Rotten tomatoes

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hines1986, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hines1986

Hines1986 Active Member

News Credits:
    Dotm got a fresh 64 percent rating on rotten tomatoes 11 reviews so far 7 fresh 4 rotten what do u think bros?

2. GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok Well-Known Member

I hope it stays above 60% so it can be certified fresh.

3. doworkson123

doworkson123 Well-Known Member

at one point it was 63, then went up to 67.

4. Sonicpower451

Sonicpower451 Well-Known Member

It does seem like Bay really kept his promise in making a better Transformers. Btw, how does the scroes compare to the first's?

5. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Pretty much the same [the first was around 63/35%]

I tell you, even if Michael Bay make the Citzen Kane of the Transformers stories, critics will still give a "Cool Story bro" reception AT MOST.

6. Hines1986

Hines1986 Active Member

News Credits:
    Yea I sure hope it stays fresh too

7. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Rotten Tomatoes? Please, I'll wait until the more reputable places put out reviews, but I'll still see the movie anyways because critics have no effect on my wanting to see a movie. RT is just a site trolls go to feel like movie critics. Sort of like people going to Wikipedia to feel like authors.

8. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Why so Geewun, Loser?

Please let it stay above 60%!!

9. ae_productions

ae_productions G1 Fan

Yeah. And even many of the "positive" remarks are negative.

"The look of the movie is worth five stars, but when you stir in a one-star script, you end up somewhere in the middle."

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon may not be a great film..."

"These Transformer movies are nonsense..."

And those are the positive remarks.

Looks like Bay gave us yet another shitty film.

10. brains

brains Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't bother. People are too blind to these facts. Although looking over previous Bay movies on RT, the highest score one of this movies has ever gotten is 67%, that was The Rock - his first movie. The next best is actually Transformers at 57% but most of the rest are 40-20%.

11. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I'm sure the movie will be fine, they're just not reviewing it as what it's meant to be. An ACTION film. When I go to see an action film, I don't care about plot. Revenge of the Fallen was reviewed badly because of its bad plot, but when it came to great action sequences, nobody can doubt it delivered. It was marketed as a summer action movie, not another "The Notebook," and critics forget about that when they review things.

12. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

I feel ya. I see movies on there that I love and don't see no problems with, at it's rotten, but then I'll watch one of the fresh movies, like in the 95 range, and I'm like, WTF????? Are these people serious, this ain't no damn movie, I don't know what it is, but if I have to keep fidgeting in my chair, yawning, checking my watch, it failed all over as a movie. Worst POS that I have seen, Lost in Translation is the number one garbage film. That is the worst ever!!!!

13. anikenvader

anikenvader Stuff & Things

News Credits:
    The only thing that worried me from these reviews were the statements about "lacklustre" and "no heart" and the number one gripe was "no character development." :/ those are the things that worry me because those were some of my gripes with rotf. aw well i suppose, ill be watching it soon enough, right? well....i hope theyre wrong about character development.

14. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

I find the character development a lame excuse for not liking a movie. What else do you need to know about the characteristics of the characters in ROTF that you already didn't know????? What exactly is a really good movie with character development. See, I think this gets thrown into the bin where if you don't like the movie, it's because you didn't understand it.

15. Tekfreak

Tekfreak Well-Known Member

at least im reading now that u care about the bots and they deliver good performances...for robots.

that being said i recall the 1st TF at 80% with the 1st few reviews that it slowly dwindled down tot he 55 or 57% its at now

16. Hines1986

Hines1986 Active Member

News Credits:
    Let's all just hope it stays fresh

17. anikenvader

anikenvader Stuff & Things

News Credits:
    um, sideswipe? arcee? MOST decepticons? fucking jolt didnt even talk. wit hthe movie intitled "transformers" i want to get to know, the TRANSFORMERS. so, yes. it does bug me when they are only in the background.

18. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mean to be a dick here, but...

A film's quality is what it is. There isn't any sure fire measurement of what that can be. Critics are there to get a barometer, a variety of opinions that discern whether something lives up to a given person's standard of quality. All sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic do is assign a given value to those opinions. Critics aren't, "Wrong", or "Right", or anything in between. They're giving their opinion based on their experience in the industry, and experience as a moviegoer.

I wouldn't say that someone who hasn't been well versed in what is widely considered great filmmaking to be a lesser person, but a person with such education might have a different experience in looking at the quality of a film that someone with a more robust palate may have. Such as a critic.

In terms of these movies being nonsense, they kind of are in all seriousness. They can be fun, but from an artistic perspective, these things are extremely well crafted time wasters that don't really offer much more artistic depth than what it took to create them. You aren't going to find much symbolism, thematic worth and sharply written characters in a Transformers movie, and for better or worse that's just how it is. But you are going to find tons of skill in the craft, which is where Michael Bay is at his best. Creating spectacles that would be impossible to match if they were in the hands of a lesser director. At the same time though, all the spectacles are are spectacles. They don't really, mean anything. They just are.

The thing to understand is that brainless spectacle is perfectly fine. There's a place for it.

I guess I'm just baffled that because someone has a different opinion than you, you have the right to attempt to discredit them, simply because you don't understand, or care for that matter what they're trying to say.

19. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Bay deals in popcorn movies, so he'll never approach the level you ascribe here. There's nothing wrong with popcorn movies, of course, but you are comparing two incomparables.

Why are people so upset this movie is getting bad reviews?? Why would you expect the third time to be any different? If you enjoy these movies, then that should be enough for you. Bay and the producers know their target audience well. You are not going to see critical acclaim for this particular director or his movies. That's not the type of film he makes, nor is it the type of film the producers wanted. Bay was hired for the job because of his high octane approach and his familiarity with FX-heavy movies, IIRC. Few can match him in this regard.

Go enjoy the movie!

20. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

That wasn't my point, at all [thus the "EVEN IF", indicating it's not likely].
    My point is that the movie will always have a "meh" reception at most no matter what Bay does.

And besides? The first movie is one of my favorite pieces of Transformers media, to me, what I said is not that much of a stretch.