Minor/Repaint: ROTF: Wheeljack

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by dyingwill3rd, Jan 24, 2010.

1. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

Sup Everybody, here's a project that i've only shown on youtube up until this point. Here's my custom Wheeljack

In the ROTT Series, there are 5 divisions.

The Assault division is led by Ironhide. All autobots start in this division before they are assigned to another division.

The scouting division is led by (the missing) Bumblebee. This is for the most balanced autobots.

The aerial division is led by Jetfire.

The Medical division is led by Ratchet. This division is also in charge of other duties, such as upgrading and weapon development.

The Central division is led by Optimus. The other division leaders and the most elite autobots serve in this division.

Backstory-
    As a member of the Medical Division, Wheeljack is a close friend of Jolt. Wheeljack's main duty in the division is the weapons developer. With this duty, he sometimes takes his job too seriously and tries to experiment on his fellow autobots. When ever he decides to do this, he detaches his wings which then form a computer. A running gag of his is using this computer everytime he fights, with it showing what he will do to his opponent while also saying what he'll do. Wheeljack's rank is 4th officer, with Ratchet, Blaster, and Jolt being the top 3 respectively.

He was made from Sideswipe and was repainted and modded. His head is made from tftm Stockade's and Sideswipe's

This guy was hard to paint because of the white. I might buy an airbrush soon to help me with my white paint problem

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOxvT4oMg6E

Attached Files:

2. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    looks nice

3. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

I'm going to tell you this, because I don't think anyone else will. The pain on this looks pretty bad. It looks very thick and clumpy. Your lines are not clean at all. You have some cool ideas, but you really need to do some more prep work. Maybe I can help you improve some things.

1. What kind of paint are you using?
    2. Are you letting it dry completely between coats?
    3. Are you keeping your coats thin?
    4. Are you using tape to keep your lines straight?

Start there.

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Good work on the head man! Nice backstory too!:thumbs2: 

5. dyingwill3rd

Ironically, 2-4 that u are asking i actually did with this guy. That's all i'm going to say.

6. The Honey Badger

The Honey Badger Tfcon2016 Chicago was a blast! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Alot of pics, and youtube video...

7. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i like the colour scheme of your wheel jack! looks like it works well, however i will have to say prep work would greatly improve how the white goes on, id suggest cleaning up ol' swipe and priming him then of course spraying white. it will always go on much flatter than a brush! but keep up the good work!

8. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

I agree. You can get away with brushing when applying varnish, robot-parts, drybrushing and details, but when doing something like a car-body, you really gotta stick with spraypaints or airbrushing, especially with whites. First make a basecoat out of some primer or a flat color. Also, masking tape is your friend, your BEST friend even...And you want to spend some dough to get the best there is. (Tamiya masking tape!!!)

I see a non-consistent level in your customs. I really like your Bludgeon and your drybrushed Prime, for example, but I have to admit that this Wheeljack looks sloppy. Thick, unthinned paint (multiple thin coats >> one thick coat), free-handed stripes. Your designs are great, but your repaints don't do them justice.

Hotwire's words sound harsh at best, but they're true nonetheless. Superquad7 also, more than once, gave you suggestions to improve your skills.

White is still the hardest color to paint, especially with a brush, it's almost impossible to get an even color without breaking it to a different tone.

I hope you see this comment as manner of help and constructive feedback from a fellow-Radicon who would like to see you grow as a customizer.

9. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    never a truer post has been made on these boards as fateastray has said! masking tape and thin coats work sooooo well but also taking time to go one step at a time and not rush in with one heavy coat!

an option i took is but a couple of really cheap figues and practice using primers and white paints on them!

10. dyingwill3rd

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad u like my designs.

I did use masking tape on him for most of the car. I'll take your suggestions of spraypaint for the car mode. I'm just glad that this is my "prototype ver" of Wheeljack. I'm gonna redo this custom when i find another Sideswipe.

11. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Get better masking tape. The Tamiya that was recommended works great and doesn't allow the paint to bleed under it. as for brushing paint, here's a great read for you...
    Basic Guide to Painting Transformers Figures