RTS situation?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Magnus12, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

With the canceling of the prime first edition figures in the US, I've heard a lot of reffering to the rts line. Now I really got into more g1/classics stuff a little while ago, and only collected a few rts figures at marshalls. So can someone explain to e the situation that took place for the rts line?

2. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

RTS made a guest appearance in some major retail outlets (I specifically remember stumbling across a number of the deluxes at two Targets I frequent) before disappearing right before the big DOTM line-push, only to end up in droves at Marshall's, TJMaxx, Ross, and Five Below stores.

That's the long and short of it.

3. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People are wrong though. RTS at least still made an appearance. This is more like the tail-end of the PCC line which never made it to the US at all or HA Mudflap. Even though they did show up at the discounters, it was never really in large supply.

4. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    It was a great line. Its just that a lot of the retailers still had tons of hunt for the deceptions and Generations toys left over from Christmas 2010's reportedly poor sales.
    Despite having some of the most legendary fan nod molds in a long time.

So the retailers could not order more. And fans raged about not being able to find things like voyager lugnut, Wreck Gar, and of course windcharger who was packed in cases as a new mold alongside redeco chopsaw and several repacked hunt for the decepticons scouts.

Windcharger is the hardest thing to get in the reveal the shield line because of this case assortment. But there are two per case.

A lot of it, like the battle in space pack and wreck gar felt like a tribute to the 25th anniversary for The Transformers the movie. The battle in space pack was the easiest thing to find at retail. Because it was a different item class than the scouts, deluxes, and voyagers that were occupying space.

You could get it readily from Hasbrotoyshop (which would sell out in within hours of restocking) and bigbadtoystore (though the price was a little high for the more popular characters unless you bought a case)

Its slightly different then the prime first editions. Because a majority of major retailers were prepared to take Reveal the Shield so hasbro produced the units. Its just that their sales were not on track as predicted. So the cases were not replenished. With the First Edition Prime toys, Kmart, Target, and walmart were offered the line as a 4th quarter extra lineup for Christmas and Toys R US was the major retailer that accepted the offer further and would have been a store exclusive if not for Hasbrotoyshop, and online retailers signing on for their smaller shipments of the first wave. and it was enough so Hasbro could barely produce the line in this market. Under limited quantities. However the timeing was running far behind with first editions arriving in december. With the schedule so far behind, and with TFPRIDE approaching in march. The line has been canceled. The multilingual packageing on the canadian toys r us versions were distributed but its believed that they never completed the American English only packaging stage for the later waves so there are no American second wave first edition toys sitting in warehouses. Clearly Hasbro had hoped more retailers had signed on for this launch. But its easy to see how the retailers once again broke the collectors back with their Christmas or bust attitude.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The RTS line had incredibly spotty distribution. Some places got it in abundance (see the many bastards who brag about all their Wreck-Gars), some places saw only one or two waves, and some places never saw a damn figure from it. A lot of the figures ended up appearing only in discount and overstock stores while some, like Windcharger, were pretty much non-US exclusives.

And then there's poor Rumble, which was just outright cancelled.

In retrospect, it was a pretty stupid idea on Hasbro's part to split up Generations and RTS into separate lines.

6. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Except that the PCCs did make it to the US, albeit directly to the discount stores (except during Walmart's Black Friday promotion). Same with the HA Mudflaps.

7. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Okay thanks everyone. SO Rts at least was seen in the US. SO does this mean Prime won't be at discount stores at all?

8. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    1st Edition, who knows, everyone is hopeful. Just gonna be a wait and see game, or run for the canadian border.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I wouldn't bet on it. RTS was a wide release line - everybody was supposed to get it. First Edition was an online retailer and TRU exclusive. I think there's a much smaller chance of it turning up at discount stores.

10. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Considering, though, that many of the RTS deluxes I've picked up at Ross compare their price to the TRU-established prices, perhaps...

11. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

I would still have to say there's a chance though, since I've seen a lot of store exclusives show up at the discount stores...like the canceled GI Joe Target exclusive deluxe battle packs come to mind.

12. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It would be nice to see at the discount stores. I agree with what was said earlier in the thread. FE is nothing like RTS.

13. chaosMonkeyPoo

chaosMonkeyPoo Well-Known Member

I've even found online exclusives at discount stores (pretty much every GI Joe exclusive set, like the Resolute sets for example). So it not hitting mass market really doesn't matter in that regard. Plus, we all have to realize that they did actually manufacture these and package them in US packaging. If they didn't do that we would have heard them cancel it months back (toy lines are produced at least 3-6 months before actually hitting stores after all). Despite never actually being distributed they still exist. They are just sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting for however the hell Hasbro is going to liquidate them and the most likely way is discount stores.

14. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My bad, it was supposed to read ...

15. snoopcow

snoopcow Yara Naika?

i blame this all on The Situation...