ROTF: The "Core" Characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shadow25, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey all,

My little cousin has now become a TF fan due to the movies, and he wants to get a small collection of figures that won't cost too much overall and represent the main characters of the movies. He definitely wants Devastator, and were going to fill in the main cast from there. He also wants to keep a decent scale (he's pretty saavy for an 8 year old kid) I'd say characters like Arcee and the Doctor won't wind up in his collection, but can you guys help me make a solid list of figures for him to try and get? Keep in mind it will probably be no more than 6-7 on each side and at most 15 total.

Right now he's got:

Autobots:
    Voyager Optimus Prime
    Deluxe Sideswipe
    FAB Jetfire

Decepticons:
    Blackout (We're using him as both Grindor and Blackout)
    Scorponok

Some others I'm considering for him:
    Voyager Megs \
    Voyager Fallen Pretty much must-haves
    Voyager Starscream /
    Deluxe Ratchet
    Deluxe Bumblebee (leaning towards Cannon, not sure)
    Voyager Ironhide (which one? grey or Jungle Attack?)

I'm thinking about the Ice Cream Twins (it would save cash as a two in one) and Soundwave, although he's not totally sure if he wants him due to his short screentime in the movie.

Any other suggestions?

2. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

mixmaster, longhaul, rampage and soundwave.

3. Shadow25

News Credits:
    Alright, if my cousin gets Devastator I don't think he's going to be interested in the individual Constructicons, and I already posted thoughts on Soundwave.

4. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    for ironhide, definitely get the grey one.. for bumblebee, if u dont have the '07 deluxe bumblebee, then get the other ROTF bee, preview bumblebee.. its much better, although pretty much identical to the '07 version.. i dont personally like the cannon BB at all..

u might also want to look at ravage, he's pretty awesome.. ice cream truck twins too are awesome.. u mention deluxe ratchet, do u mean the voyager?

5. Shadow25

News Credits:
    I mean the Deluxe Ratchet coming out next year, my cousin is familiar enough with Ratchet to want him but not at the higher price tag. And as I think was clearly implied when I listed his current figures he does not have BB. Also keep in mind this is for a 9 year old, so they don't have to be perfect in the way we older fans look at them.

Also I'm not talking about just any 'good' figure, I'mtalking about good figures of major/well-known characters. For example... I think Jolt is a great figure, but he's not someone my couins would have interest in.

6. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    i would suggest jungle attack ironhide because of his massive arsenal of weapons.

7. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Interesting he has Sideswipe when he wants core characters...But the little guy does have good taste in cars doesn't he?:) 

Uhhh...I recommend...The Icecream twins...and Barricade. Both are lots of fun. I have Movie 1 Thundercracker, a repaint of Screamer, and I like him. Go for Deep Space Starscream though due to the better paint applications! Movie 2 Screamer? I don't own him.

8. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Uh yeah, a 2 year old premium figure isn't probably gonna fly with a 9 yr old trying not to spend a bundle...

9. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

'07 Ironhide is great in my book. Barricade and Ravage too. He really needs some form of Starscream. My suggestion: wait 'til Leader Screamer comes out and buy him for a holiday or birthday gift, whichever is closest.

10. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

True. Guess I hadn't thought of that.:lol 

But If you can find him cheap, he looks like a great figure.

11. Shadow25

News Credits:
    Yeah, we're probably not going to go into Leader territory since I think he made up his mind on scale when he bought voyager Optimus. Probably gonna go with the Voyager, though I'll get the Leader for sure.

I'm going to suggest Barricade, since he was one of his favorite characters in the 07 DS game. Ravage will probably only be bought if Soundwave is, which is only a maybe at this time.

Thing is, I would be more knowledgable if I opened my figures, almost all are sealed and will stay that way until we get official confirmation on any premiums.

I'm thinking the Gathering at Nemesis could round out his Con roster well, so as a decision maker, what's the general consensus on the movie 1 vs. movie 2 Megatron voyager molds? I don't own either.

Thanks for the help guys.

12. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Though I love Soundwave in general, his RotF figure isn't that great (alt. modes don't lock together very well, the 'triple change' gimmick is lame, he's barely taller than Ravage) so I wouldn't recommend him on his own but with the Nemesis set it's not a bad idea (plus I admit I like the new paint job).

The grey Ironhide looks ugly to me, and doesn't look anything like the film; at least the Jungle Ironhide doesn't create the 'bitter beer face' reaction that the grey one does.

Definetly pass on the current Voyager Ratchet. It's ugly. You may as well see if you can scrounge up the normal one from the first film.

Long Haul is awesome. Demolishor grows on you, but it might be more fun to have if your cousin was collecting Legends figures instead.

The ice cream truck is awesome, does kill two birds with one stone, and isn't as much of a pain to transform as either the normal Skids or Mudflap.

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm surprised Ravage isn't on your list of "core," IMO he really steals the show in certain parts of RotF. Doesn't fit well with the scale I suppose. Of course, neither does Ironhide, really. Is his FAB toy any good? I mean, you are already going in that direction for Jetfire, and he's probably a bit closer to Deluxe Ratchet's size.

14. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I know the ice-cream twins will get you both Mudflap + Skids, but they only had a coouple mins on screen in that mode. If it were me, I'd get him Skids and Mudflap in thier upgraded modes. Plus it provides a solid transformation challenge. Might be a little much - difficulty wise. Maybe the legends versions then.