ROTF The Game DLC Review

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Boardwise, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here are some of my thoughts on the DLC for Revenge of the Fallen video game on XBox 360

Maps:
    Courtyard.

Urban locations with 4 skyscrapers and some open areas for fighting in, however the smaller buildings that are in other areas of the map make it feel claustrophobic IMO. The added effects to the sky are a nice touch, with lightening flashing in the clouds and buildings on fire in the distance.

Hillside
    More open than the Courtyards with plenty of alleyways to escape and attack enemies in. The cathedral you can hide in is a nice touch, as are the buildings on fire. Give the map a battle field feel to it.

Sandstorm
    Looks to be the same map that you fight Devastator on, with the area he walks about on clear and the smaller buildings making up the centre.

Characters:
    G1 Optimus Prime

G1 is back with a bang. Proportions for Prime are spot on and he is well animated. Moves smoothly and transformers into his old cab mode much like the figure does (no trailer though) along with the old sound (though it might have been updated a little bit). Uses his old gun for his primary and secondary weapons (just the one gun for this Prime) and has his plasma axe from the ‘More Than Meets the Eye’ episode as his melee attack.

TF1 Jazz
    Jazz is a fast character, both in robot and vehicle mode and this carries over to his weapons as well, firing them quickly. Transforms in a similar manner as he does in the first movie with him spinning around which is a nice touch.

Sideswipe (Original and G1 colours)
    Looks like he jumped out of the movie screen and onto the console (might explain why he wasn’t in many scenes) Skates about the maps on his wheels, but isn’t as fast at moving as Jazz. Transforms to vehicle mode as if he’s about to lie down. The G1 colour scheme is a nice touch.

Stealth Bumblebee
    Same as the original Bumblebee, but with a new paint job to made him match the Stealth figure that was released.

Jetfire
    Another slow character, but does make up on it with his weapons. When his melee attacks it sounds like metal. Alt mode does lack aerial dodges and the weapon in that mode is bombs being dropped to the ground, which is good if there isn’t any other fliers on the map but bad if there is as Jetfire is a sitting duck.

G1 Colours Ratchet
    Like Bumblebee this is just a colour change and no other alterations. Does look similar to the figure that came out towards the end of the first movie and is a nice touch.

G1 Megatron
    Like Prime, Megatron is faithful to the old model but doesn’t have a alternative mode. Instead Megatron just flies when you go to transform him and does move quicker in this mode than walking. Uses the energy ball and chain from the ‘More Than Meets the Eye’ episode as his melee attack and his fusion canon as his weapon. His special mode is a powerful blast from his canon, and Frank Welker supplies his voice.

Soundwave
    Looks more like a G1 coloured Soundwave than his movie counterpart. Vehicle mode is reminiscing of Vector Prime rather than a satellite hovering over the map, and has a different special attack depending on which mode he is in. Vehicle will release a jammer pod that will chip away at any foe on the ground while his robot alt fire will release a turret that pounds the ground and could be the movieverse version of Rumble. Sadly no Ravage or Lazerbeak specials. Frank Welker again supplies his voice to add to that G1 feel.

G1 Starscream
    Like the other G1 characters, Starscream is faithful to the old model and his voice isn’t just a reuse of the movie Starscream, it’s much more in line with the old Starscream G1 fans old and new will remember. Transforms much as the Classic figure does and looks good. To top it all off his alt fire is Megatron in gun mode (with all the extras attached) and fires a devastating shot.

G1 Sunsorm
    Not just a reskin of G1 Starscream, Sunstorm has a different weapon set and alt fire. This time he has a close range flamethrowers, similar to Long Hauls and also a overheat function similar to Breakaways. Both weapons fit Sunstorm perfectly.

Extra’s
    There have been some new achievements added in the pack for both single and MP modes but majority of them are for the MP mode and seem to be a case of killing a certain opponent using a certain character. The new Expert mode does bring a couple of achievements (completing the game with 75% completion) but it doesn’t seem to add much to the single player game. After completing it previously I don’t feel the need to go back and play it on this new mode. Also added in this update is the ability to play more characters on existing single player maps, which is a welcome addition and the new characters (like Jazz’s speed) might help with some of those missing platinum medals.

Final Thought
    Overall the new DLC is pretty well priced at 800 MS points for the host of new character models added to the game. The Expert mode does seem a little bit pointless to be added at this point in the games lifecycle and the new maps don’t offer much difference to the existing ones, but new maps are always welcome and the thought of having a multiplayer battle with G1 Prime vs. G1 Megatron is nice and there have been a lot of excellent touches in the new characters (plus the opening up of them in the single player mode)

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TF:ROTF DLC Thoughts
    by Vangelus

Listeners of the WTF@TFW podcast may already be aware of my thoughts going in to this DLC: It all looks very neat, but walks a fine line of potentials. It could be some great game-enhancing additions, or it could be the G1 skin unlockables from the first movie game all over again. So how did it fare?

MULTIPLAYER MAPS
    They're generally effective, mostly in providing some more variety to spice up online play.

NEW CHARACTERS
    This is the meat of it, and what most are going to buy the DLC for. Once you filter out the reskins, it's still quite impressive how many entirely new models get added to the game's roster.

G1 Prime:
    He looks great, moves great, and has all the right weapons. A nice touch is that not only does he use a G1-styled transformation sound effect, but there's a smaller one when he draws or holsters his weaponry. Decent amount of work was put into making sure that despite being blockier, he still looked vaguely realistic. I really enjoyed how doing a boost-jump in vehicle mode was extremely reminicent of the time he did it in the original TF movie.

G1 Megatron:
    I went into this one expecting disappointment, and came out rather pleased. Indeed, he still 'transforms' by taking flight, but as two other characters in the game already do that it doesn't feel as out of place as in the first movie game. Like Prime, his design runs a great cross between the classic look and realistic grit, and all his signature weapons are there. Sadly though, he lacks the classic 80's fusion cannon noises, but that's a small gripe.

G1 Starscream:
    My personal favourite of the bunch, and a real runaway success. It's broken-record at this point, but again I love how his design walks the line between retro and modern. Also, I find him a lot more fun to play than movieverse Starscream. The combination of rapidfire null rays and homing missile bursts is topped off by having a copy of Megatron's special move, only done by firing the G1 Megatron altmode! His voicework is also marvelous, as it's the one in the DLC that really leapt out at my ears as being new and unique.

'G1' Sunstorm:
    I was surprised by this addition, and I do have to say it's nice that he's designed as an entirely different play experience than Starscream. The flamethrowers combined with his flight make for interesting gameplay. Sadly he re-uses G1 Starscream's voice clips (unless I really missed something), but I'm very impressed that he isn't a simple skin option.

Soundwave:
    Definitely leaning more towards the G1-homage style of design, Soundwave is extremely blue. But, he adds yet another flier to the Decepticon ranks, and his special move summons Rumble! At least, I like to pretend it's Rumble. Regardless, it's nice that the special move isn't a simple retread of Ironhide's sentry drone.

TF '07 Jazz:
    He's back from the dead! Jazz is a welcome addition to the Autobot roster, adding some compact speed to the group. I also really like the new achievement that revolves around him. :lol  I admit though, I wish there was some kind of easter egg in which melee-ing him to death with Megatron would result in some FATALITY goodness.

Sideswipe:
    Like many, I was really disappointed to see him left out of the game at launch. Sideswipe adds a sense of completion to the Autobot roster, though I find his robot mode walking speed to be way too slow. He makes up for it with some really fun melee moves, and a special move in which he launches his blades for bisection funtimes!

Stealth Bumblebee:
    If you really love the old '07 redeco, then your hour has come. If you don't, then at least you can choose to be a slightly less obvious target in multiplayer!

G1 Colors Ratchet:
    Another choice of style more than anything else, this allows you to take the form of another '07 redeco. It still looks female to me, which makes my play experience delightfully disturbing when Ratchet starts speaking. :D 

Jetfire:
    Sadly a multiplayer-only addition, Jetfire has a lot of size and a pretty amusing voice. But to my disappointment, transforming into vehicle mode looks cool...and just looks cool. His ranged weapon of dropping bombs is interesting but difficult to use effectively, his lack of aerial maneuvers makes him an easy target, and overall it's a shame that such a cool altmode doesn't really accomplish much in-game. You tend to forget that after setting off his very useful radar special move, though.

Aerialbot:
    He's not entirely new, but now we can use him in single-player! And I'm happy about that- Aerialbot was oddly enough one of my favourite characters to use in multiplayer.

OTHER EXTRAS
    There are just a few more bells and whistles to top things off, and I am glad that there's a nice virtual cherry on top of all the characters and maps.

Expert Mode:
    I admit, I didn't try it yet. I honestly do intend to, but I haven't felt inspired yet. Really, the DLC -almost- gets me ready to play more longterm singleplayer between the new characters and the expert mode, but the addition of new cutscenes or storyline based on the new characters really would have finished off an excellent trifecta.

New Achievements:
    Generally I'm liking these in concept. They encourage you to play Expert Mode, and to use the new characters in multiplayer. Most of them make sense, so they're a neat if forgettable touch.

OVERALL
    If you like or love the ROTF game, this is a recommended buy for how packed it is. If you wanted something to inspire you to buy (or buy back) the game...you might want to check it out on a friend's copy first. There's nothing truly groundbreaking, but the DLC really excels in the sheer number of unique character additions it provides. I wasn't expecting much out of the G1 guys, and they ended up impressing me a lot more than I thought they would. Starscream and Sunstorm alone were worth it to me, and I'm sure almost anyone can find a character or three that make the DLC enticing. At the end of the day, look at this DLC for its characters (and then be happy that there are a few little things sprinkled on top).

3. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

no offense, but both of you seemed to miss the fact that Soundwave's Jammer Pod IS Laserbeak. You can hear the squeak if you are close enough and it looks like a round bird.

I agree with Vangelus how it would be cool to see them add in actual cutscenes into the campaign. That would be enough for me to play the campaign again. But I tried the expert mode there really isn't much special about it. You die a little bit faster, platinum time is next to impossible, I think you earn a little less energon, and enemies dodge a little bit more it seems (get out of the way when you shoot bombs and stuff)

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually walked up to mine, and I really thought he was like a spasmic little Rumble guy. D: Dude is totally Rumblebeak.

5. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    well i know theres 2 little guys he deploys, one in his vehical mode, and one in robot mode.
    In robot mode, its the little rumble looking guy,
    and in vehical mode is laserbeak, you have to fly high to find him.

EDIT:
    Sorry for the really crappy pics, im not really sure if how(if theres anyway to) screen cap on the system.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  6. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Soundwave fires out Rumble if you use his special in robot mode, and Laserbeak if you use his special in vehicle mode.

7. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    Sounds great. May have to join Xbox live for this one. Just don't look forward to 9-year olds from Arkansas telling me I'm a faggot.

8. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So Megatron only transforms to gun mode in a cinema?

They didn't learn a damn thing.

9. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    I have yet to get the DLC, but after hearing/reading all of this I might have to get it. :D 

10. squawkbox74

squawkbox74 Mawile enthusiast

Soundwave finally got enough magic points to cast "Summon Electric Midget"

11. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    The Laserbeak thing was already pointed out but Frank Welker didn't voice Soundwave in the game, Peter Jessop did.

No offense but you guys might want to do a little more research before righting a review on this. :) 

Randy

12. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I'm surprised that neither of these reviews really touched on Jazz and Sideswipes near broken-ness. Both are extremely powerful characters, to the point where if you pick up this game now and play online, you'll be seeing plenty of matches filled with nothing but those two.

They do have counter-characters in Long Haul and Grindor, but its unfortunate that you kind of get forced into playing as them if you're stuck in a match with a bunch of Jazz and Sideswipes (and don't want to just get gang ****ed).

13. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

i dont know why they say it now
    the dlc has been in the uk for a month and a half

14. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But why, when we have people like you who can correct us :p 

And its 'writing' not 'righting'

15. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

Pwned :cool: 

16. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Something I will point out to my English teacher tommorow.

17. PoweredConvoy

News Credits:
    Nice! :D  That's what I get for quickly typing this at work.

Randy

18. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    And here I was hoping Meg's alt mode would be a giant flying gun.

Think about it.

Giant. Flying. Gun.

How freaking cool would that be? Then you just reskin that into Shockwave.

Because nothing, but NOTHING is more awesome than giant flying guns.

Still great review guys. Makes me want the game and DLC more.

19. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Assuming that I eventually pick up RotF, would the DLC ber worth paying for if I only intended to play single player?

(I can't stand competitive online multiplayer for consoles, I'm far too uncoordinated compared to a PC)

20. PoweredConvoy

News Credits:
    I think it's worth it if even just single player. Granted some characters are unlocked when you complete some tasks (and not everyone is playable on every mission) but they definitely add some variety and fun to single player.

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.