RPMs....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MaxLinden, Sep 28, 2010.

1. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Sooo, yesterday, I saw every single RPM at dollar tree (A dollar store).... I was thinking about buying them all but then I thought to my self, are these even going to be worth anything and they look like pieces of shit....

So basically, are these thing even worth it to go back for?
    Be honest on what you think of them....

2. thundercatlord

thundercatlord Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Save your money. Even if they are just a dollar.

3. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Pass

4. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I bought them all for the reason they are hot wheels versions of transformers....

5. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I picked up all of them at a Dollar Tree.I wouldn't pay more than $1 for them though.They look pretty nice,but it's all plastic,so they feel kinda cheap.

6. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    I don't feel so.

I'm glad Hasbro was able to leverage Transformers into the Hot Wheels aisle (meaning kids looking at Hot Wheels may see these and get into the "real things"), and I think kids responded well enough to them.

But as a long time collector, I don't care for them, and I'm not the only one. Those 2 or 3 collectors that DO give a flip about them, already got them (and with the ones showing up at Dollar Tree, they may even have multiples).

Unless buying for a kid, I don't feel it is worth it to get them now, and I certainly don't see them as any sort of investment. Even by the low standards of investment toys have now, RPMs are even lower.

7. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    they are Okay. i have a few. I May suggest you to buy 1, and see if you like it or not

8. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime as a hot wheels....c'mon how can you not like this?

9. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

They're a neat little sideshow. The only one I have is good ol' Jesus-Whips Jolt (my favorite design), but the new Speed Stars RPM line looks awful.

If they look neat to you, pick up one or two. I like Jolt a bunch, and I think the movie ones are way better than the newer line in terms of detail and painting, but whatevs. Check 'em out if you think they look cool.

10. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

If you don't like them and think they look like crap, don't buy them. I like them and have quite a few, but I know they aren't really popular with other collectors. I only buy ones that appeal to me and actually look decent though; a lot of the new ones that just came out are rather pathetic looking and look very cheap. RPMs are great for kids, but they are definitely hit or miss with adult collectors. If you don't really like them at all, you might as well pass, even if they are $1, because you may just end up sick of them and ending up as a "regret buy".

11. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    RPMs look good (especially the ones with die-cast). The Speed Stars ones look pretty cheap. The non-movie decos are terrible and uninspired.

12. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

my best advice.

whenever you buy a TF toy. buy the toy because you trully like the character,design & color scheme.

I never buy anything out of completist or for future profit.

13. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

My son loves them. I personally find them much better-looking than the Legends in alt modes (which are the same size), and wouldn't mind displaying a few of them when my son grows out of them.

14. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I bought a stack of them at Dollar Tree for a buddy's kid who I bought the Devs track for. I dish em out to him every month or so. He likes em, but he is two. As far as them being worth something, I doubt it, but I don't know enough about them to know if there are any HTF ones, but its not like you are gonna be able to hauk them for anything too worthwhile in the near future. If you like a character, pick it up, if not, save the cash. They are decent, but not for me.

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I have a few. But I mostly limit it to the main cars. Starscream and Megatron as RPMs is a ridiculous idea. It looks kinda good to see the Autobots in convoy. I'd love some G1 RPMs if they could get the original altmodes... probably not going to happen.

I don't have much of a toy car collection, but I'll pick up occasional cool stuff like batmobiles and such. This is like an extension of that. RPMs also display quite well with legends TFs, if you like to set up alt and bot mode displays.

16. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I collect RPMs but I'm getting tired of them, after all, they are just glorified Hotwheels-type toys. They appeal to me because I used to collect Hotwheels and now TF figures, so they are sort of a bridge or link between the two...

17. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    personally, i'm not a fan of these. My nephew has a few of them and I checked it out to see how they were built/what type of plastic or if at least some die cast on them...I was very dissapointed in them, like everyone is saying, the plastic feels very cheap, almost KO IMO. My nephew had 2 OP and gave me one to keep. I either keep it stored inside the trailer of G1 OP or on the car carrier of G1 Ultra Magnus (they fit nicely there)

18. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

Jazz and Barricade in particular look really nice, although it's hard to find Barricade these days. Jazz can still be easily gotten in the Bonecrusher 2-pack (or was it Brawl, can't remember). Optimus, Ironhide and Brawl also feel solid and chunky, while Ratchet and Bonecrusher are okay, but not spectacular. Not too keen on Starscream, Megatron and Jetfire, though. I also don't think that classic or G1 will have the same feel for non-transforming cars..

19. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Well, I don't.... but we all know that all the toys that will come out today or the next day and so on will be worth something.... And it feels good to have someone thats worth alot and you can brag to people about... =P

20. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I personally love these little guys. I have most of the RPM line and eagerly await some of the Speed Stars like the robot mode Sideswipe. And the track sets are sheer guilty pleasures, even if they are Hot Wheel track wannabees. But who cares? Defeating Megatron by running a car into his knee is just too awesome for words.

Yeah? Tell that to the poor guys still trying to unload Armada and 3" Titaniums.