ROTF's Megatron design - some flaws

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jul 19, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    A lot of people like Megatron's flying tank mode in ROTF, thinking it the best one he's had so far. And I can see why: he looks much more like a Decepticon boss who can stand against Optimus Prime, he's more monstrous (the more so considering it's a kitbash from "ze little one" and possibly Brawl), and most of all he's a FLYING TANK, a vehicle of war vastly superior to the flying jet he originally possessed in the first film.

However, I see two things wrong with the design that put me off:

- His feet are the tank treads. Classically the tank treads on a Transformer would be vertically aligned on the feet (eg as in this image: http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/attach/4/0/5/9/7/Blitzwing_02_1270853450.jpg), but in this case Megatron's got them on his feet like sandals. Great in theory - in practice he looks like he's stomping around in skis. It's almost comical, it just doesn't seem to fit him.

- His arms. I kept my eye on his transformations in ROTF and I still have no clue where his arms go in tank mode, and why they're so spindly and then one arm can pop out not just a cannon but a pincer claw. I'm sure that the VFXperts had to do a bit of "cheating" in order to make the transformations work, but why couldn't they give each weapon to each hand on Megatron? Also if his arms appear to be part of the tank turret, then why does it go on his back, or does it form his shoulder blades or something?

If it wasn't for these design flaws, I would rate Megatron's tank mode as my favourite. As it is, his toys make it look much more badass than it appeared in the film:
    http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/2/2d/ROTF_Voyager_Megatron_toy.jpg
    http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/0/07/ROTF_UniteforUniverse_Megatron_toy.jpg

I hope perhaps that someone can explain to me his tank mode and the way it all works together.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Does having one little stick arm and one big beefy arm count as a flaw? I hear Megatron got one beefy arm and one baby arm and they call the bot Biggy Smalls.

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like how his head has bigger cheek spikes, makes him look like he's wearing the classic helmet a little.

That's pretty much it really, the crab claw was cool in concept art but in the movie it looks like it's just a sword attached to a cannon arm or something I was hoping for actualy crab-claw thing likes snap snap crab attack.

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Megatron's tank treads aren't just on his feet. The treads are basically his entire foot, and they also weave and work their way into his calf and upper leg if you look closely. Personally, I think stomping around with spiked tank treads with feet is perfectly Megatron. I mean, the guy would cause death and destruction by walking.

I have no clue where his arms go either. :lol  But it's not up to the visual effects artists to give Megatron weapons on both of his hands. That's not their decision to make. It's Bay's and the robot character designer(s)' decision. Maybe Scott Farrar might have a bit of say in that decision, merely because he'd be in charge of the visual effects. If Bay doesn't want weapons on both Megatron's arms, then he won't have them. And the visual effects team is in no place to go against the director's decision, unless it inhibits them and their work.

What you're stating aren't really "flaws", moreso things that you personally didn't care about his design. :) 

5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Thanks for the explanation Tyler :) .

But I DID provide images of an improved design of ROTF Megatron, that took care of the flaws I mentioned. But those toys appear to be improvements on the Josh Nizzi design, made sometime after the design was finalized.

"Personally, I think stomping around with spiked tank treads with feet is perfectly Megatron." Definitely, I just didn't think the treads were well placed. But that's just my opinion.

6. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

Flaws or not, it still looks like the most intimidating Megatron on screen. He's got some thickness to him and looks like he can kick some bot. The only thing I didn't like about the tank mode is that it's a tank, that can all of the sudden sprout some wings and, look it flies. Seemed sort of last minute on the design end. There should have been more transformation from tank to flying apparatus me thinks.

7. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

+1 for Chappelle Show references.

+1 more for "Player Hater's Ball" references!

8. FeelingLuckyPnk

FeelingLuckyPnk Decepticon Punks!

bwahahaha

[​IMG]

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    What are you on about with the treads? The treads form the exact same shape his feet are always. They're verticle that splay out slightly to make toes. Not anything like skis.

10. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    The whole design is a flaw IMO.

11. Driskull98

Driskull98 DADDY WAS A FALL DOWN MAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    He arm wrestles with the Charger.

[​IMG]

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    MMm! I wish was Devcon... so I could give ROTF Megatron four thumbs down! Aaahahahah! The metal's rusted! Ahahaha! It's a celebration!

13. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I think people are letting the Leader Class's spaghetti arm cloud their memories on the size relation between his giant gun arm and his normal one.
    [​IMG]

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Yeah, ROTF Megs doesn't have a noodle arm. And when his cannon's stored both arms are the same size.

15. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Mmmm, glorious high-definition picture. Dat murder arm :D 

16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  17. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

Your attempt at dissing and trolling is not appreciated.

Anyway, they give him more traction, especially with the spikes, not less. He looks more like he's wearing high heels than skis. Still, I preferred the more detailed feet from TF1 and TF3.

18. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I think "ski boots", "giant clodhopper feet" or "giant construction shoes" might be more apt. Because those feet do not resemble skis at all.

[​IMG]

Extremely long, slender, flat skis do not resemble giant, massive, spiked tread-feet-of-death. There's no denying that his feet/legs are quite large and bulky, but they really don't resemble skis.

19. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    It isn't trolling if that's how I feel about it. Whether or not you take offense to my opinion is your own business.

20. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

The way you put it wasn't exactly the best way to do so. Anyway, let's stop right here so this doesn't become a flame war.

Seriously though, not skis. High heels.

Anyone else with me on this one? Look at all the shots showing the side of his feet.