RPM Fans: Which Characters Were Made?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tycho, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

I just got into RPMs. I haven't opened them but I saw a friend's loose BumbleBee and decided I like these.

I wanted to know if Hasbro made:

1st movie:

Megatron as a Cybertronian jet
    Starscream
    Blackout

2nd movie:

Jetfire

The Fallen
    Demolisher / Scavenger
    Scrapper
    Overload
    Hightower

I'm buying the HotWheels 2010 concept Corvette, as Mattel has the license, not Hasbro.:thumbdown 

I also bought several Matchbox "cars" that look like Scrapper and Overload.

I haven't opened anything as I may not decide upon keeping any of this stuff, but I sure felt like buying something for myself yesterday (I was gift shopping).

So what's the news on RPMs and what do you think of them anyway?

Oh - and BTW: you can buy replica aircraft on this scale to get an F-22, an SR-71, and something approximate to Blackout / Grindor.

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
  3. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

Thank you Shibamura.

Actually I found pics of the Jetfire RPM at the link you provided me. He hasn't been released though.

I might buy a Matchbox construction site playset or something like that, and perhaps a city one, and make some dioramas with these RPMs and maybe Legends if they will fit.

4. Tycho

Tycho Well-Known Member

UPDATE:

Tonight I bought the Tailwinds collection's K-52 Alligator attack hellicopter, an SR-71, and two F-22 Raptor fighters to go with my RPMs.

They're a better scale than what RPMs did for the fighter jets. Too bad their isn't a "super-RPM" Megatron, and no way to get Megatron as the first movie Cybertronian fighter in about the right scale (I don't think they had Legends back then about the time of the first movie)

Tailwinds does make a PAV-Low hellicopter (what Blackout and Grindor really were) but the Alligator looks really good and threatening in a "Decepticon sort of way." Plus, they didn't have the correct helicopter anyway and I wouldn't want it if it's in bright orange Coast Guard colors, as it very well might be. I want it to look like Blackout.

Anyway, it's Matchbox who makes some pretty cool playsets for their cars so I can get a construction site or a city street together should I want to re-create that via pre-made sets. However, I rather like making my own. That takes more time, or course.

5. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As far as Cybertronian jet Megatron there is this ornament I got at Target from 2007. He's entirely resin, and really brittle resin at that, with some wire here and there. It's broke three times, but I've managed to fix it each time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Megatron DOES have a movie 1 legends figure. In fact it's still clogging up stores over here. And it's not even that bad in his jetmode, which is primarily what you would be using it for. :) 

I've yet to run into some RPMs but I'd love to get me one of Ratchet!

7. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

Have you guys seen Sideswipe? he is completly inaccurate.

Why were Hasbro able to license the Centennial Corvette for Deluxe, Human Alliance and Bumper Battler but NOT RPM.

QUE?

8. jerky123

jerky123 PSN=deadpoolistheman

News Credits:
    Characters without RPM's as of now:

Movie 1 Megatron
    Soundwave
    Blackout/Grindor
    Arcee/Chromia/Elita-1
    Demolisher/Scavenger
    Overload
    Scrapper
    Hightower

Some can't have them because of their altmodes:

The Fallen
    The Original 7 Primes
    Frenzy
    Ravage
    Reedman
    Hot Chick (Alice's Robot Mode)
    Kitchen Bots

9. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I wanted to know if Hasbro made:

1st movie:
    Megatron as a Cybertronian jet - none yet
    Starscream - there is an rotf version, a 2-pack wth n.e.s.t. ironhide
    Blackout - none yet

2nd movie:

Jetfire - yes

The Fallen - none yet
    Demolisher / Scavenger - not sure
    Scrapper - not sure
    Overload - not sure
    Hightower - not sure

I'm buying the HotWheels 2010 concept Corvette, as Mattel has the license, not Hasbro.:thumbdown 

- I also got this, lots better than the rpms version, more accurate and very nice paintjob

I also bought several Matchbox "cars" that look like Scrapper and Overload.

You might also want to get these Hotwheels and Matchbox cars:

Hotwheels Modern Classics Camaro Concept Spectraflame yellow (BB)
    [​IMG]

Matchbox Pontiac Solstice Concept silver (Jazz)
    [​IMG]

Matchbox Audi R8 silver (Sideways)
    [​IMG]

There's also a Tomica Suzuki Swift Sport yellow, a mini version of the Alternity BB altmode.

So what's the news on RPMs and what do you think of them anyway?

I used to be excited about getting the RPMs, but it has been a long time since there have been new ones in our country.

I also think that RPMs are rather expensive, a case in point, the aforementioned Hotwheels Stingray Concept, which is lots better than the RPMs Sideswipe.

10. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

Yeah, RPM Sideswipe is simply NOT the Stingray Concept, and for a moment I was wondering if it was a licensing issue. But that'd make no sense, seeing how Deluxe & HA Sideswipe are the correct car, and there's also the fact that there's RPMs of all 3 of Bumblebee's Camaro models, including the one that's available in silver (and orange) from Mattel. So, does anyone know exactly why RPM Sideswipe isn't the Stingray Concept?

As for RPMs in general, I like them, but they ARE overpriced. I like how the bodies are molded in color & then painted that color, but $4 each is easily $2 too much. The Walmart 2-packs are a little less painful, and I've collected Optimus, Bumblebee (all 3 versions,) Ironhide, Barricade, Long Haul & Sideways. Considering Jolt & Mixmaster, and even Sideswipe since I kinda like whatever car body he actually has. That said, the Hot Wheels '09 Stingray Concept is eight kinds of awesome.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    My guess, Mattel or Matchbox has the rights to produce die-cast vehicles of those models in that scale. That's why with Hasbro they have to be inaccurate or non-metal/transformable. (legends)

12. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

Like someone already mentioned, Maisto's Tailwinds line SR-71 is probably the most accurate & well-made version you can get for under $10. BUT... only one company (that I know of) makes an ACTUAL F-22 Raptor in that scale, and that's Unimax. Their Skyward X Macho Machines sub-line of the Forces Of Valor line is still available at Target (may be exclusive) and is currently discounted to $2.99 each.

I did say ACTUAL F-22, and by that I mean all other small scale diecast versions (even the Maisto Tailwinds one) are actually the prototype YF-22 & there are several differences between the two. HERE'S a good pic comparing the two, the Raptor that Starscream's modeled after is on the right.

As for the toy itself, I cannot recommend it highly enough. It does just about everything right in a small diecast plane. The upper body & wings are diecast (with excellent panel lines & paint,) the underside is matching grey plastic, so there's very few places where paint can scrape away. But the GENIUS part is that the tailfins are made out of grey PVC & will not break off. This in itself makes the plane worth owning. Finally, the plane is held together by two phillips head screws, making for easy removal of the landing gear if you decide to. I bought two & removed the wheels from one.

And HERE'S a forum post with excellent pictures of the planes & tanks available at Target. The F-16 & F-117 are also exceptionally well-made.