Minor/Repaint: RotF Tracks, WiP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Phoenix Blaze, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Well this is something I started when DLX Sideswipe was first released. I had this long gap of a month or two where I didn't do anything, so here's the current WiP.

It's my first time painting a TF, and things I've learned are, thinner coats of gloss and waiting longer for said coats to dry. There are a few areas that are splotchy and where I need to smooth done the gloss and re-apply it, but that's what the term WiP is for :wink: 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Dex Antares

Dex Antares I am a Meat Popsicle

Absolutely beautiful~ Slap on the flame decals and I might just have to ask if you could make me one too!

3. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    hasbro really needs to release him in these colors, they work so good.

4. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

I can't believe we got Swerve instead of this! Hasbro! Take notice! Good work my friend. I love the shiny torso!

5. Dex Antares

Dex Antares I am a Meat Popsicle

If the fans pestered Has/Tak enough, y'think we might be able to get a decent Tracks repaint?

6. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Thanks for the comments folks.

The second I saw this toy I just knew he'd make a great Tracks. Being a Corvette, and well, just his overall look screamed Tracks to me.

Hopefully I can get this guy finished in a few weeks, but I've realised, due to the layers of paint and gloss, his head is a bit snug during transformation, so I may be keeping him in robot mode from now on, which I don't mind.

7. Omega Magnus

Omega Magnus Gorillabot

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Nice work dude. I hope hastak releases one like this.

8. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    The paint applications look pretty smooth. Great work in that regard. :thumb 

I do think that the color scheme needs a little work. With all the work getting that blue to go on so well I'm surprised that you left a lot of his body ('bot mode) unpainted. IMO, it would look much better if you added more blue panels in robot mode, especially his thighs, forearms, and torso. I'm also not very fond of the head. There is so much detail on that headsculpt that is just drowned out by simply painting it in flat white and red. Some dark washes would help highlight these details on the head as well as those on the rest of the body.

(Of course, I don't know if you are planning to do these things, this is a WIP thread after all)

I hope you don't think I'm being too harsh. While I understand the desire to go with a very G1 color scheme, I think it's also important to plan out how these colors will go with the very detailed movie molds, as well as take some artistic liberties to make them look better overall. Still, this is a very good first custom by anyone's standard. I just hope that I was able to help. :)