ROTF via USB Stick

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by rosedoggydog, Nov 3, 2009.

1. rosedoggydog

rosedoggydog Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Paramount and Kingston team up for movies on flash memory

Sorry if its old news (i looked first) but it would be even better (and worth it) if it came on a Ravage USB stick.

Just saying, you know us fanboys...

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    FAIL

$30 for a non-HD copy of the movie and a memory stick that is already filled up (mostly)?

It's cheaper to buy both the BD and an empty stick.

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    If you could put it on Device Label Ravage, that would be awesome.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    On the plus side, it'll take up very little space compared to Dvd and Blu-ray.

I'm sure the price will come down once they get out there. Lets let the market decide if an idea like this has a future.

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'm just worried about what kind of software these are going to try to force on your hard drive, in some futile attempt at anti-piracy.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    People need to start getting prepared that THIS is very quickly going to become the next commonplace hardcopy (aka tangible) format for music & movies. I've worked in the music scene for almost 12 years now and this is something a lot of labels & studios have been seriously talking about, strategizing & planning over the past 1-2 years. The biggest thing that has prevented it from moving ahead full steam is that CD's & DVD's are still considered relevant formats due to how long they've been around. This is also why a lot of movie studios are not doing mass re-releases of their films on Blu-Ray - because many of them are not confident that it will be around for much longer, and anticipate it could be replaced by USB's and/or new flash cards (sized like a business card) as fast as Blu-Ray replaced HD less than 2 years ago. Plus Blu-Ray, almost by default, has been proving that people generally don't care about artwork & booklets anymore since virtually none of the releases include anything except a disc and a bare basic insert. People just want the content and will seemingly spend the same amount with or without elaborate packaging.

All in all, very interesting to see these Transformers movies continuing to be on the cusp of the 'next big thing' thanks to a savvy director and backing studio. Bay protested the lack of Blu-Ray back when TF1 was being released and it wouldn't surprise me if he had some direct involvement with making this happen with ROTF as well.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No it won't.

Because this will never take off. a new format for movies will never take hold if consumers dont support it, no matter what the companies behind it want.

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Except that this is exactly what people DO want - smaller, space saving media products that are easily transportable and digitally transferable. It obviously has to go through an expected refining process (offer HD content, modern sound surround options, be compatible with cross platform devices, probably come down in cost a bit, etc.) and won't necessarily *replace* CD's or DVD's outright, but this absolutely is the next step in the world of music & movies continuing to be offered in a physically tangible form. For as many people that are buying Blu-Ray because of the better quality, for example, there's just as many doing it simply because it takes up less space. That's almost surprising, but when you look at everything else associated with these mediums (iPod's, Nano's, PSP's, etc.) along with the recent boom in digital book offerings ala Kindle, the writing has been on the wall for a while now that smaller is better when it comes virtually anything & everything that can be offered digitally.

Haha, but just to clarify, I'm not saying it's a GOOD idea. Personally I still love 'old school' CD's, DVD's & books. But I also know that time is running out for all them since I've been dealing with it firsthand via how my industry now releases its products. Then again, it's not really insider information anymore either. Walk into any store and it's clear as day what's happening and where we're going from here.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    But this offers inferior sound and vision to BD, and most likely costs considerably more to manufacture, with the costs passed onto the consumer.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Hence why it's still being a refined format option and still being considered an "experimental" medium. It's not going to explode overnight since most personnel involved with it already know that if they can't do it as close to "right" as possible out of the starting gate, then don't it at all... yet. But we're close. And by "we" I mean the consumers. We're less than 1-2 years away from seeing these sorts of ultra-small / ultra-portable devices popping up everywhere *alongside* the more established traditional formats, but it'll be at least 5 years or more before they eventually overtake and/or replace them... no different than the current ratio of sales in digital music vs. CD's. Digital sales continue to increase and CD sales continue to decrease, but on paper, it hasn't overtaken yet... though it looks to by 2010.

Then of course there's the ever present "Joe Average" angle which labels & studios very much prey AND reply upon for broader sales - continuing to cater to the people who buy whatever is cheapest & convenient with no regard or care whatsoever about the technical aspects. That angle alone is pretty much the exact thing that has kept DVD's & CD's relevant in the first place, along with the few of us (mainly collectors) who are just too stubborn or paranoid to embrace a new format yet.

11. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Direct Downloads will take over well before this ever does.

As for the hard-media segment, there is no chance this would ever surpass BD at this point. It's too expensive and inconvenient. Sure the studios may be in love with it, but they love a lot of things that are complete and total failures because the consumer couldn't care less.

I predict this idea goes the way of the ZIP drive. Sticks around for way too long, but manages to still be a failure the whole time.

12. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    at just 4GB it's likely inferior to the DVD! (and costs about twice what it should)

I do think the concept of media on flash-type drives has it's place though, as we move into a digital distribution era there are still going to be lots of regions that will be under-served by the bandwidth to take advantage of it. (not to mention people who just want something 'tangible' to own)

13. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll keep buying BluRay/DVD thanks. =)

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    There's a lot of potential to this as a format, if people can make the mental shift.

The storage capacity of flash memory doubles almost every year(faster than Moore's law). And it gets cheaper all the time.

If you can stick a usb port on a TV, and bipass the middleman of a seperate player, it could become pretty universal.

15. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm one of those people who wants the best quality possible. Despite the popularity of digital downloads, I'd rather go out and buy the CD or Blu-ray movie. Sadly, I'm in the minority, because most consumers would rather have convenience over quality. In this regard, Incepticon is definitely correct.

Now, if they put the movie on a 32GB flash drive with full 1080p video and lossless audio, they'd get me as a customer but this probably won't happen any time soon due to cost.

16. artiepants

News Credits:
    to jump in on the debate of whether this kind of physical media is desirable by consumers, i actually think something like this is exactly how you DO drum up interest.

I remember a few years back the White Stripes released an album on a limited-edition USB stick, there were 2 with custom cartoony art of each member silk screened on and they were hella expensive, $57.50 each!

found the article: White Stripes album sold on limited edition USB drives

so, as a promo-collectible type thing, this idea could have traction (i do agree that it'll never be seriously mainstream though)

17. Pimpimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Most likely its encoded using the WMV or DivX format and doesn't even use half of the space. The quality is probably on par with a retail DVD but the file will be chock full of DRM.

18. artiepants

News Credits:
    i'm just hoping in 3-5 years we see 1080p downloads as the regular "way of things"

19. Pimpimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ISP's will never go for it. Despite increases in speed, they still don't like it when their customers use a lot of bandwidth. They'd rather have you use their on demand video services which from my experiences look like ass due to the low bit rates.

20. artiepants

News Credits:
    3-5 years might be a tad optimistic, but you have to figure it's the eventual way of things. Even quality 720p vids would be nice ~ iTunes HD isn't bad, but the Bitrate throughput just isn't there yet.