ROTF

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by StacyGrsley, Mar 17, 2012.

1. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

I was just thinking on the potential rotf had, so I was thinking,
    do you think it wouldve been a much better idea if rotf shouldve been divided into several different movies, to develop the story and characters better?

2. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So wait you want 7 rotfs in a row? Are you out of your flaming mind!?

3. OptimusPrime108

OptimusPrime108 Autobot Field Commander

We probably would have had more toilet humor and college scenes. I think one ROTF is enough.

4. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 MTMTE Sucks Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    even Bay can't handle that much Bayhem

5. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

What I'm saying is EXPANSION.
    Rotf had an amazing story, but had too much going on, and wouldve made a much better series had it been EXPANDED into several other films, like the harry potter movies.

6. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    ^ NO. Anything BUT that. This would beat down the transformers movie series like a dead horse and not that much happened in rotf for this kind of thing. The way i see it, Rotf is perfect the way it is. If the critics have you thinking that it's story is all over the place, you might want to re-watch it. the story is of a boy who just wants to go to college, but the tfs are interfering because, thanks to an accident, he knows something they- autobots and decepticons- dont know that could lead to a catastrophic event. Its a race against time as they-sam and the bots- must find such a threat using sam's knowledge, all the while an ancient enemy is behind it all. boom.

7. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

The war between the primes, the relationship between Megatron and The fallen, the story of the harvester and how it was all covered up, the story behind jetfire, the power of the matrix, the story behind each autobot and decepticon,
    the reason why the fallen is in the state he is.
    All of that couldve been developed had rotf been made into the main story arc
    of the films.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I see what you're saying - there was too much backstory crammed into RotF, and that only lent to the information overload.

A multiple movie series explaining all this would have had to be developed, and probably shot simultaneously, years in advance. And prior to the first movie, the studio had no idea that they were sitting on a gold mine.

It looks good on paper, and if the second movie had been something else than RotF, the success of the trilogy probably would have given a studio serious thoughts about pursing a Fallen story arc over multiple movies. Also take into account, you're looking at a lot of robot-on-robot interaction/combat, with very little human involvement - at least in the first couple of films. Would the studios go for that?

9. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Or explained in a conversation for 5 minutes in a scene

10. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

Now wheres the fun in that?

11. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

No

12. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I think it's great as is, but I certainly wouldn't have minded seeing TF:RotF with an ending something more along the lines of Star Wars Ep. V: The Empire Strikes Back, with Optimus still dead and the Decepticons grinding earth under their heels, yet Sam having already journeyed into the Matrix and essentially become Witwicky Prime as a glimmer of hope that humanity and the Autobots still have a chance but a vastly greater struggle ahead of them still with Sam leading the way to victory against all odds.

I always thought Sam being the bearer of the Matrix and having to step up as a leader like he did to a degree anyway was a fascinating story that deserved to be milked more but sadly got cut short, just like it did with Spike in the old Marvel TF comics. It would have been really interesting to see him come to grips with the responsibility and rally the forces more than the more basic and truncated version of this challenge seen in TF:D otM.

And ending TF:RotF with the Decepticons victorious and Optimus dead would also have the benefit of giving The Fallen's "revenge" a bit more much needed gravitas and heft, not to mention allowing the Decepticons to shine and to show exactly how much of a threat the Autobots were REALLY up against as well as a better idea of the repercussions of losing to them rather than simply a beat-up city or two.

Not to mention Sam's ascension as Witwicky Prime and subsequent revival of Optimus being instantly made 100 times for epic and amazing after leaving the end of the second film as more of a cliffhanger instead of Optimus really just being out of commission for a few days over 40 minutes of plot or whatever it was. Kinda cheapened such an amazing saga to rush it so much, actually.

Plus, it's always felt a bit backwards that the second film was so much more epic in scope than the third anyway, aside from the finality of the implosion of Cybertron of course, so just rearranging the two to go from the big Chicago battle and threat of enslavement first before upping the ante to destroying our entire Sun in the third film instead would've made more sense, as I see it. A lot of shifting around of various elements would be required obviously, but it certainly could've worked if they'd had it all laid out beforehand and worked it all out properly.

So I'm all for it...but I still love the films just the way they are, too.

Nothing wrong with idle fanboy pipedreams too though, right?

:) 

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Expanded, no. Better edited? Yes. Less is sometimes more.

Look at the current TF comics. So much more crammed into single issues than before but it all works so beautifully. It's not how much is in there but how well it's handled. RotF could've included all the story ideas it wanted and made them work nicely if they'd not just been hammered together like someone trying to get a weasle into a keyhole using a rock.

14. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I think ROTF would have worked better as a two parter and DOTM should have been better thought out. It could work as Revenge of the Fallen ending with Prime dead, the Decepticons destroying random cities and demanding Sam who's on the run from the Cons and the government and the Decepticons mysterious leader arriving on Earth.

A second movie could be called War of the Primes and have the Sam and Co searching for the Matrix, the revelation about the Fallen and it all leads to an epic last battle between the Bots and Cons. It would have raised the threat and be treated as the final battle as the true Origin of the Con is revealed and their leader leading them on the front line. Also, they should have Megatron help defeat the fallen so he isn't a little bitch.

With War of the Primes being treated as the fall of the Decepticons, Dark of the Moon would be the part of the film at the end, when the good guy and bad guy meet up for their final duel, only extended into an entire movie. All I think it would need is some slight altering. Especially the ending. The total annihilation of that many Cons is ridicules.