Minor/Repaint: RTS Jazz

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jbarb78, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My personal favorite of all the new Classics/Generations scale figures, Jazz is kick ass! I custom mixed up a new shade of white, similar to Lexus Arctic White, out of HoK Kustom Kolor paint. The stripes were painted, which I stopped just shy of the decklid. Decals were provided by Boggs6ft7, and Frenzy_Rumble, and protected by Testor's Wet-Look lacquer. His bot mode parts were coated in HoK Flat Black, then drybrushed with Testors enamels and/or airbrushed with custom mixed HoK.

It was hard waiting for the camera to get fixed, I've been wanting to get this guy up for weeks.

Now on Ebay!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190523015041&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 030.JPG
      030.JPG
      File size:
      108.2 KB
      Views:
  2. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

That's awesome man, and the quality of paints that went into this adds to that awesomeness! Curious though, being the skillful styrene builder you are, how come you didn't add a new wing to this bad boy to give him even more G1-ness? All in all, excellent work!!

3. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

Now Jazz is jazzed up and ready to rock !

4. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Heh, thanks Zac. I thought about the spoiler, but I have a much LARGER project on the styrene cutting block right now....

Hell yeah he is! He's rockin' Ebay right now.

5. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Awww yeah. That's hat right there, son!!! :thumb 

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    VERY cool!

7. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

Nice one man! Love the paint job & decals bro'!

8. jmart

jmart Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sweet !!!

9. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Awesome paintjob! Looks like it stepped out of a comicbook!

10. beigoma

beigoma Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

Your stripe painting skillz have me awestruck. Conversely, I like the fact that you didn't paint stripes on the side of the car. Sometimes less is more as you have so deftly demonstrated. This is one of the best figs Has/Tak has made in a while (of any line) and you definitely took it to the next level.

Plastic hotness you make.

11. cuters

cuters Diabolist

Looks great man i really need to find jazz for myself

12. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Thanks guys!

Why thank you sir, my sentiments exactly with the side stripe. I figured with such a cool looking alt mode, and all the flowing body lines, why screw it up with excessive clutter? I had more decals cut and ready to go too, but once I saw it this far, I liked it too much to continue.

13. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Thanks man, I had to look all over the internet for this one a few months ago, and go figure, they just started hitting Cali recently.

14. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I'm not going to lie to you...I'm not keen on the stripes. It's not that you did a bad job...and mind you, I'm totally incompetent with paints, so this constructive criticism means almost nothing. That said, they just seem too wide. Looking at various images of Jazz on teh Google, it looks like the stripes only take up maybe 1/5th of the auto body - no more than 1/3rd - whereas yours look like 3/5ths.

But that's a minor quibble. The rest is just amazing. The silver-on-black grille, the decals, the magnificent paint job...the details on the speakers...maybe it's just the camera angle, but even the windshield wipers seem to "pop" a little more. He looks truly badass.

15. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Very, very well done. This guy looks great! Can you add a link to the auction in the first post?

- Alty

16. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Thanks man. I usually try for a different twist on certain designs like this, so I dont always follow the original design to a "T". The wider stripe was intentional, mainly because I knew nobody else would think to do it. And I appreciate the guts to express that observation, very rare around here lately.

Long time no see Alty, thanks man! Link added!

17. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Thanks. I think you may have to do a tutorial for masking paint to create those pin stripes. They're so cleanly done. I usually have problems with paint bleeding under the masking tape that I am using. Care to share any tips? I thought about using Frog Tape, electrical tape, or even a liquid mask in the future.

- Alty

18. MissingSea

MissingSea Slightly Insane

Lovely job on him, Jazz is one of my all time favourites and this mold is fantastic (I still have one awaiting customising). I was going to post my version, but after seeing the great versions over here he pales in comparison. Great work :) 

19. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    I use mainly Tamiya masking tapes, they dont bleed quite as much. Automotive tapes also work really well, they're made mostly of vinyl, which doesn't allow paint to bleed. All I usually do is lay out the reverse of what I want to mask, basically laying out the stripe I want painted first. This way I can see the exact placement of where I want it.

Once it's good, I then mask to that line, usually with 1/8" tape, and once both sides are done, pull the tape where I want the paint. Another reason paint bleeds is it isn't fully pressed to the surface. I use either a fingernail or a bamboo skewer to press the edge down, and spray away. A light coat first to cover the edges, then a nice final coat.

Thank you man, I'm pretty impressed with this mold as well.

20. formula93

formula93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've always used cut vinyl for my stencils, and I rarely get any bleed. I realize most people don't have the same access to the equipment for that as I do, but it really does work well.