ROTTEN TOMATOES: Exclusive: Latest on Transformers 3 with Lorenzo di Bonaventura

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TM2 D-bot, Jul 22, 2009.

1. VestigialHeart1

VestigialHeart1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mini-cons are awesome toys. They're fun to play with and pose. Story-wise they're garbage. How much sense could it possibly make to have scaled-down versions of transformers in a sequel?

As far as Unicron goes, why couldn't they use him? First off why is he complaining about Unicron not being able to emote? I've yet to see any depth of emotion on either side of the battle in both movies. Unicron doesn't even need to have emotions. The only thing that he needs to portray is a base, logical, balancing force of evil. The only reason they shouldn't want to use Unicron is because they used the 'uber-powerfull tiny object plot device' twice already.

I personally think that they shouldn't introduce any new characters and should focus on developing the surviving characters and trying to salvage what shallow depth of a cannon as they have left. That and I want a fair and even battle scene between both forces; no humans, no magical devices, just one long robot on robot brawl. THAT'S how you get emotion into the film. They need to extrapolate on the great war angle and not the 'Sam' angle.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Interesting read. Glad to see that Mr. Bonaventura is afraid of putting Unicron in Transformers 3, because I 100% agree with him about the size of Unicron and all. But I'm not quite too fond of Mini-Cons, especially if they're going to be anything like what they were in the Unicron Trilogy.

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Primus! No Unicron! Some human-sized Micromasters would be fun, but not the Minicons, we already have Movie Wheelie.

4. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I can see the movie now....

Sam: "Look it's Unicron!"

Unicron: "GRRRR"

*US Navy boat with ultra powerful rail gun* BAM!

Unicron: "You killed me!"

Sam: "Well that was easy"

THE END

5. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Yeah, Unicron dwarfs too many characters, but how many places could they go with TF3, now that the Fallen, a fierce antagonist, is dead? Quintessons? Galvatron?

6. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Sacrificing the human characters you say? Interesting...

I don't understand these arguments.

Too big to be realistic?Dosnt anyone have an imagination anymore?I'm not saying Unicron should be in the movie,i'm just astounded at peoples unwillingness to think on a grander scale than what theyr accustomed to.

Noone could imagine transforming car robots untill the movie either.

Also,the idea that Unicron's size makes him impersonal seems kinda weak.If your a good artist you can make it work,you can change peoples ideas about such things.

Rise to the challenge dammit.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Meh, the whole 'realistic' angle was promptly thrown out the window as soon as Sam died, went to TF Heaven, got resurrected, and then saved Prime with a Matrix that magically reformed itself after crumbling to dust. That was the definitive point of no return as far as the audiences who I shared space with were concerned. They could see passed the inane Twins, the fact that there was a giant machine hiding under the pyramids that archeologists conveniently missed all these years, the whole cliche evil master & apprentice schtick of The Fallen & Megatron, the fact that Sam & co. found exactly what they were looking for almost instantly thanks to a little bump in the wall, and countless other "you have got to be f*cking kidding me" moments & scenarios... but TF Heaven was the breaking point that transitioned TF from a somewhat believable or quasi probable 'real world' movie about alien robots disguised as vehicles to pure comic book sci-fi nonsense. Bay, his writers, his producers, etc. all got caught in the very trap they tried to avoid by doing this, so now they could really do whatever they want with TF3 and it won't make a difference in terms of so-called realism.

8. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Why is it I just don't mind the idea of Quintessons potentially being in this series? I mean, they don't seem to be high on many TransFan's lists by my own experience. Marketing wise, you'd really have to go for TRANSFORMING merchandise and that's not what they do. For some reason though I think they could really be essential. Galvatron, maybe at a later date but you would have to put Unicron in for that switch up because it just wouldn't add up as well otherwise. Minicons are a hard sell at this point because of all the nutjob little bots brought to life by the All-Spark/All Spark fragments. A fan of this franchise alone would probably wonder what's the difference? Civility?

I would love a double agent type like Sideways (Armada) who is a manipulator with no favoritism towards either faction.In fact, I'd actually like it if they did use incarnations from other realms of the TF Universe. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ABOUT G1 INSPIRATIONS ALL THE TIME BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE WON'T LET IT GO. I wouldn't mind an inexperienced Autobot like Hot Shot, a Decepticon behemoth like Tidal Wave, a vain, red car loving nut like Sideburn (I see no sense in his Japanese name), a 3 faced mental patient like Animated Blitzwing, or follow up the movie franchise's love of the Decepticon helicopter and make one from Armada/Energon Cyclonus with some life in him. All these guys in live action or ones like them I think would make for an increase in the fandom and maybe some leniency from the critics.

9. Divers2001

Divers2001 Active Member

nice little interview...Lorenzo is definitely on it.

Furthermore, as much as some would argue against it,
    I would definitely like to see Bay back in the saddle at least once more.

10. keeknuts

keeknuts New Member

What I would like to see

I think the idea of the governement stealing some of the cybertronian technology and utilizing to their advantage in the forms of headmasters and targetmasters would be cool, we already have a pretender. Or just in general headmasters and targetmasters.

11. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

I don't think I want to see Unicron in any of the movies, since he'd look very weird. But the Mini-Cons are perfect! I mean, Wheelie could technically be considered one, since he's so tiny.

12. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    Here's what worries me; that he actually thinks people liked the movie based on the money that it made. I know there are a lot of people that did, but reading the boards you can tell there's those that just saw the movie because it was transformers not necesarily because it was great. Basically my thing is he doesn't get popularity does not equal quality.

13. Triceradon

Triceradon Sunbow Delenda Est

Mini-Cons wouldn't bother me, so long as we don't have miniature trucks, cars, fighter jets, etc. Make them like Wheelie, IE, at a reasonable scale.

No Unicron, though. Save that for a later movie, if they ever go past movie 3.

14. Easy-E

Easy-E Active Member

Really MiniCons?? What a hack.
    A major producer of this movie wants to insert MiniCons into the next flick? What a waste.
    There still a whole roster of cool Transformers that haven't been used. WTF?

Call me a geewiner or whatever but I'm glad to state that I don't even know what the hell a MiniCon is.

15. Triceradon

Triceradon Sunbow Delenda Est

If you don't know what a MiniCon is, then how can you say it would be a waste?

16. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Interesting interview.

I agree about leaving Unicron out for now, considering what happened to Galactus and the potential for TF3 to screw Unicron up.

I also think Minicons should not be involved, either. Love the toys, but really dislike the fiction. Especially how they are the most-sought-after people in the universe until the Autobots learn to combine with each other and the Decepticons develop "hyper" modes. Then both factions trash all those new skills for shiny discs that Primus hid across the universe like some Cybertronian Easter egg hunt (until they both learn to combine again). Meanwhile, the Minicons are regulated to comic relief/baby-sitters.

My current dream story would be introducing Headmasters/Targetmasters, with HM Scorponok as the big-bad, but using the Japanese name for him: Mega Zarak. Hell, even Black Zarak would work. I especially like the whole human-created angle that others have already mentioned. Because Autobots would look at it as cruelty (even with volunteers) while the Decepticons would consider it a personal insult having to rely on humans for anything.

Failing that, why not continue the combiner trend? Make the Decepticons improve the combiner technology so Devy is an actual threat that can take on multiple enemies at once (and survive/defend against rail gun hits). He could even be green this time around and scaled-down somewhat. Meanwhile, have the Autobots come up with their own combiner based on the reports of Devastator from Skids, Mudflap, Simmons and Leo, such as the Aerialbots. Or, instead of a combiner war, have the Autobots create the Dinobots based off old Godzilla clips on YouTube as a defense against Devastator.

17. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Personally, i think TF3 could be an opportunity to pull together and further explore some of the big mysteries and ideas that arose from movies 1 & 2: delve into the Cybertronian mystery of the Allspark further and the sketchy history of the Primes, and create a story that arises from the transformers' largely unkown past that will have some impact on their future (the Cybertronian race's survival and the fate of Earth that is now involved in the Autobot-Decepticon war).

I'm not too keen on the idea of mini-cons either. I can definitely see more problems with lack of characterization for lots of smaller bots running around, plus the possibility of the little bots being just plain annoying. I'd rather they have ILM animate larger Autobot and Decepticon armies for a big battle.

Unicron i don't support or reject the idea of. He could be handled right as an apocalyptic force, but there's also a great degree of risk in not utlizing him well. They'd have to be careful with him if they were to use him in TF3; he could either turn out to be a brilliant or a very bad concept.

18. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    A problem is that there really aren't any villains out there that outrank the Fallen EXCEPT for Unicron. That really limits the possibilities for escalation unless they make up some new uber-baddie just for the movie, and I'm sure fans would be predetermined to hate that.

19. pretender

pretender New Member

bring GRIMLOCK & CO. in!!

20. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

I don't want Unicron, and I don't want Armada style minicons. A/E/C was, like everyone else has pointed out, one big easter egg hunt.

While on the idea, as much as I like G1...I don't want Targetmasters or Headmasters either.

Quoted for truth and agreement (with the exception of the Headmaster/Targetmaster idea). I like the combiner idea.