Customs: RTS G2 Prime mod idea...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by gericault, Mar 22, 2011.

1. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    I've been looking at the RTS G2 Prime mold...has anyone tried, (or know how to!) to get rid of the doubled wheels on his legs to replace them with single wheels? I was just thinking that doing so would make his bot mode seem less kibbly as the wheels would fit into his legs without the second set of wheels jutting out like they do...
    Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions?

2. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    He's a Semi, he's suppose to have the double set of wheels on the rear end, it doesn't make sense nor would it look good. That's just my opinion though.

In order to remove the wheels you will have to remove the pins, then reattach the new wheels with the same pins that came out of the existing wheels.

3. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I think you need a spacer as well right? to account for the old wheel thickness? or would you cut the post and pin down so it's only one wheel wide?

While I understand what you're are trying to do, I'm with overhaulimus in that it should have the double wheels. Thats one of the things I really liked about this mold. the only prime I can think of that had the double before this was the "transcanning" prime from takara from movie 1.
    Randy!

4. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Not sure why anyone would want to remove the dual wheel setup on this AT ALL. I think is a dumb idea all around but that aside:

You'll need to pull the pins, remove the wheels you don't want and either trim the pin down to fit the new (smaller) width OR dig up some smaller pins from your spare parts bin.

You're just going to wind up with a funny looking truck that has a wide front end and a thin back that turns into a skinny legged robot. Seems like a lot of work for less than stellar results of an odd idea. YMMV

5. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I echo what has been said, but I'll also add that I think the wheels also add that needed thickness to the legs. Otherwise, they look like chicken legs. Not saying it's a bad idea to do what you're asking, but I just think the double wheels are alt mode accurate and they give a bit more thickness in the skinny legs department.

6. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    If he does this, then yes he either needs to cut the pin down or use a shorter pin from something else.

But I still stand by that with the wheels changed that it is going to look wrong, he's a tractor trailer semi, they all have the double wheels in the back of the truck and double wheels on the trailer.

7. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Correction, not *ALL* semis have dual rear axles! My roommate's rig has a wider, 'super single' setup on the rear of his tractor trailer...
    (Not my image, but it gets the point accross...)
    [​IMG]
    So, while the tires on the legs would have to get 'beefed up' a little, they wouldn't necessarily have to be as wide as they are currently; yet still be accurate to a 'real life' altmode...

8. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    You're totally right, all of the rigs that my family ever drove had the double rear wheels so I forgot that some do indeed have single rear wheels.

9. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Wow, such a debate for an innocent question! I tend to be more interested in overall aesthetics as opposed to realism when it comes to TFs, and it just seemed that it would be cool if the wheels completely slotted into the legs rather than sticking out.
    (see? aesthetics!)
    Thanks to everyone for the tips, and Methusalen for defending my clearly controversial idea:wink: 

10. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

When you turn them and alide them into the legs I find they look great - best of both worlds. But that's just me.