Minor/Repaint: ROTG1 Tracks

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Autobot Spike, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Autobot Spike

Autobot Spike Original Gangstabot

Hey all! This is the first attempt of mine to produce a custom repaint/minor modification which i felt was worthy of presenting to you, the oh-so-special TFW2005 community. Now, upon closer examination i have noticed that there are still some things i want to improve, but hell if i don't post it now, i never will...

So here he is! ROTG1 (Revenge of the Generation 1) Tracks!
    Name: Tracks
    Faction: Autobot
    Function: Looking Good
    Motto: "If Vanity is a Crutch, Then I'm a Parapalegic."

I chose the name ROTG1, because of the treatment to the character. Idecided to use the original G1 stickers and colouring for his presentation, and even made a few modifications to the head to make him closer to G1 Tracks (whom i have shown here for comparison). Thanks to Reprolabels, i was able to not only clean up my war-torn Tracks figure, but also properly present his Radicons incarnation.

Tracks is the first in what i hope will be a long run of ROTG1 customs (already working on the next one!!!) so let me know what you all think!!!

All criticism welcome (but play nice! i'm sensitive!)
    -A.S.

Attached Files:

2. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

Wow, that looks nice! Though, I must ask, did you hand paint him?
    Anyway, Nice job, Spike! :thumbs2: 

3. Magmatron22

Magmatron22 HADOUKEN!!!

oooohh preaty. this is one of the best sideswipt to tracks customs I have ever seen

4. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

I really don't like ROTF figures, but I would totally buy this if mass-produced. The white door panels work extremely well for the wings and swords, and Sideswipe makes an excellent Tracks when done right, as you have done.

Are those reprolabels simply G1 labels slapped on the toy, or do they have a set for Sideswipe? I didn't see it on the site, but the stickers look really good!

5. Autobot Spike

Yes. he is hand painted, and i admit it's not something i'm great at... i AM, however, really good at airbrushing, as it turns out. since i've just gotten myself a new airbrush (and tested it already on some custom work i'm doing) my next presentations will have a more polished look to them.

ya... that was my only personal complaint about this custom.. the obvious hand-painted appearance.. still, i think it turned out alright, and thanks for the praise! more to come!!

-A.S.

6. Autobot Spike

thank you! thank you! i really went for something special with him and i'm glad you like it!

Actually, those are nothing more than the original G1 Tracks labels. i just came up with clever ways to apply them. as for the wing decals, i actually used the original labels, and extended the details out using sharpies! it was a perfect match!

and that, of course, is the angle i am going for with my ROTG1 customs. i'm using new molds and bringing out their inner Gee-Wun.. heheh

glad you like it!!!

-A.S.

7. The Wombat King

The Wombat King Ruler of a distant land

Ebay:
    Tracks would have been such the better choice in the movie. This looks great. I keep wanting to dothis to mine as well. :) 

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

schaweet sweet

9. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    The color scheme works pretty well in car mode with his 'swords' painted.

My biggest crit is that the brushstrokes are so noticeably visible. Maybe the paint is too thick? I suggest painting in multiple thin coats next time. Some wetsanding in between coats would help a lot too. :) 

10. Autobot Spike

you really hit on my own criticism here too.. i have never been good at hand-painting.... but i learned a lot working on this guy so i have no regrets. thanks for the ideas, btw on the thin layers, and i only learned about wet sanding after i had already pretty well finished him.

thanks for the praise on the color scheme. i really liked the white and how it stands out from the otherwise ALL blue car.

-A.S.

11. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

this is awesome man! you were well prepared for this custom. :D 

12. Autobot Spike

Thank you, sir! i am most appreciative for all your help in setting up this thread.

also glad u like it. i have already started on my next custom. parts are stripped, masked, sanded and ready for paint and molding!

-A.S.

13. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

glad to hear it! good tip is to always be patient, and when you paint, do it in several thin layers. :D  lest you make the mistakes i committed early on. :) 

14. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

That's....pretty wicked actually. I may need to nab a 'swipe spare to try it out myself. I like how you got the blades as car mode wings.

15. Autobot Spike

Ya... i'm going to be airbrushing from now on. it's something i'm better at, and i can really get a nice even coat with it. i had already started on the paint before my opportunity to get an airbrush kit came up, so i had to make do... but he's okay. my big problem was that somehow the paint kept getting mixed with impurities like some white paint.... it was weird but in the end the color i ended up with was so much better than where i started.... brush strokes aside, i really like how he turned out, and he is a blast to pose next to my other bots...

thanks! there's actually a couple of ways to do it too.. i just chose the one i liked the best. have fun with your own! it's an easy bit of modification, and his parts are easy to paint because they are almost all big panels which move out of the way of his robot-y bits.

best of luck!!

-A.S.

16. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice! Can't wait to see the next one.

17. ladimus prime

ladimus prime Well-Known Member

theres been alot of these recently but this on stands above the rest

18. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    You may not be satisfied with the handpainting yourself, but you sure did succeed artistically. Also, the labels work surprisingly well ; I guess that is what sets it apart from other mods ; this one feels like an actual G1 styled toy.

19. Autobot Spike

THANKS!!! working on it as much as i can. have some fun mods i'm doing to this one too, so hopefully i can crank it out soon so you all can see the finished product!

I can't tell you how much i appreciate your comment. i was hoping to acheive such a thing, and so far i am greatly inspired by the support of people here to keep at it!

well, i DO like the overall artistic representation, and i see that you do too. thanks kindly. the labels were a concious choice from the beginning. i am attempting to bring out the Inner G1 of movie bots, and i already have ideas for some more (thinking really hard about what i could do with a ROTF/2007 Barricade, for example)

i love G1 so much, but really think the aesthetic of this movie line is full of untapped potential. thank you so much for your assessment, and encouragement, and i hope to bring you all more of the same fun atmosphere i've brought to ROTG1 Tracks!

-A.S.

20. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this is awesome! would so buy this if they made one exactly like this.

Great work!