RTS Battle in Space, Cyclonus vs Rodimus

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Rotorstorm, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got my set in the post yesterday and saved opening till late so Rodimus was my last transformer of 2010 and Cyclonus the first of 2011.

I own both of the original Classics versions so that is what I shall compare them to. They both look almost identical to the challenge at cybertron set with the exception of the faction symbols.

Rodimus is by far the weaker of the two due to the mould in general and some choices. The decision to use all red and gray plastic is a crying shame as one of the things I like most about the original is the light piping and detailed cockpit. This release does away with both of those, seems to have fewer paint apps and feels a far cheaper lower grade of plastic. A shame but since he's going to stay on my shelf in Robot mode it doesn't matter too much I suppose.

Cyclonus and Nightstick are still a nice couple of transformers moulds that every serious transformers fan should own at least once, they are nicely designed and as a plus unlike Rodimus, the colours are superior to the original.

Unfortunately Cyclonus and Nightstick both suffer the same plastic grade as Rodimus which is a severe disappointment since it doesn't feel of as good a quality as the originals. Further disappointment came when transforming and finding that Cyclonus' nose cone is bent in an inconceivable manner making him look like he's sniffing or reaching for a higher signal.

Overall, I don't feel they were worth the £25 I paid for them, the Cyclonus is nice and the comic is a good extra but I would far rather have sacrificed the diecast matrix necklace (I'm guessing it's for a pendant or some such) for a plastic quality closer to the originals.

I give the set 6/10, have the plastic felt better and Cyclonus not had a bent nose it would be a 8/10. If you have both of the originals, I struggle to recommend it but if you have yet to experience the awesome of Cyclonus, or are looking for something cheaper to don the protector armour, this might be worth a look.

Pics and comparisons in the morning.

2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I'll start off with saying that the set gets a solid 9.5/10 from me.

I'll start with the accessories and whatnot.

The Matrix:
    The Matrix is a well-molded die-cast accessory with two rings at the top that allows you to attach a chain, or a string, etc and wear it. Or, make a smaller one and put it around the neck of a figure. I.E. Galvatron. Theres one problem though...
    its completely silver, with no painted details like the orange, or the blue center. A bit of a let down, but its still pretty kick ass.
    8/10

The packed in Comic, RODIMUS VS. CYCLONUS
    Written by Simon Furman, and drawn by some guy named... Boo... RVC is set inbetween the death of Ultra Magnus and the landing of Rodimus, Kup, Wheelie, and the D-bots on Junkion. I wont spoil it for you guys, so I'll stop there. But I will ask one question,
    Cyclonus was a spawn of Unicron, so it makes sense he knows about Aria-Bellum, but what about Hot Rod? Theres no sense that he can know about it, he doesnt have the matrix yet... hell, KUP, the robot of infinite ancient knowledge, and he doesn't know about it...
    . Also, the drawings are a bit exaggerated, but cool.
    Other then that, I like it. 8/10

Nightstick:
    The only targetmaster of the classics line thus far, Nightstick is pretty damn awesome. He's a dude. Who turns into a gun.
    Thats...
    EPIC. 8D 9.7/10

I'll post the review of Hot Rod and Cyclonus seperately.

3. BurnPilot

BurnPilot Well-Known Member

I just purchased this last night as well and found out something pretty interesting. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but the matrix seems to have the option of snapping into G1 Prime's chest. Basically, if you look at the little gap between the two holes most people are attaching the chains to, it's a perfect fit for the piece of plastic that runs up the center of G1 Prime's open chest. Just snap it in and it fits perfectly and his chest still closes up. Hadn't seen it mentioned yet, but I could have missed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's because the Matrix comes from the exact same mold as the Japanese "Goodbye Convoy" set, which was the first toy ever to come with a Matrix, which was designed to fit inside his chest cavity.

5. BurnPilot

BurnPilot Well-Known Member

Cool, I wasn't aware that's where it came from. Don't really know much about the Japanese releases as I just got back into Transformers after finding my original Prime and Jetfire packed away about the time Classics first came out. Will just have to buy another copy of the set I guess if I want a matrix for anything else as I'm pretty sure I"ll just leave that one in Prime now :) 

6. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    I didn't know that either. Now my Pepsi Prime can have his matrix.

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I thought the comic's flashback made it pretty evident that Hot Rod gleaned the knowledge in the instance he held the Matrix at Prime's funeral.

Close but not quite. The Matrix is not that old; it came from the 2002 "New Year's Special" Convoy re-issue. It was also included with the Galvatron re-issue.

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bah, all these random Japanese sets and their esoteric naming schemes, it's so hard to keep them straight.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The main difference is that the Goodbye Convoy set was a vintage deal, not a modern re-issue (though some might argue how modern 2002 is at this point). The 2 sets do have something in common, though: they both feature Prime with blue windows (the New Year's Set gave him blue eyes in addition to the windows)

10. Deceptichage

News Credits:
    Was there a reason for the two holes on the matrix or was it always optional to hang a chain there?

11. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

Pics. Please !!!!!

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It was always optional to hang it from a chain. IIRC New Year's Convoy included an adult sized chain so you could wear it around your neck. The Galvatron reissue has a Transformer sized one so you could hang it around Galvatron's neck (just like the Movie), and judging by that one guy's sig it goes well on Thunderwing too.

13. Deceptichage

News Credits:
    Interesting info on the New Year's Convoy. I had never bought one when I got back into Transformers in 2005. Since then there have a few Prime reissues and I picked up Encore. I have had the reissue Galvatron for awhile now and thought I had done that seeing as I had put a chain on MP Prime's matrix.

14. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My original classics Rodimus decided to break on me today (chest hinge snapped on one side) I had him in pieces to see if a repair will be possible, need to go buy some superglue)

So I decided to investigate the Rodimus in the pack further, I think after some nail varnish remover he won't look too bad (apply it to his grey leg pieces which are moulded in red and his spoiler which is in fact orange to get him closer to the 2006 version.)

the most intriguing thing I did however was swap out the windsheild pieces
    [​IMG]

the detail of the seats comes out clearer with the lighter red plastic and looks really nice. Once someone realises there is money to be made in reproducing clear versions of the wind shield piece people will be far more satisfied with him I think.

15. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just opened my set from BBTS. I love the colors on both toys, but MAN, are these guys prone to stress marks! Rodimus had one running 3/4 the length of his passenger side door/hip panel right out of the package. And I didn't notice that one of Cyclonus's wing tabs had a bit of mold flash, and that caused a big stress mark when I tried to insert it into the slot in his shoulder. :( 

I'll try taking a hair dryer to them. If that doesn't help, I'll probably be looking for another set to exchange for these. On Rodimus, at least, it's WAY too noticeable.

16. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

Ebay:
    I nabbed this set a day or two ago, and figured I'd snap a few pics to show how the figures compare with their Classics/Universe counterparts.

First up is Rodimus:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The plastic quality of the BIS Rodimus is below that of the original. I wouldn't go so far as calling the figure bootleg quality, but it does feel rather cheap. The "Ronald McDonald" color scheme and reduced number of paint apps also contribute to the cheaper feel of BIS version. The parts of Classics Rodimus that were molded in blue translucent plastic are molded in red for the BIS release. This means the (admittedly ineffectual) light piping for the eyes is gone this time around. Worse still, the decision to ditch the translucent plastic in the BIS version takes away one of the best features of the original; the interior cabin detail in vehicle mode. The BIS version has to make-do with opaque, painted-on windows.

A few other differences I noticed between the Classics and BIS versions:

• Perhaps as a result of the cheaper plastic, there are visible stress marks on both arms of my BIS version, where they plug into the shoulders, and on the elbows.

• The pins in the elbows are different on the BIS version, held in place by a flat metal "cap"

• One component of Rodimus' transformation is the car roof rotating 360 degrees. On the classics version, there is a notch in the rotation which, by offering slight resistance, indicates the correct position for the roof in both robot and vehicle mode. No such notch exists on my BIS Rodimus, meaning the roof must be eyeballed to get into the right spot.

• The chest of my BIS Rodimus does not lock into place as securely as the original

Overall Thoughts:
    If you're a Hot Rod fan and have yet to pick up a Classics or Henkei Rodimus, it's hard to discount BIS Rodimus completely, if only because getting your hands on any other version of this figure is going to cost you significantly more. That said, the Rodimus mold is showing its age in the articulation and engineering departments and this new version isn't doing it any favors by downgrading the plastic and paint apps. If you're a fan of the character and have limited funds, the $10 asking price(as a share of the set) is attractive relative to the other options. If you're looking for the definitive version of this mold and have cash to burn, you'd probably be better off with the Classics or Henkei.

17. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I have this set and I have to agree about the plastic. It doesn't seem up to the normal standards. Otherwise, this is a good set.

18. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I picked up the set today simply for Cyclonus. He looks remarkable and true to 1986. Sadly, Rodimus/Hot Rod's mold just doesn't make the cut for me.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like Rodimus. He's far to bright and cheery color-wise to outright dislike.

Cyclonus is good too, and achieves its cartoon-accuracy goal quite well. The vast amounts of grayish purple is a little much and dull overall, especially in vehicle mode. I noticed there are actually two similar tones of purple on Cyclonus, one slightly more saturated than the other, but you really have to look to tell them apart. I wish the two tones were more distinct to give more visual variety, but that's more a preference than an actual complaint.

The rubsigns got moved or removed, as they stood out like sore thumbs - especially on Roddy, as it's the only bit of pure black on the entire toy.

20. Dave_6

Dave_6 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I already have a Classics Rodimus that I used with my FP Protector, so I picked this set up mainly for Cyclonus. It will be nice to have another Hot Rod to keep that way. The backpack on mine is extremely loose though.