a period of time and it seem like it work for them...

I have that problem with my RID Prime and UM. they both have a nice few split tires each. so once i saw that i started to useing the armour all wipe once and awhile, haven't had any split since, so it seems as if it working good.

17. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I used to work at a PC servicing center in College, and we used something called fedron to revitalize the rubber rollers in printers when they dried out. I think I have a case of it in my closet somewhere for my laser printer. It works very well at restoring the "rubberiness" of rubber.

Just make sure you wear gloves when applying it, it dries out your fingers. Also, use it sparingly in a somewhat well ventilated area, although the fumes give you this neat tingly sensation too much of it can melt your brain.

Peep the link:
    http://www.teeveesupply.com/product_pages/chemicals/fedron.htm

~X

18. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I'll have to look into that stuff. Thank you.

19. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I dunno about rubber tires but if you put that shit on a rubber condom it will eat the rubber... lol.