RPG?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dio Forever, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Dio Forever

Dio Forever Active Member

Anybody ever hear about a Transformers pen and paper RPG? Im a lifelong rpg gamer, and always wanted a transformers game. I tried making my own using a modified version of the old Marvel Super Heroes game but time constraints put a squash on that.

Also, how great would a Transformers rpg video game be? Something with a lot of character development and story along the lines of KOTOR, Mass Effect, Oblivion, etc.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    A Transformers RPG video game that would be totally awesome would be either as you say, cast from the Fallout 3 / Oblivion mold, where you create your own freshly protoformed Transformer who then has the relative freedom to join a faction and so on.

The other alternative would be a tactical RPG in the style of Super Robot Wars. Like the G1 Awakening cell phone game, but with more depth as could be afforded by not being a cell phone game.

3. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

What Sol Fury suggested is pretty good. : D

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Yes what Sol Fury said!

5. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I think a Transformers tabletop RPG would be cool, especially if it used the Robot Heroes line. As for video games, I think the genre that would be most suited for the francise would be an MMORPG.

6. Ayleron

Ayleron Autobot Vanguard

I think Sol Fury really nailed what we would like to see in a video game rpg. A cheap quick and dirty way to do it would also be to poor it into the Phantasy Star Online games mold. Active combat, online and offline story modes, minor character alteration- more robust than WFC but not as much as everyone dreams.

As far as tabletops goes I have played more systems than I can remember all of their names and I have run a Transformers game using 2 different systems so far. The first time was the "Rifts" system. My buddy basically ran the rules while I ran the story becuase to this day I still have a hard time figuring out how the rules are supposed to work. Everyone in rifts ended up adding missile launchers to their character because of how well the work in the system, which was interesting. The second time I ran the game using the mutants and masterminds system. It worked really well with the exception of everyone being a triplechanger. I am not surprised I would prefer to play a triplechanger, and my "fan character" is in fact a triplechanger. If I go back to running with that system I would create a larger character creation point cost for triplechanging than what the superhero rules are. Both games worked really well. The Rifts one was very War for Cybertron in its flavor and story developement. The Mutants and Masterminds game on the other hand was based in and reminiscent of the Animated Universe. I am currently working on creating a rule set from Eden studios Unisystem that I am pretty excited about, but we will see how it works in action before passing judgement. Micromasters and minicons make great minis for a 1 inch square map.

7. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The fact that we don't have a Transformersclix (ala Heroclix) game is a crime.

Well, we sort of had Attacktix, but that was kinda lame :lol .

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I have long wanted a Transformers video game that wasn't just running and jumping and shooting.

An RPG would fit this bill perfectly for me and I would love to see one made.

9. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I had the exact same thought while playing Fallout 3.
    You start off as a protoform just coming online, and maybe have characters like Ratchet and Perceptor, who'd be there to sort of guide you through an opening tutorial where you create your character class.
    It'd start you off on Cybertron as a new autobot recruit, and then move you to earth in the next chapter, where you'll hit a point that you can either continue on being the hero, or join the Decepticons. Or maybe even just drive around doing side quests.

Yeah, that'd personally be my dream Transformers game...Maybe someday.

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    User name Alucard, way back before RiD came out, tried to sell a TF RPG concept to Wizards of the Coast that was based on tech specs. I did some beta-testing for him and it was a very good basic system. You could either create your own character or play as any existing character that has a complete set of tech specs. All you needed was a 10 sided die, some paper (and writing device), and tech specs to play.

There were special powers, aspects like Rank came into play in some clever ways, and due to the way damage worked, it was pretty hard to get killed off for reals. (KO'd wasn't so hard, but actual real death was pretty hard.)

It was a good system, I really enjoyed testing it. I've still got the basic rules, but since I agreed to non-disclosure, I don't know what his status is on the project.

11. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

There is no pen-and-paper TF RPG.

I know, I usually run for my RL group and would love to run a "Transformers as space opera" game sometime.

I'm still thinking GURPS might be best. You can design anything using GURPS. It's ultra-customizable.

I would just hate building hordes of NPCs for it.

- Coeloptera

12. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tf rts ftw.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
  14. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

I bought that book for the sole purpose of doing a TF based one-off game for my frineds... it's not too bad, looks like it was made by real fans as they tried to legitimitly include damn near every aspect... If I can find it, I should take another look at it...