Customs: ROTF Voyager Powerup Optimus Prime Suggestions

Discussion in 'Requests' started by Sidewave, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Sidewave

Sidewave Autobot

News Credits:
    I'm going to be making a Voyager version of Powerup Prime using the Voyager Prime mold and a SR-71 model kit, does anyone have any suggestions towards what type of tools/ techniques i should use? (this will be my first custom) What scale should the SR-71 kit be?

2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You might want to try this in the Radicons discussions forum, rather than the requests forum.

That said, you're probably going to want the biggest SR71 you can find. The Jetfire toy is pretty huge. I think it's fairly unlikely that you'll find one that's BIGGER than what you need/want.

If *I* were tackling such a project, I'd probably proceed this way:

1: Plan what Parts of the Jet should go where on prime
    2: Carefully chop up the model jet
    3: Using Bionicle/Xevoz/Neo Shifter parts to fuse the aircraft parts into articulated/positionable chunks
    4: Using scrap-pegs(Spurs from the model-kit would probably be useful here) figure out a way to attach your Jet-Part-Bundles (from 3) onto Prime's screw-holes/tabs/slots/whatever or barring that, use neodinum-rare-earth-magnets to create connection points.
    5: Paint the puppies up, and attach 'em to your prime!

3. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 ライオコンボイ

Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'd assume the best idea is to find out what Scale Prime is, and get a Blackbird kit of the same scale.
    For drilling, use a pin vise.
    I hear a jeweler's saw works well for cutting, though i'm not sure how much cutting will be required if you use a non-assembled model kit. For gluing, you can use plastic weld or epoxy. Just make sure the surface is cleaned with warm, soapy water and a toothbrush first, or it may not bond well.

4. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

A commonly-availabe Revell brand SR-71 kit in 1/72 scale is over 17" long, just like the Leader-class toy. I'd think that is your best bet. A Ben Franklin near my work keeps that kit stocked at around $15, so does a Hobby Lobby about an hour from here.