ROTF Wave 1 shelf-life?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TranstechCat, Jun 5, 2009.

1. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

Ok, in about two and a half to three weeks, I'll (finally) be coming into some money and will be able to spend nearly as much as I want on ROTF stuff.

So far my list looks roughly like this*:

Starscream -Voyager
    Megatron - Voyager
    The Fallen - Voyager
    Ravage - Deluxe
    Ransack - Scout
    Ejector - Scout
    Optimus Prime - Voyager (Maybe...)

My question is: It could be up to three weeks before this money gets in my hands. Will I have trouble obtaining some of the figures on my list if I wait that long? Namely Starscream and Optimus, who are wave 1, and Ransack who's wave 2 (but out now). I'm not as worried about the later wave figures like Megatron and The Fallen (as it will be about that long before they even make it here anyway...) but I'm concerned that Starscream and the other figs who are out now will be kind of scarce in a months time.

I also want some of the Legends figures that are out right now. (Jetfire, Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream...) Any chance of those disappearing before I'm able to purchase them?

* = I've managed to arrange getting the Preview figs (Soundwave and Bumblebee) through other means (yay for calling in favors!). I don't have them (yet), but I don't have to worry about them either.

2. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    you should be fine. the movie doesnt even come out for three weeks. imagine how pissed the new fan base would be if they never got to see there favorite movie character in toy form because it sold out before the movie was available to see. ppl would complain. ALOT

3. Blurrz

Blurrz You're Breathtaking!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I'm pretty sure the first Wave and the second will be reciprocated back on the shelves along with future waves.

Like kwickstrike said, the new fan base would be pretty pissed if some of the toys weren't there to be bought.

4. arcee3

arcee3 Well-Known Member

It sorta depends on your area. Around here, Voyager Starscream is all but a myth, but Voyager Ratchet and Prime are as common as can be. Voyager Fallen is pretty darn popular, but around here isn't TOO hard to find. In alot of places, Voyager Megatron is just starting to come out, so you might not have too much trouble there. Also, most of the Scout and Legends figures appear in droves over here, but not necessarily everywhere else. I'd say contact your local stores when you're about to go out and buy stuff and see what's available. There's also always the internet, like Toysrus.com and keep checking the Sightings part of this forum. It always helps me.
    But I'd say that even if you can't find them now, you will be able to later. Hasbro seems alot more competent this movie than the last one.

5. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    3 weeks? You're lucky. I'm deployed to Kyrgyzstan for 6 months. I can only build up my Pile o' Loot from BBTS and have it shipped at the end of Nov, but I'll have one hell of an x-mas!

6. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    OMFG. duuuuude thats gonna be like.. a years worth of toys!
    ur gonna have a 3k dollar BBTS bill lol

7. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    That's the good thing about the PoL, you pay as you go, so only the final shipping cost will change. But yeah, I'm at over $260 easily already.

8. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    thats what id be most excited about when coming home.

id walk into my house straight past my wife and start ripping open boxes. rofl

jk?

9. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

True. But sometimes it's nearly universal. (For example Animated Wreck-Gar, Shockwave, and Skywarp were pretty much "buy on sight or else" across the board from what I understand. Personally, I saw ONE Shockwave, TWO Wreck-Gars, and ONE Skywarp on the shelves during the entire course of the Animated line, and I've STILL never seen a single Ultra Magnus. I managed to get Shockwave later through other means, but I never did get Skywarp, Wreck-Gar or Ultra Magnus.)

I made a trip to Walmart the other day to scope the ROTF stuff they had even though I had no cash (something I usually don't do cause that always ends in disappointment and thoughts of robbing banks :lol ) and they seemed to have plenty of Starsceams and a few Optimus's. I don't know the exact numbers cause there was a guy there with his kids and they were kinda hovering around the Transformers. I couldn't tell who was the actual browser cause he seemed to be picking things up, examining them and then handing them to his kids to carry off and lay down elsewhere. ( :rolleyes2  )

I mostly had to stand back and pick areas to browse in that they weren't, so I didn't get to route around and take mental counts (x-number of these, only x-number of those, etc...) like I usually do. I did notice that (as far as I could see) there was only one Soundwave, and a metric hugton of Bumblebee's.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot does depend on your area, but my general take:

- Ravage and Ejector aren't likely to be a problem. Ejector doesn't have a set release date and Ravage probably won't be out until the end of June (HTS.com has it shipping June 22nd).
    - Voyager Megatron is only just starting to come out and probably won't hit saturation for awhile, so you should be fine waiting on that one.
    - Voyager Prime is just a redeco of a figure from the first line, so there's not as much demand for it. In my area, at least, it's shelfwarming. Probably safe to wait on that one.
    - The Fallen seems to be getting easier to find (I'm seeing a lot of them) and he's shipping in at least two waves, so shouldn't be that hard to find even in three weeks. If all else fails, we have confirmation of a repaint coming out for it later in the year.
    - Ransack is the only one I'm not sure about. Scouts tend to sell pretty well, since they're cheap, and Ransack seems to be popular with fans.

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I didn't start collecting the first movie stuff till november ( so like 6 months after original release ), and I got every different bot or seen at least seen them on the shelf at some point.