Customs: ROTM/DOTM Leader Optimus: Lower leg pin?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MonkeyBusiness, Dec 13, 2011.

1. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

So, I'm finally tackling Leader Prime. I have him all disassembled, except for the lower legs. There is a pin that holds the inner piece in place, but the back piece covers it up.

How have people been removing this to paint the figure?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't bother... It'll just make your head hurt... Just use a lot of tape between colors.

3. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

I actually figured out a way to do this after I posted it!

Here's the problem: the way the leg is constructed, the pin that holds the inside armor panel in place was inserted last, and there's no way to remove it from the leg. To disassemble the leg, you have to get to that screw underneath the panel.

So, how do you remove a pin you can't reach?

The answer is in the back armor panel.

See, the top of the panel is held in place by two small plastic pins, accessible just below the back of the knee. What you need to do is use an xacto knife to get inbetween the back panel and the leg on the side of the opening, and cut the two pins. It works best if you pull the panel out at the bottom first.

Once you've cut the pins on both sides, you should be able to pull the top of the panel out of the slot and move it far enough left or right to access the pin. Use a finishing nail or whatever to pop it out, then remove the inside armor panel, and there's the last screw.

Now, the next question is, how do you put it back together? Easy. One side of the leg is solid plastic. Drill out the area the pin used to be, and put another of appropriate size in it's place. Can't find one of appropriate size? Use a finishing nail.

Let me know if you guys have found a better way to do it, but I think this should work. I'll post pictures tonight.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a question. What's underneath that panel? :D , is it details, or just smooth plastic?