RotF's Crappiness Doesn't Affect Potential TF3 Audience

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Poho, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Transformers: The Dark of the Moon Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

Out of around 28,000 people who have voted, 27,000 of them want to see Transformers 3. It's nice to see that despite RotF's awful critical reception, and the general consensus that it was a disappointment (albeit in different ways for different people) and not as good as the first one, it hasn't dampened the spirits of movie goers, who are clearly still gung-ho for more robots!

Also run on sentences.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I think it's carved itself out quite a nice little niche, where else can you see giant fucking robots? :eek: 

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Quite.

It's not like there has been a slew of other movies about giant transforming alien robots since 2007.

IMO Iron Man 1 & 2 is the closest thing we've got but even that is really not the same thing at all.

4. Poho

News Credits:
    It's true. There really is nothing quite like Bay's Transformers. There's something about seeing those bots beat each other to pieces that just gets my blood flowing like nothing else.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Surprisingly, more people know about the writer's strike's effect on the sequel, than I thought (especially because some of these people I've spoken to aren't Transformer fans). So they are curious about what a sequel (minus writer strike) might look like.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm not sure how much I'd read into that.

Other movies attempting to come back from a panned film also pull in the same numbers like Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides pulling in 98% Pirates 4 or Spiderman 4 getting 94% Spiderman 4.

Even a film we know little about like Cowboys and Aliens is pulling in 96% Cowboys and Aliens.

My guess is that people looking it up right now are the people who are excited about the film enough to look it up and vote on something like Rotten Tomatoes. Not really what you'd call a good random sample of people.

The real test is how will people feel in the summer. Looks like a flood of big action films for summer 2011 so how many action films is too many? How much fuel is left in the tank since all franchises burn out at some point? Or how many people will even remember Revenge of the Fallen when they have seen so many action films since then? Heck maybe in throw in the 4th of July factor since that let films like Hancock make money.

7. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I can see this movie being the best one yet... Just got that feeling... :) 

8. rich_prime

rich_prime Banned

News Credits:
    Well I enjoy the first two Im going to enjoy this one too, me my brothers love these films and because of these films my brothers enjoy transformers hell they even stated collecting the movie toys.

No stupid critics are going to stop me from watching these, rotten tomato can kiss my ass it is the wrost critics site ever

Can't wait to start collecting the movie toys especially SHOCKWAVE:drool: :drool: :drool: 

9. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    We know that it's called "Cowboys and Aliens" and that's more than enough to get psyched up about.

10. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Seeing as how ROTF's crappiness didn't affect its own audience, I'm guessing it's not going to affect the DOTM audience either.

11. Poho

News Credits:
    the point. you have missed it. rotten tomatoes is only as "bad" as the hundreds and hundreds of critics it quotes (none of whom "work" for the site).

but yeah, i loved the first two, and i know i'll love DotM. i'm just saying it's nice to see that despite a lot of hatin' on #2, it looks like #3 is still going to draw a big audience

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  12. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Very true. Now, I don't want to start a whole "$ =/= quality" argument, but I'm always (happily) surprised when I think that such a critically panned movie can make so much money. :)  (I'd hate to see Transformers fail too much.) ;) 

And you know, the worst case scenario is that Transformers: Dark of the Moon will do "horribly" at the box office with only $650 million worldwide. I mean, seriously, what a flop, right? </sarcasm> But seriously, it'll make a ton of money. But it is nice to see some hype/excitement for the third movie. Makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

And as whoever else said previously, these are really the only movies to provide this specific kind of visual awesomeness with robots. :bay  The only things that come close are Favreau's Iron Man films, which are equally and similarly awesome, yet different enough to set them apart.
    Now I want an Iron Man/Transformers live-action crossover! :D 

-Tyler

13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    This is good news, and yes despite the writers strike ROTF did pull in some great moments. Realistically speaking, lately it hasn't been easy for Bay & Co.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    + a zillion.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I know there are some fans out there who love to bash Rotten Tomatoes because how dare those mean old critics not gush praise on every movie that has a fan base.

But I find the site really useful. I can't find a critic that I agree with on every film so having so many gives me a good general idea of what sort of quality I can expect out of the film. I also like smaller films or films made outside of Hollywood and it's great at digging up those smaller films and letting me add those films to my Netflix que right from the Rotten Tomatoes site.

16. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I second that.

17. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

What about Transmorphers? and Transmorphers 2: Fall of Man. :lol 

I didn't care too much for ROTF but I'd be lying to myself & the lot of you if I said that would thwart me in any way from seeing TF3.