Customs: RotF Tuner Mudflap and you, Radicon!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, May 2, 2010.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ok, so the last few times I've been out with my friends "toy hunting", pretty much all I've see are several RotF Tuner Muflap figures. One Target had 15 of them and one Wal*mart had 16. These are just two instances out of many.

I am also aware that there have been several Radicons who have taken Tuner Mudflap and done cool things already with the figure. Tonight, I really got to thinking that I'd really like to see what you guys would do with this figure. Now, granted, I think making a sparkly version of RotF Mudflap is cool, and even a G1-inspired Skids is cool (and I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of either). However, two things come to mind:

1. Beginners continually ask, "What's a good way to start customizing and kitbashing?" My typical responsse is, "take a cheap figure that you don't care that gets trashed, and learn from it." Tuner Mudflap isn't going anywhere soon, and he's generally $10, $12 maximum. Need I say more?
    2. I'd really like to see something totally awesome done with this figure. As much as I enjoy repaints (and as you know, most of my own work is mainly "repaints"), I'd really like to see one figure that's a shelfwarming turd and seeing just how many different variations and different REALLY cool things can be done. Radicons certainly have this capacity. :) 

If you're devoid of ideas, simply browse the Radicons Customs forum and the Radicons Gallery. However, I'm throwing this challenge out here just to see what you guys can do. Take this figure. Bash it up. Arm it to the teeth. Give it an identity that's not nearly as retarded as Mudflap. Use a G1 persona. Use a Beast Machines persona. Give him 10 arms. Make him a Cybertronian vehicle to go with Animated Ratchet (cause Animated Ratchet is an awesome figure and shame on you if you didn't get one while you were looking for Animated Arcee!). Take this figure that's clogging our many shelves and do something totally awesome with him.

Please!

:) 

When you finish taking on my challenge, be sure to post a thread in Radicons and everywhere else on the internet. Post your thread link from Radicons here along with photos. Go forth and conquer!

2. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Don't be afraid to post discussing any such ideas regarding this topic here, either. :lol 

3. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Honestly, I don't remember seeing Tuner Mudflap last I went buying TFs. Then again, that was a week ago....

I kind of want to pick one up for customizing practice.
    My current idea is Nemesis Mudflap!

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I could see him as a movie Protectobot or Stunticon drone

And i see at least 10 of him at each store by me.

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    The deluxe pegs are so clogged here that I don't see how we're gonna get anything new in. Wal*mart ain't gonna clearance them out either. The more I go to Wal*mart is the more I've thought about this thread. Target has been just as bad as well. If nothing else, the guys locally (including myself) all complain about the stores literally being infested with this figure, and many of the local guys have caught the Radicon-customizing bug. I figure, "well, if you're interested, this is a good place to start!" :) 

I'd love to see just a whole slew of customs all over the spectrum using this toy just because :) 

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    would, but i can't stand the figure itself, even if it was a better character, it's still a crap figure

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    All the more reason to kitbash it into something cooler! :D 

8. Soundwave_FSD

Soundwave_FSD Yoda in a track suit...

You know what quady, I'm gonna take you up on this challenge. Give me two weeks to scrape some cash for the fig. Then a week for customizing. I have a few ideas, let me see what I can do.

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I was in a Wal-Mart here in Lexington on Tuesday that had one Dirge, one Gears, two Volt's, and the rest were Tuner Mudflap. And the pegs were PACKED!!! There were probably 40 figures, and only 4 were not Mudflap.

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    AWESOME! I want to see what you (and others) can do with this! :) 

Yeah, and I wouldn't have even posted this thread if I thought it was only my local retail stores. Your report doesn't surprise me in the least, IG.

I mean right off of the top of my head I was thinking of a custom RotF "X-Brawn" (CR Wildrider/RiD X-brawn). That was just thinking about the mold itself for about 5 minutes. It's just gotten to the point that when I go to a retail store now, I just see this figure as customs fodder. I love looking at others' work, and since my space is still down, I won't be making anything new for just a little bit.

I'd also just love to see someone post the most absolute, wildest 'bash made from this mold, even if there's not much left of the original toy once the artist is finished.

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I may have to pick one or two up this week. I can't really do any customizing until at least July. I've got too much going on til after Botcon. But I'll be in my new house by then, so I might actually get to do some more kitbashing.

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Congrats on your new house! Yeah, the thing about what I've posted here is that there is no deadline or anything like that. I just want something cool done with em. I love seeing what people come up with using something like this as a guide to start out with. Sure, there are more "formal" things that have been done in the past, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to see how many people could take something like this and jump on it to make it awesome.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'll see what I can do.

14. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Might make a good primal if he gets a big skids arm

15. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ok ima give a video on how to improve the figure

16. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Woah. That's a lot of Mudflaps (*snicker*). On a seperate note, I just bought some industrial springs to "arm" my original (1984-85) TFs. The one I loaded into Sunstreaker's arm is practically stronger than Japanese springs. If nothing else, I could consider using a Mudflap for "target practice". Or I could find something else capable of taking the business end of a yellow fist (or reissue Red Alert's red rocket) and "walking away" to tell the tale.

Let me know if Skids (the other Ghettobot) is just as plentiful. I'm just as offended by him, but maybe he can be repainted and head swapped into the non-offensive, carelessly-bumps-into-other-cars-in-spite-of-"super-braking"-power G1 Skids.
    [Responders, please don't follow my divergent path. The real point is hunting down lots of plentiful shelf-warming kitbash fodder! Like Destruction Team Armada Mini-Cons, and 1987 G.I Joe Sneak Peeks... :D ]

Quick question: Can the '07 Bumblebee head fit on either of the twins? Perhaps ROTF Swerve or '07 Dropkick's.

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Nope. If Skids was just as plentiful, this thread would have a different vector. Actually, on last night's hunt, I pointed out to my friend that the Wal*mart we were in actually had a Skids. There other figures that shelfwarm as well, but I've just not seen any TF figure as plentiful as this.

To answer your question: yes, the head can fit. Somehow, someway. If you find that head doesn't work, feel free to use another. Got an Alt head lying around? Try it; it'll fit. That Powermaster Optimus Prime head that has no home? Done. Got a Unicron head left over from all of those parts? Perfect. Did that Legends Springer not suit you, and you still have his head? Yep, it's a winner. Any other head can fit. Trust me on this.

Maybe one doesn't want to do a head swap. That's ok. Play dentist and remove those goofy-looking teeth. Take that Dremel and hack away all day long to make Mudflap's head cooler. Paint it black. Paint it pink.

My point here (while perhaps overstated) is that I just want ot see some Radicons take this figure that has infested our pegs and do some cool things. I also think that if any other person beyond this point asks, "What's the best way to start kitbashing?", I'm gonna answer "Tuner Mudflap".

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  @ Tuner Mudflap.

I know my Wal-mart has a million of this dude. The next time I am there I will pick one up if he is on sale and see what I can do with him.

19. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

beast wars bantor could use an updating thru this challenge

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    AWESOME! I can't wait to see what you do with him!

YOU'RE EXACTLY RIGHT HE COULD! I hope you do it! You could actually update the whole Beast Wars line while you're at it! :)