Minor/Repaint: ROTF Voyager Starscream V2

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SonOfNemesis, Jul 15, 2012.

1. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

A commissioned figure, Starscream is non-transforming (sorry, no jet mode guys). I base coated him with two shades of grey and then highlighted his edges with a third lighter accent of grey. I took my time with his internal workings and painted all of the gearing.

His tattoo paint apps are more of a liberal style rather than a movie accurate replica but regardless, I think his owner will be rather happy :) 

This version of Starscream is kind of difficult to pose because of his weight imbalance, but here he is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Although the paint work is REALLY clean and great, that toy looks terrible IMHO. Maybe the poses could be better or the legs are mistransformed or positioned poorly? I know SS is wide, but he looks really fat... I know the way the hands are limited in articulation sort of forces those arm poses that look like male homosexual parodies, and that doesnt help the overall silly look.
    Again, the paint looks great. I only mention the figure looking bad because if it lost its jet mode, it isn't cutting it as a robot replica style articulated figure for me at all.
    Just my straight forward honest opinion. :/

3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    ^
    1. It doesn't look fat. It looks WIDE. I'm always amazed how the fandom perceives anything outside of narrow or accurate human proportions as 'fat' . He's wide and flat like a kite. You mean to say, kites are fat just because they're wide ?

2. Posing this guy should not be difficult, provided, the leg joints aren't loose.

3. The arms do indeed bend the anatomically correct way, it's just that the rotation of the hands is fixed at a 90 degrees offset from a natural position.

4. Indeed, I see no added value here by omitting the jetmode.

5. Otherwise, good work :) 

4. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Yeah I agree. I'm just using words less specific than they have to be I guess. I didn't mean this figure mold looks obese. Just way too wide with stubby little legs.
    I realize Starscream was wide in the movies too, but the proportions were much different from this toy's. A lot closer to the Leader class figure's.
    Maybe better poses could help the look? I dunno.

5. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The mold doesn't look too bad to me. It's all about the posing and transformation. Like, if the legs are straightened out more and his shoulders lifted higher, it makes his body look longer and less 'tubby'.

Also, I'd always thought the legs should be rotated so that the lifted up panels would be pointed towards the back instead, and can be used to prop his feet and help him balance.

Anyhoo, I love the paintjob. It's extremely neat, almost decal-like and I can imagine the number of hours put into it. Pity it's non-transformable though...I would think more could be done to mod the figure if it were so.

6. lhandlott

lhandlott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow I love the paint app as always , the details are soo good all is nice and clean , as for the figure yes it's a bad figure but that is hasbro. Since its a non transforming figure maybe adding more parts on the legs like from another Starscream and doing the arm mod helps so so so much. The best thing about a non transforming figure its the freedom to add articulation and better limbs parts etc. I really think you did an amazing job , I like your version of the tatoos better than the original. I'm sure the new owner will be very happy .

7. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

Wow the paint apps are amazing on this guy!I realy wish I could do it that crisply, but I have to agree with the others, this figure IMO looks amazing as it is right now but I think it could maybe be improved :/ especially with the arm mod, and maybe a pair of Fakebusker's voyager Screamer hands?

8. SonOfNemesis

Thanks for the comments guys but this is a straight up repaint commission. Mod work and extra parts/pieces would've raised the price for my customer and I didn't want to add to the already pricey cost of this guy and to top it off my schedule is already at the max right now so adding more workload to this little guy would be over stretching my limits.

It's not my favorite figure as far as it's articulation goes, but as customizers we do what we can with what we got (concerning the figure's design and all).

9. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

Great painting on this figure. Every little detail really shines. I always loved this guys transformation. The way he splits in half and the tail fins fill in the chest.

10. SonOfNemesis

Thanks!

11. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Love e paint job and he overall look (except he mod specific leg issues)

So you added no mods and it's also non transforming? That sounds a bi weirded to me, or. Did the customer say he wont be transform him?

12. SonOfNemesis

Thanks, yeah man its a commissioned non transforming custom. No mods were in the price for him and I didnt want to make this an 'even more' expensive custom with adding parts and/or mod work. My customer just wanted a straight up repaint with tattoos.

13. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    You misunderstood my words, I wanted to. Know: when there are no mods, how can it be that this is non transforming?

14. SonOfNemesis

It is what my customer decided. He doesn't transform his custom figures and so regarding the paint work for this custom, I put the main focus on Starscream's tattoo work which would've inevitably rubbed somewhere if it were transformable. In other words, I wouldn't have been able to do as much tattoo work if Starscream was transformable.

15. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Are his feet backwards?

16. SonOfNemesis

Actually, yes they are...thanks for telling me :) , I just corrected it.

17. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    That paint job is top notch! great work!