Customs: RTS Wreck-Gar Handlebar

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Kiddcade, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Kiddcade

Kiddcade Signal Lancer

A -VERY- kind individual was nice enouhg to middle-man a Wreck-Gar figure for me, since they never showed up locally. this figure was nicely boxed and cushioned by airbags... and in his Card NRFP when I got him.

I went to transform him to robot mode and his handlebar broke off. I didn't move it manually or impede it or anything. it literally, just fell off.

I've taken images to detail the damage. Is there some way I can fix it? And then, prevent this sort of damage in the future?

My season 3 Autobots collection is nearing completion. I can't do it without Wreck-Gar.

The handlebar itself:
    [​IMG]
    Wreck-Gar's leg:
    [​IMG]

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Did you try to use the automorph in the leg? The instructions say to use it to transform the leg and handlebars, BUT if you do this, it can crack the plastic around the pin and/or break it completely (like you've shown). I'm not saying you did this, just wondering if yours was like this straight out of the package or if you did try the automorph via the instructions.

The best way to transform him is to use a fingernail and swing the handlebars out, then take a hobby knife and cut off the two small tabs on the inside of the handlebars that are supposed to "snap in" to transform into alt mode. These small tabs/nubs actually help to crack the plastic because they don't really give like they're supposed to for the automorph to work properly.

As for a fix for this, you could use a couple of very tiny drops of super glue on the plastic surrounding the pin and glue the piece back in place. Be sure to move it around as the glue dries, that way you prevent any excess glue from freezing up the entire thing. If you do this, I'd still suggest cutting off the small rounded tabs/nubs on the inside of the handlebars once you fold them out. Once that is done, it should transform properly with the automorph function in the leg.

Hope this helps you out, man--and sorry yours cracked/broke. Hope you get it fixed!

3. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

For this type of fix, I wonder if the plastic fusion would be better. Doesn't it melt the plastic around it bonding it together?
    Superglue will just glue it together with the glue inbetween the parts. it's also to faces being glued together (a butt joint) and is one of the weakest ways to glue something together.
    Randy!

4. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    same happened to mine. i just cut the little tabs that plug into the leg and glued the piece back on

5. Kiddcade

Kiddcade Signal Lancer

in the following diagram, do I cut at 1 or 2, to disable automorph and rpevent future breakage?

[​IMG]

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Cut at 2. It won't completely disable the automorph, but it prevents the handlebars from being forced out and stressing or cracking the plastic. You would still need to manually move those to transform into bot mode.

7. Kiddcade

Kiddcade Signal Lancer

Welp. The patient appears to have survived the Surgery.

I'll be keeping him in Robot mode henceforth. if the superglue doesn't take then I'll use plastic weld epoxy.

And i'll get a United 'Gar as his Pimped-out ride....

[​IMG]