ROTF Takara v. Hasbro Comparisons

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by influence82, Dec 4, 2009.

1. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I recently received my shipment of Japanese exclusive toys and noticed subtle differences between the packaging and variations of Takara and Hasbro toys. This thread will show and discuss variations between the two companies releases of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Toys.

First I will start with ROTF leader Class Optimus Prime. Takara designates it as RA-01. The box is the same with Takara adding Japanese labeling. The toy itself has one minor difference in the part that connects the neck to the chest below the head. Hasbro has it red and Takara has it grey, more movie accurate.
    [​IMG]

With RA-03 Deluxe Bumblebee (commonly called preview Bumblebee), there is no difference in the toy, just the packaging is different. I believe with all Takara deluxes, they only use tape to wrap the blister around the card. There is no glue used as with Hasbro. EDIT: Soundwave and Bumblebee were a mass release and only Legends Mudflap and the Fallen were exclusive to Lawson's stores.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RD-04 Deluxe Soundwave (or preview Soundwave) has a noticeable variation. Also an exclusive in Japan, notice that Ravage in the Takara version is stored in Soundwave's missile launcher in the back. There is also a rubber band keeping his chest open. The presentation looks a little better than Hasbro's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bumblebee came with Legends/EZ Collection Mudflap and Soundwave came with Legends/EZ Collection The Fallen. The toys and packaging are the same as their Hasbro counterparts except for the Japanese Labeling. The Takara versions also have instructions and propaganda in the back of the toys.
    [​IMG]
    As with all EZ collection toys, there are no Takara collector's numbers (RA-XX or RD-XX).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I do not have the Hasbro versions but you can figure out the difference easily.

Takara's Tokyo Toy Show 2009 Exclusive Optimus Prime is the exactly the same as Hasbro's Voyager Optimus Prime with exception of the missing Chinese characters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There is no Takara collector's number for this toy. I do not read Japanese, but it does show some exclusive thing on the labeling.
    [​IMG]

For RA-24 Leader Buster Optimus Prime, not only is the toy made differently but the packaging is entirely customized. There are no stickers on RA-24: everything you see on the box is printed just for this toy. Here I am comparing it with RA-01, since RA-01 has the exact same packaging as Hasbro with the exception of the Japanese labels. Also in these pictures you can tell the difference between having a sticker and not having a sticker.
    Notice that the window shades are placed in a movie accurate position (I did not move them). The "Try me" button text is also black, making it hard to see but was probably used to appear better in the background.
    [​IMG]
    The only side that is the same.
    [​IMG]
    They have another picture of Buster Prime with Jetfire.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They advertise all leaders including RA-01. But I do not think that many people would buy RA-01 after they have RA-24.
    [​IMG]
    The back of the Buster Prime box is just icing on the cake, as it shows in detail the toy's unique features. No mention of chrome even though you can see it in the picture. The bio and tech specs are the same. They probably wrote the features in English to be consistent, even though it will most likely never be sold by Hasbro.
    [​IMG]

2. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Many thanks for the info!

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Bumblebee and Soundwave were also available as mass releases in Japan.

The only thing exclusive to the Lawson versions was the addition of EZ Collection Mudflap and The Fallen, which were not available anywhere else in Japan. But Bumblebee and Soundwave were identical to the Japanese single mass releases.

4. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Nice work. It looks as if the blue eyes on Bumblebee are not as pronounced on the Japanese versio.

5. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

I remember reading somewhere that the kanji symbols got taken off because in Japanese it read "Master Chef", when in Chinese it was suppose to read "Master Chief".

6. influence82

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    That would explain the Takara Collector's numbers. According the the TFW news and the TakaraTomy website, it explains the process of ordering the toys:
    Transformers ROTF Lawson's Exclusives Announced - Transformers News

Thanks. The Bumblebees are exactly the same. In the picture, the head is facing at a different angle. I looked at the paint applications from all angles and could not tell the difference.

By the way, did you know Legends Mudflap is the most common exclusive toy? This is where you can find it:
    1. Hasbro individual mass release
    2. w/ Deluxe Bumblebee (Lawson same as Hasbro mass release)
    3. Fury of Fearswoop (Walmart battle damage)
    4. Straightaway Shootout (Target desert sand)
    5. Rally Mudflap and Offroad Skids (TBA Target 2 pack racing deco)

When I receive more toys I will add more pictures. So stay tuned.

7. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    interesting read. thanks for doing this :thumb 

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks awesome, the only way Hasbro can improve upon this is to bring it over as is, but with an all new head which has a retractable battle mask. TakaraTomy did a GREAT job with the deco and gun on Buster Prime. I'm tempted to buy it.

9. interceo

interceo Well-Known Member

that gun optimus prime has really looks great, it should be sell as an accesory for our first class leader version.

10. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Thanks for sharing the info, been wondering what the differences are. :) 

I saw a Takara version of the Scout Class Ejector, no difference i noticed from the Hasbro version exept for the Takara sticker/label.

11. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you've already answered this question- but just to be sure.

The blue on RA-1 leader prime is the same blue used on the US leader prime, and not the same as the blue used on Buster Prime, right?

If by some chance the RA-1 blue did match buster prime instead of the US version I might be tempted to get one so the colors on the old Prime head would properly match the body color on buster Prime.

12. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

Why is it "Buster"?

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Ask TakaraTomy.

Why is it "back tanks"?

14. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I just got back from Lawsons - preordered my desert Skids and Mudflap DVD set. It looks like it comes with a black EZ Bumblebee too...

15. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for the info! I love to be updated with the difference between the Japanese and American versions.

Are you thinking of getting Jetfire, too? Are there any differences?

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So it seems that with the exception of the upcoming white Demolishor and the various exclusives that are coming out, those of us who buy only paint/deco variants between the lines need only pick up the voyager OP and Buster OP and we should be good to go.

17. influence82

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Takara RA-01 has the exact same plastic color as Hasbro Movie Leader Optimus Prime, only that red chest piece is different.

I do not have have to plan to buy Takara RA-13 Jetfire. I am 99% certain that the toys are exactly the same. The release dates for both versions were quite close, so I do not think they made any changes. Here is a picture of Takara RA-13 Jetfire, courtesy of RobotKingdom:
    [​IMG]
    Looking at the picture there is no difference.

The best English translation for the word "Buster" that I can think of is "BFG".

The ROTF line is going to run for about 2 years, so there are still more chances for redecos and remolds. Keep in mind Takara MA-21 Movie Leader Optimus Prime was one of the last Movie toys to be released by Takara and it was one the best toys of the line released 1.5 years after the movie. In my opinion, Buster Optimus Prime was released too soon after the release of RA-01. It is certainly one of the best if not the best, but they could have done more like put rubber tires. RA-24 may have been released recently in order to preempt the release of the DVD in Japan. Japan's Transformers Revenge DVD Release date was December 18, 2009. The Black Leader Optimus Prime is also coming soon.

18. influence82

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Here are some comparisons between Hasbro and Takara TFM toys.
    In Real Gear Speed Dial 800, Takara has 8.4.07 instead of 7.07.07 on the display sticker to reflect the Japanese release date.
    [​IMG]

Takara Deluxe Bumblebee (Classic Camaro) has clear windows and missiles instead of painted windows and yellow missiles. The Metallic Gold Lawson Bumblebee has no painted damage on it. Also of note The Evolution of a Hero Bumblebee Classic Camaro is the only version with a pinstripe on the automorph button on the hood.
    [​IMG]

Takara Lawson Blackout (right) has matte paint whereas Hasbro Premium Series Blackout has a glossy paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Lawson mini Scorponok (right) has less contrasting colors
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Takara Nightwatch Optimus Prime had gold and black instead of AllSpark Blue.
    [​IMG]

Takara repainted Voyager Incinerator. Takara replaced the all the gray parts with black and used metallic paint instead of black. They kept the AllSpark blue, though.
    [​IMG]

Takara Deluxe Landmine (right) includes an AllSpark cube, darker color scheme, and rubber tires.
    [​IMG]

19. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Just to point out the Black and gold Night Watch Prime was available in the UK (maybe Europe?) as well.

20. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Glad to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to track down every damn variant and exclusive from both movie lines. :lol