ROTF Voyager Bludgeon Pictorial Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Peaugh, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Finally! Seems like this guy took FOREVER to get here!

[​IMG]

First off, before we get into the review proper, let me just say WOW! I absolutely LOVE this figure. He hasn't left my side all day. It doesn't hurt that Bludgeon was my first and only pretender when I was a kid, before he was even cool in the comic. Sadly, he was ripped away from me far too soon, so this updated version is a real treat for me. Anyway, onward!

Vehicle mode, obviously, is a green tank with some orange and grey details:

[​IMG]

The grey part of the cannon is the handle for his large sword, and the smaller grey post on the back of the tank is his smaller sword.

Not to worry tank fans, his turret is fully rotatable. 360 DEGREEES!

[​IMG]

The small gun on top of the turret also spins a full 360. The Brawl-esque missile pods are stationary. Other than that, though, there's not much else to talk about in this mode. He's a tank, he can fire behind himself, and he rolls. He even looks good with the shorter barrel with the sword removed:

[​IMG]

Transformation is just right. Enough to fiddle with to feel satisfying, without being overly frustrating. Basically just remove the swords, unpeg the sides of the tank to form the legs, rotate and plug in the hips while singing the hip armor over the top of the maroon hinge joints, flip on the feet, fold down the arms, then push the hips up into the torso which pops out his head. I also like to rotate the turret so the cannon faces to his left. Looks decent as back kibble and this way you can still sheath the swords and he has no silly turret pointing up from his head. The armor on his left hip has a little tab that automatically pops up the sheath for his large sword. The smaller sword can still store in its original slot.

[​IMG]

Slide the swords into their sheaths and you've got robot mode!

[​IMG]

Bot mode is nice. He looks good with the swords stowed there on his hip, although a little goofy from the side:

[​IMG]

The smaller sword can also store in a hidden sheath in the turret on his back:

[​IMG]

EDIT: WOOHOO! Just trimmed off some mold flash that was preventing the small sword from sliding all the way into the hidden sheath. The small sword DOES store in the turret in tank mode!

[​IMG]

Posability is pretty nice. He's got swivels on his bicep and just above the knee, which are pop-in joints much like on Animated Starscream's legs, but executed MUCH better here. Nice and tight and not prone to just falling out. Everything else is a pinned hinge joint as far as I can tell. Head rotates on a swivel, shoulders swivel in and out, two joints at the elbows, hinged wrists, hips swivel forward/back and in/out (no waist swivel sadly due to transformation, but it's forgivable.), ratcheting knees, and feet hinge front/back. Makes for some cool poses.

[​IMG]

GONNA GETCHA!

And yes, he can hold the sword with two hands:

[​IMG]

Some comparison shots:

With Animated and Henkei Megatron:

[​IMG]

with Starscream:

[​IMG]

With Galvatron in both modes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with the original:

[​IMG]

Overall, a FANTASTIC figure that holds together excellently and is a LOT more hit than miss. And honestly, while the grey is a lighter shade on the final toy, he actually matches up VERY well with the photoshopped promo pics from Hasbro, which is a nice change from the usual. The only drawbacks here to me are that the hands are one piece and just a LITTLE too small to easily fit the swords into. He holds them quite tightly, but you have to use just short of "oh god am I going to break this?!" pressure to get them in there. Which brings me to my other drawback: The swords are made from a softer grey plastic, so they're going to bend a little during the insertion process. However, being the softer plastic, they bend back into shape quite easily. Also, I echo some statements that the face could be just a LITTLE more menacing. It's a lot better in person than pics make it out to be, but just a little more sleek and sinister would have done well here. Other than those VERY minor issues, the figure is outstanding. Definitely worth picking up.

[​IMG]

Video review is available here:
    YouTube - Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Voyager Bludgeon

Thanks for looking!

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    lol the shot from the side looks like he has committed seppaku aka Hiri-Kiri but anyways awesome review a must have

3. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great pics/review as usual, Peaugh.

Could I make a request for Classics Megs and Animated Megs posed on either side of Bludgeon. I'm trying to decide which shelf he belongs on (I'm already pretty sure it isn't the movie one).

Thanks again for sharing. This guy is a definite purchase.

4. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wasn't interested in this figure, but now I may get him if he turns up in the UK and other reviews are favourable.

Can we have a size comparison with a classics seeker?

5. feral prime

feral prime Well-Known Member

Wow!!! I know that soon this toy will be in my hands. It just screams utter coolness....I would like it to start shipping before Christmas

6. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    WOOHOO! Just trimmed off some mold flash that was preventing the small sword from sliding all the way into the hidden sheath. The small sword DOES store in the turret in tank mode!

7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Oh very nice. Good job :D .

8. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sweet pics. Can we get a nice close up of the face if possible. Thanks Peaugh.

9. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't wait to see how the radicons repaint this guy. There are comments that the skull is not scary enough, but we all know what kind of amazing results a little paint up can do.

10. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

do WANT. his face is absolutely awesome when hidden in shadows :D 

11. col

col ROCK LORD

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review, Peaugh. Great job with it. Could we see photos of him with a whole bunch of Classic Decepticons? I'm curious to see how well he fits in with them. Thanks!

12. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Pics! Pics! :D 

13. all are dead

all are dead Being a nerd is my game.

News Credits:
    Awesome figure looking forward till tfctoys on ebay gets him up for sale then he'll be mine! :ev: 

14. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Make sure you grab one for me, too! :D 

15. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

I'm not really into Revenge of the Fallen toys but this one is a must get for me!!! Nice review my man!!!

16. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
    soooooooo no turning wrists? that would have been awesome for stop motion.

17. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    This will definitely be a great toy. Maybe the best this year if he come out around Christmas time.

18. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Looks awesome. Thanks for the pics yo.:thumb 

19. Strategist

Strategist Hound Wrangler TJ 4.0I

He transforms into a Japanese Type 90.

Why is this figure released in the ROTF line?
    He doesn't look like a movie figure at all. Would fit much better in the Classics/Universe/Henkei line as he looks just like the G1 Pretender shell.
    I saw the video review which also shows him side to side with the Deluxe class Bludgeon (the LAV which is a repaint of Wreckage). They look great together.

You could imagine the Deluxe being the inner robot and the Voyager being his Pretender shell. :) 
    The Wreckage repaint doesn't look bad for a classic I think.

Although he would have a wrong alternate mode for the inner robot buyt the Type 90 altmode of the 'Pretender shell' would make up for that . :) 

20. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oddly enough, the first question that popped to mind when I saw him with both swords sheathed is can he cross-draw? Is he articulated enough for that?