Minor/Repaint: ROTF Tracks

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SentinelPrime, Jun 24, 2009.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Hi there! Good to see ya. Thanks for stopping by.

Well, I've been focusing on the new Marvel figures so much lately that it's been awhile since I got into a new Transformer, which is a shame because that's what got me into customizing. With all of the excitement surrounding ROTF, I was inspired to make a new custom!

When the very first images of ROTF Sideswipe were released, the first thing that jumped into my mind was "Tracks!" Well, it wasn't, but I decided to make a ROTF Tracks based on that concept.

Now then, of course this was originally ROTF Sideswipe. He was painted using actual car paint from a local store. I then went to work on the details using my faorite paint, Testor's Model Master Acryl. Using various dry brushing, you see how much detail this figure truly has.

I love the copper colored details on the movie-formers, and using Tamiya flesh wash over silver produces that color, which you can see on the leg springs and other details. A light clearcoat was used to protect the decals. Speaking of which, I had to choose whether or not to put a big Autobot symbol in the hood flames like the G1 character. Since the Bay movie transformers are focused so much on hiding, I decided to go with the more traditional car flames, which match Optimus Prime from the movies, which looks great and provides some visual continuity. I opted to go with the G1 rub-symbol on the roof, as a classic nod and to provide an autobot symbol in vehicle mode while remaining along the theme of being hidden. Also Tracks has an attack mode, with the G1-themed white wings and guns. A random cool thing that happened was in the course of painting the chest panels; the white in front of his head looks kind of like a tie...which is hilarious considering the G1 Tracks attitude.

The face and taillights were painted silver, then given a coat of translucent red to provide an awesome metallic effect, including the eyes. I'm not sure that the pics convey how metallic they look. Think of the vac-metal look of Beast Wars or RID but way more durable.

I loved returning to Transformers, and had alot of fun re-making one of my childhood favorites into the movie style!
    **No excuse, sorry. Please post your ebay auctions in the TFW2005.com ebay forum. Thanks!~Radicons Staff**

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009
  2. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I gotta say, this almost sales me on Sideswipe... god that's a perfect color scheme for it. Really nice job you did.

3. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Thats awesome, the colours really suit the figure.

Excellent work :thumb 

4. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great work. Really suits the character.

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    looks great!

6. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

That looks awesome, I'm working on the same character and trying to finish him up.

7. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Looks great with the exception of the traditional Pontiac Firebird "Screaming Chicken" logo on the hood...since this is, you know, a Corvette Stingray. That's my only gripe though...without that it would be perfect. I think a corvette with a firebird emblem would draw a lot of attention, but mostly in the form of snickers and facepalms.

8. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Hands down, fav repaint of this mold yet.

9. Rubicon

Rubicon Rubi Red

News Credits:
    Looks great. Good job.

10. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    GORGEOUS paint job, I think SOMEONE must have intended this to be Tracks before deciding to push the "Sideswipe" trademark/recognition onto the screen instead.

Also not in love with the firebird emblem, though I AM pleased that you gave him flames, and I approve of your 'bot symbol locals

11. frogDNA

frogDNA Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very nice!
    Awesome repaint, one of my faves so far!
    The G1 homage is great, I loved the rub symbol! Where did you get that? :O

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Oh wow! Very cool. Love the rub sign you added too. Nice touch.

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, but I totally disagree. You know why? It's not just a Corvette Stingray. It's a concept car that utilizes design cues from ALL GM vehicles over the last 50 years! It's a celebratory car. If you notice, it has Cadillac style cues, for one example. I think adding in the Firebird cue just adds to the real vehicle's package that much more. I also like the faux "wings" by folding and flipping out the doors, too. :)  nice job.

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah but, corvette > firebird.

it would like merging all of germany's cars then sticking a VW emblem on the hood. just that in my eyes, I see the firebird as a low-end GM sports car.

nice job by the way, love the red in his forearms.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  15. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    As a firebird enthusiast and proud owner of two, I'm saddened by your comment. Though I will admit that the camaro and Firebird were at times hindered by lackluster engineering. Still, to compare with the Corvette brand is a moot point, as it's a world-class sports car and is one of the few (if only) platforms that GM takes care of.

My point was simply that the logo is wrong. Regardless of design cues, it's still a Corvette concept in style and branding. Borrowing design elements is different than borrowing an emblem, especially one so iconically used to say "hey, look at this here TransAm!" I still think it's an excellent custom and my qualm in no way detracts from the creators work.

16. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Fantastic repaint. It really works on that mold and just screams Tracks! The Autobot sticker on his cheat in robot mode is my only issue with it, just seems out of place against the nice paint job.

17. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

brilliant

18. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

That head works so well for tracks. Love that paint! Great job!

19. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    didn't mean to insult you, but it was my understanding that this corvette is *the* special anniversary-type edition for all corvettes of the past, and corvette seems to be chevy's "crown jewel" of their sports cars. like you said though, it doesn't belong nor make sense a firebird logo on a corvette. As a fellow basher, I would see this and assume the artist used a water slide kit from a firebird model.

A nice emblem would be a monotone stingray morphing into flames....

maybe somethign like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  20. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

that looks bad ass, I was debating on making tracks from mine.