Minor/Repaint: ROTF The Fallen w/ Ancient Staff & new neck + movie colors

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SentinelPrime, Jul 9, 2009.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    UPDATED WITH NECK MOD TUTORIAL< PG 3

Hello one and all! I love these forums, and I'm excited to show you guys my take on The First Decepticon, The Fallen, from ROTF. He includes the staff and he's sporting a new super-articulated neck.

Ok...so, let's see. After taking him apart, lightly sanding the parts and then washing them, I painted everything silver. Then, using Tamiya clear orange, I painted all the fire-detail line work. Then, I dry brushed the entire figure with Testor's Model Master gunmetal. After that, I went back in with silver and orange and cleaned up any fire details. Once the gunmetal was finished, I went back to dry brush in silver, because the step after that was dry brushing over the silver highlights with clear green, clear blue and flesh wash, to really give him that ancient, worn look, yet provide some grimy color as in the film; I wanted him to look filthy, yet still metal underneath it all. The neck was constructed using a cool little ball joint with a hoop, which I'll post in WIP shots later. I then encased the neck in a knee-wrap from a WWE figure, to give it this cool hose look. Check out the pics...I absolutely LOVE the way the neck turned out. He can look every direction possible, even straight up. It allows him to pose all crouched over like in the film, see above pics.

I'm also very proud of the way the staff turned out. The translucent dry-brushing really gave him this patina, opalescent appearance, but not on every part, didn't want to over do it, in the film he's filthy, and the color is sparse, although it's there. The inferno effects really shine like crazy. I even tried to work in a couple of Cybertronian symbols into the staff.

The end result captures the film version of the Fallen, a dirty, ancient gunmetal look, with translucent dark green, blue and rusty highlights, yet still with some silver metal showing through. The translucent, reflective inferno effects were lastly highlighted in the center areas with some light yellow. The staff, in the film I simply remembered is as looking like a gnarled staff, not unlike a wood-texture, with a few random glowy-spheres planted into the staff. I recaptured it from memory, using a piece of metal coathanger, then encasing it with Apoxie-Sculpt, and implanting some cool little blue and clear orbs as I went. I then painted it in the same fashion as the Fallen himself. It connects to his creepy little hand using a very strong rare-earth magnet. It was many, many stages of painting and clean-up, but it was totally worth it, as I think it came out looking far more like the screen-version than the bland military green figure to begin with.

He retains all articulation and transformation.

Attached Files:

2. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    More pics....

Attached Files:

3. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Very nice work. It's really amazing to me how much the full potential of these new ROTF figures are met by customizing.

I've done some repainting/detailing on a good amount of them myself and it's amazing how much better they look, even with minimal modding.

What you've done with the Voyager Fallen is fantastic.:thumbs2: 

4. Bumblebee2008

Bumblebee2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A very nice custom!! I love the paint work and the way you've captured the whole style from the movie!! The staff is also a very nice touch!!

I'd love to see more pictures of the neck mod, all the other threads i've seen where a mod has been made to the neck, the mod had affected the transformation!!! Yours doesn't seem to have affected it at all!!!

Again excellent work!

5. Dave_6

Dave_6 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome!

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Stunning. You've captured the look of the Fallen from the movie perfectly.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Very nice, but didn't the stuff in the movie have a blade? :confused: 

8. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    I couldn't find a pic of it anywhere.....just went from memory.

9. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Definitely a huge improvement over Hasbro's release. Great job :) 

I think he had a spear in the movie though.

10. IF_IR_IE_IE_ID

IF_IR_IE_IE_ID USAF Seeker

Ebay:
    the third picture looks particularly sick man. great work

11. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very cool! I was waiting for someone to add a neck and still be able to transform. Looks great cannot wait for the WIP. The staff is great!

12. caretaker27

caretaker27 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    that paint job is excellent, i would love to see some close ups of the neck, or any wip shots. now you just need to work on the other primes hehe. top notch work

13. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    I think you are the first one to actually have blue on the head.

Its excellent!

14. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Wow, great job! I agree with drill! Haven't seen one with blue frills till now! Awesome, simply awesome!

15. Bulletbill

Bulletbill Maverick

Wow that's great! Awesome job.

16. cypherXR

cypherXR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best and most accurate paint job of The Fallen yet. All it needs now is some LEDs to make him glow!

17. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

sweet

18. red4

red4 Banned

I thought his spear was spiky and segmented like Predator's, only not as bulky. In fact, when I saw The Fallen with that spear, it reminded me of the spear Megatron used in Optimus Prime's explanation of the war in TF1.

19. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nicely done sir. This the best repaint of the fallen I've seen yet. The only thing keeping this from being 100% perfect is that the fingers don't move, lol.

20. OPMEGS1.0

OPMEGS1.0 I Dislike Hotshot's jam!

Ebay:
    Well FINALLY someone got the idea, but you forgot the solar things that attach to his hands.

Just remold some un-used translucent stuff to mold it like the solar things.